Flight Only / Airline and Airports

Discussions relating to flight only, airlines and airports.
Daft question alert:

But I've read that insectiside is not permitted on the Thomas Cook plane. I'm assuming that anything containing deet is classed as an insectiside, does this mean then that plug in mozzy repellents are not allowed? What about citronella oil? We've never had a problem before but we're going to Cuba so these can be hard to find.
dramaqueen,

If it's packed in your hold luggage, it's fine. I've never heard of a restriction by TCX on the carraige of items containing deet in the cabin, as long as you meet security restrictions with volumes.

Darren
I think that the restrictions about insecticides relate to industrial preparations or the sort of pesticides you might use in your garden rather than the sort of insect repellents that you are likely to want to take. And anyway Thomas Cook would have a problem themselves if they didn't allow insecticides since the Cuban authorities insist on the cabin crew using insect spray in the cabin before they open the doors on landing!

SM
Thanks you two

I saw it on the Thomas Cook Customer Community website and it was a member of staff who said, I'll assume that it's industrial strength 100%deet they were talking about.
SMA: that's exactly what I thought, I believe they have to spray the cabin before they open the doors.... this will be our 8th time to Cuba and we've never had a problem before :)

Especially also that you can buy these airside in boots! I still have the repel from last year's visit to Cuba, best stuff ever and it was only 3cuc for a massive bottle :)
SMa wrote:
the Cuban authorities insist on the cabin crew using insect spray in the cabin before they open the doors on landing!

SM

The Cuban authorities must only insist on TCX doing it, as they don't with all airlines landing into Cuba... Strange they pinpoint specific airlines.
Happened on every airline I've used - Virgin, Thomas Cook as recently as March this year and Cubana in years past. Happened with friends using Air France and Iberia too. Always done in a very perfunctory way but done just the same.

SM
thanks 4 reply, do u get same meals as thomsons, eg 2 meals on flights to mexico?
shamus wrote:
thanks 4 reply, do u get same meals as thomsons, eg 2 meals on flights to mexico?

Meal and a snack outbound, meal and breakfast inbound.
We've booked premium seats on TCX163 returning from Cancun and have the choice of the whole cabin. What's the pros & cons of picking Row1? I know A&B are close to WC and H&J are close to galley. Will the TV be the fold-out type or mounted in the bulkhead in H&J? Is there extra room in front of H&J; I suppose we will not be able to place things in front of us in H&J? Really tempted to take these seats as we'll not be bothered by people in front reclining but will the galley be a nuisance, especially on a night flight?

Thanks,

Jim

Merged with existing topic. Dazbo HT Mod
jim98,

Seating is personal preference really. Row 1 has a bulkhead in front so while the actual space in front of the seat is greater, there's no seat in front for your feet to go under so some like it, some don't. The tray tabll and IFE screen also folds from the arm rest making the seats marginally narrower. You will get a little noise from the galley, but it's nothing too distracting. If you fancy them, go for it as they are as good as most of the others.

Darren
Hi Darren

We are going on TCX 472 Man-SFB on 26th July, returning 9th August.

I know we are on a Airbus 330 and I think it comes in from Cancun before our flight. Do any of the TCX fleet still have underbody cameras on and if so which ones? Have been on TCX flights before with these on and its great watching the take offs and landings.
Closer to the day I might ask if you know which plane we will be on, although I the seat plans show them all having the toilets downstairs.

Thanks
Hi Darren

We have now finally booked our flights (thanks for the many replys on the mon/tom threads)!

We fly out on TCX 2038 (MAN-TFS) 12/07/13
return ZB 569 23/0713

I beleive these will be a 767 (TCX) and A300 (Mon). Do you know if these will have in IFE and also where the flights will be coming in from (I suspect it may be to early to tell yet)?
roadrunner,

All the TCX A332's have the external flight cameras fitted (pilot view and belly cam). It makes no difference which aircraft is assigned to your flight on the day as all the fleet up until November have the same interior, ie ex-MYT aircraft with the downstairs toilets.

Darren
james 84,

I'm pleased you've finally booked your flights. It was getting to the stage you needed a flights topic to yourself! IFE information is detailed on our What Aircraft? guide (link below). TCX2038 is the first flight out at 0700 for that aircraft. The aircraft comes in early morning then nightstops. ZB569 is the reciprocal of the outbound flight (ZB568 from MAN).

Darren
Darren

Thanks for the info. I also took your advice regarding seats and have booked the last 2 at the back of the plane as I also felt it gave a bit more leg room when we went on them last time as well as not having to worry about people sat behind.

Hopefully we don't have the problems that TCX had today at Manchester!!

We are planning to do day before check in and we take off at 09.50, would arriving at the Airport at 07.00 be too early?
roadrunner,

Issues arrise every so often, all airlines have that. TCX had an engine failure on one of their A332's yesterday that has lead to knock-on delays while it's sorted. It's up to you when you arrive at the airport. If you want to look around duty free, have breakfast, chill before your flight then 0700 might be a good time for you. As long as you're at the boarding gate around 45 minutes before your flight, bear in mind you'll need to leave enough time to clear security, arrive whenever it suits you best. The recommended check-in time for long haul is 3 hours before departure but if you've checked-in day before 1.5-2 hours is fine.

Darren
Hi Darren

we fly out next friday on a 767 TCX 2038 (MAN-TFS), do you know the reg number of the plane yet?

cheers
james 84,

They only operate three of the type (G-TCCA/B, G-DAJC) so it'll be one of them. It makes no difference as they are all the same. As they are rotated regularly, it's impossible to know this far in advance which it will be next week. They're all operating via MAN at the moment.

Darren
Hi all,

Any idea why TCX926 Gla-Sanford is delayed and when it will depart?

Holiday Truths Forum

Post a Reply

Please sign in or register an account to reply to this post.

Sign in / Register

Holiday Truths Forum Ship image

Get the best deals!

from our cruise, ski and holiday partners

You can change your email preferences at any time.

Yes, I want to save money by receiving personalised travel emails with awesome deals from Holiday Truths group companies which are hotholidays.co.uk,getrcuising.co.uk and getskiing.co.uk. By subscribing I agree to the Privacy Policy

No, thank you.