Tour Operators and Travel Agents

Discussions regarding Tour Operators and Travel Agents
Re: Thomas Cook
1042 Posts
Jay Trip wrote:
I dont mind not sitting next to my husband but I find the check in staff selling medical seats disgusting. :think

Why if they were going to be empty seats anyway? Surely it is better that they be sold rather than be empty, if there are people who decide they want extra legroom at the last moment ?
The check in staff should have the seating plan showing all medical seats that have been prebooked by the airline. If they aren't booked they should be available for sale. If someone arrives at check in wanting medical seats and haven't prebooked them, then there might be an issue, but that isn't the fault of the check in staff, or the airline.
When I checked in I was told there was no one sitting in front of us or in the aisle seat.
I knew the seats I was sitting in were not medical seats but as no one was actually in front of us which were medical seats I wasnt concerned.
I had booked them before departure with Thomas Cook airlines.
After we boarded 3 young men sat in front of us so I asked the one in front of me if he woudnt mind not reclining his seat as my knees were right up against his seat anyway.
One the way back we were again squeezed into seats that were not medical seats and i asked the crew if there were any other seats empty.
They moved us to row 11 and as we had 3 seats between us I could sit with my legs to the side.I am 5ft 10ins.
Another lady who had medical needs moved to the opposite side of the aisle in row 11 where she and her husband had 3 seats between them.
I spoke to one of the young men when we arrived home and asked him if he had to pay for the seat.
He was charged £40 for both ways.
I am tempted not to travel with TC again as Thomsons at least give medical seats to those who need them.
The medical seats are not legroom seats apart from 2c which is just in front of the toilets.
I would willing pay for a leg room seat but I am not allowed as I have a medical condition.
Jay Trip,

Had you requested medical seats? You don't mention aircraft type, but I assume those in front were bulkhead seats rather than exit row? You can't expect seats not to be allocated / sold if there are oportunities for the airline to do so. They operate on tight margins. If flights are fully booked, they will have to be allocated regardless of requirements. If medical seats are required, they can normally be pre-allocated.

Darren
If someone needs medical/assistance seating it has to be prebooked with the airline. If no one had done this, how would check in know, so why shouldn't they be sold? Anyone can prebook extra legroom, but not exit extra legroom.
I did book a medical seat with the airline before departure as I have done up to 4 times a year,
I know its a first come first served basis but to squeeze people with medical needs into seats that are not suitable and then sell the medical seats is disgusting in my opinion.
I had an email confirming this but the checking staff here were not interested.
What is the point booking them and even though they were available they completely ignored the request.
Someone on another forum had paid for leg room seats and on arrival they found they were sold to someone else.This was for a flight to Cuba so getting your money back is no compensation if you are 6ft 5ins!
The flight I was on was a Boeing 757,200 series.
They now sell seats 12A and 12F which were previously medical seats.
Ah i see they resold your medical seat that you had already paid for. I didn't understand that from what you posted. I agree they shouldn't be allowed to re sell it if it has already been paid for by someone t hats not fair. Sounds like their records aren't very good either as you would have thought it would be known.
Doe,Medical seats are not paid for just leg room seats are chargeable.
I dont bother to book seats together as we have moved a few times to accommodate families that are split up.
I was told at check in there was no one sitting in front of us which were medical seats.
I asked why we couldnt sit here as I had booked with the airline.She just repeated that there was no one in front of us.The flight wasnt full and had even less passengers on the return flight.
It was only after we boarded that 3 young men sat in front of us.I asked the one in front of me if he wouldnt mind not reclining his seat as my knees were right up against the seat back and in fact I had to turn slightly sideways to fit in..
On the return journey I asked him if he had paid for the seat and he said he had paid £40 each way.
I never seem to have a problem on Thomson flights as most I have been on have the new Recarro seats.
I would be willing to pay for leg room seats.
I am thinking of trying Jet 2 for my next holiday. :tup
It does sound like there was a problem somewhere although row 2 are designated medical seats on the 752 so you did actaually have medical seats allocated, just not ones with any additional seat pitch. Given there is no charge for the allocation of medical seats, its a tough call really but 'your' medical seats weren't sold or re-allocated, you just didn't get the ones you were expecting and these were then sold as extra legroom. The people in front may have checked in after you so the information that no one was allocated them was correct when you checked in. When you booked them, was it made clear what your requirements where? Medical seats don't neccassarilly mean greater seat pitch, just that they are close to facilities, for example due to a mobility requirement.

