Turkey Discussion Forum

Discussions regarding holidays in Turkey.
theres the huge market there on a tuesday, and also a some nice shops ,
and restaurants just left of the place where the traffic turns (near the harbour ) does this make any sense :? i am by no means an expert but i was there back in may for the day and our rep ( who has lived in turkey for 17yrs ) showed us around this area.
I remember thinking much the same thing when I first went there. Since then we have been a few times and really enjoyed it, once with my daughter turkish boyfriend, who took us to the fish market. This is to the left on the main market if you have your back to the sea. There are fresh fish stalls where you can choose your fish, prawns etc and then take them to any of the restaurant that surround the square and they will prepare and cook it for you. There are plently of helpers around to guide you to there restaurant. The evening is obviously the time to go there. We have had a couple of fabulous evenings there, sometime you get musical accompanyment.

Also in the main market, just near entrance opp harbour is a antique shop. We spent ages looking at the stuff in there. Antique weapons and stuff that was really fascinating.

There are plenty of bars dotted around to either site outside to drink or go inside for a dance. I think the later you visit the better. Then it all gets going.

Wendy
Do you buy the fish immediately prior to going to the restaurants to have it cooked. Say you want to eat at 8pm is the fish market still operating that late, or do you have to buy earlier in the day and get the restaurtant to keep it for you.
:oops: Sorry can't get my head round how it works.
If you in the Fish Market with your back to the sea walk towards the left and stroll around the The Lanes. This is the old part of Fethiye that was not destroyed by earthquake many years ago. It is a lovely area, shops, restaurants. It is where The Duck Pond Restaurant is with you guessed it a duck pond. There is also Shopping Mall at the end. We would never have found it only some directed us. You can also go to Chalis in the water taxi we saw a turtle there a few weeks ago. Nice boat trip about half hour.
Margaret
The market is open until 8 or 9 at night. or may be later. You buy it just before you want to eat it. Possible you could buy it earlier in the day and go back. We would never do that in this country but knowing Turkey you could possible trust them to remember that you had paid for the fish earlier in the day. Maybe they give you a recept.

Anyone looking for the fish market should note the turkish name for fish is Balek. Follow the signs!

Wendy
If you like looking at ruins, there is an ancient amphitheatre in Fethiye, quite near the harbour.
Thanks for the replies, they will be very useful.
YOu could also just head to the bus depot near the Mosque and get on a dolmus to anywhere.

Opposite the bus station, and down the little side streets is a small restaurant called Imran Manti - it is fantastic.

We stumbled on it one day and had the most fab lunch - we were the only tourists in there and the owner who spoke very good English was very surprised to see us. He took lots of time to tell us all about the food and the area.

And our lunch cost us 10mill Lira :o Main Course, dessert, tea for me and Turkish coffee for Mr G.

8)
Just come back from Fethiye, and learnt on our penultimate day that there is a Hydrofiol from Fethiye to Rhodes. Not to sure of all of the details other than it was bookable through an office nearly oppisite the Gima supermarket, parallel to the marina promenade. Cost was i think £35. 0830 departure, 1800 return, 90 minite sailing.

Was sorry we found it as late as we did but have pencilled the trip in for next year.
If you go to the harbour you can get the water taxi to Calis beach for the day, very nice trip.
As previous said go to the bus depot, go anywhere you like from there.
We went into Kalkan stayed over night at a pension, great experience, had a wonderful turkish meal with the family, who once they realized we wanted to be sociable joined us, we taught them English and vice versa.
The next day off to Kas just up the road, all by bus.
Take a trip to Salikent gorge well worth the money, which also takes you to a beautiful park with waterfalls, stopping of for a meal in an area filled with butterflies of the most gorgeous colours.
Night time the area comes alive, with little shops and nice places to eat, try the Otterman bar, up the stairs by the duck pond, for an interseting place to have a drink, enjoy.
Joan.pw - can you please pm me with details of the pension you stayed in at Kalkan - we are thinking of doing the same thing this year.

Sorry if off topic
if you do take a trip around fethiye old town try the ottoman bar where you canhave a relaxing drink and a smoke on a huble bubble pipe with flavoured tobbaco also you will probably run in haggi the shoe shine man in his galatasary shirt as said before there are alot of nice restaurants in the old town the duck pond being one of the but for the more adventurerous do have a walk around the side streets the food is great and the prices are alot cheaper remember if the turkish use it it cant be bad ,
up by the big mosque opposite the school is sultans patissare it does the nicest kebabs and cakes it stays open long hours till very late sometimes midnight its a lovely place to end the evening
Maverick, where and how far is the old town from the dolmus station.

Thanks
Take the side road which runs between the cafe at the Dolmus station and the back of the Mosque, follow it as far as you can go. Cross the main road when you come to it and there you are. About a 10 minute stroll.
Thanks, another good place to add to my list. I should get to know Fethiye well at this rate.
A pleasant stroll in the evening is to head through the back streets up to the rock tombs. You go along some traditional residential lanes with lots of children running around and saying hello. Several houses have a juicer outside selling freshly squeezed orange juice. The view of Fethiye and the bay from the tombs is fantastic and worth the walk.
Holiday Truths Forum

Post a Reply

Please sign in or register an account to reply to this post.

Sign in / Register

Holiday Truths Forum Ship image

Get the best deals!

from our cruise, ski and holiday partners

You can change your email preferences at any time.

Yes, I want to save money by receiving personalised travel emails with awesome deals from Holiday Truths group companies which are hotholidays.co.uk,getrcuising.co.uk and getskiing.co.uk. By subscribing I agree to the Privacy Policy

No, thank you.