Darren
Jay Trip wrote:
The flight I was on was a Boeing 757,200 series.
They now sell seats 12A and 12F which were previously medical seats.

Whenever we've flown on a 757 we've booked 12A/F for hubby. He's 6'6".

Did your email confirm your seat numbers? TC usually designate rows 1/2/3 as assistance seats on the 757. Extra legroom is sold at £20 each way.
I explained what my medical condition was and my height which is obviously an issue when I phoned customer services at Thomas Cook airlines
I have previously been allocated 12A or 12F but theses are no longer medical seats on TC.
On the return journey I was allocated seat C which was OK as I could put my legs out into the aisle slightly but with "hot wheels" coming up and down every few minutes it wasnt possible.
They did move us to row 11 which was better as I could sit sideways.
Thankfully the flight was just over 3 hours but I am not prepared to risk it on a flight to Dalaman as these are nearly always full. :(
Sun addict,When we have received the tickets there used to be a diagram of the planes seats and seats 12A and 12F were until recently classed as medical seats.This is the row behind the exit row so maybe I am getting the row number mixed up.Maybe this is row13?
Thomson always have the seat number on the email but TC dont.
Jay Trip wrote:
I explained what my medical condition was and my height which is obviously an issue when I phoned customer services at Thomas Cook airlines
I have previously been allocated 12A or 12F but theses are no longer medical seats on TC.
On the return journey I was allocated seat C which was OK as I could put my legs out into the aisle slightly but with "hot wheels" coming up and down every few minutes it wasnt possible.
They did move us to row 11 which was better as I could sit sideways.
Thankfully the flight was just over 3 hours but I am not prepared to risk it on a flight to Dalaman as these are nearly always full. :(
Sun addict,When we have received the tickets there used to be a diagram of the planes seats and seats 12A and 12F were until recently classed as medical seats.This is the row behind the exit row so maybe I am getting the row number mixed up.Maybe this is row13?

No, it's row 12. A/F have no seat in front of them so plenty of room, hence why we have booked them. I prefer Monarch or Jet2. The route we fly they usually have extra legroom room rows at the front of the cabin (for a fee).
I think it will be Thomson or Jet 2 for my holidays next year. :tup
Everybody likes a good moan at some point and it is very easy just to over look good customer service, so I thought I would just give some praise to Thomas Cook.

Yes our recent flight back to Glasgow from Dalaman was delayed by almost 16 hours however instead of grumbling about that it it is worth remembering that NO airline wishes to have a delay on that scale as it has such a huge knock on effect for other flights and also has a massive financial impact on them, how they deal with the delay is important for the passengers though.

It is worth noting that we along with the vast majority (if not almost everybody) had not booked a package but were flight only.

I knew there was a delay prior to leaving our hotel as I had checked the BAA website and noticed that the flight out hadn't left Glasgow however we still had to check in.
Immediately upon entering the terminal we were approached by TC reps to enquire if were booked on the Glasgow flight and they confirmed that the flight was delayed and we we would be given more information at check -in.
At check-in we were told of the delay and given full information that we would be delayed for 5 hours and would be flying on another airline (euroAtlantic) and that we would be given a drink and food from Pizza Hut.

Something must have gone wrong with the plan for us to fly out on a replacement aircraft, we were informed to go early and get our drink / food and then told to go to the gate, at the gate the TC reps were there to inform us of the further delay.
We had to reclaim our luggage and we were then quickly bussed a short distance to a very nice hotel and given a further drink, we were quickly checked in to the hotel and told that we would be given breakfast in the morning, lunch and just after lunch we would be taken back to the airport for our flight home.

All this went as planned, we were given a full buffet breakfast and the same for lunch including drink, allowed to make use of the pool and sun terraces etc.

As promised we were taken back to the airport quickly checked through and departed at the amended time. We were all given a drink and meal on the plane again non of which was paid for, upon arrival in Glasgow we were handed a letter for insurance purposes with all the details should anybody wish to claim their insurance.

So there you have it, well informed throughout whole period, fed & watered at airport, when longer delay became apparent quickly transferred to a lovely hotel, given breakfast & lunch, again quickly transferred back to airport and checked in, departed at advised time and then given a free meal and drink on the flight.

As I mentioned that must of had a huge financial impact on TC for all the delays both going out and back and subsequent flights.

So I say WELL DONE Thomas Cook :tup

PS of course that wasn't good enough for some who were very vocal in their moaning, perhaps they would have preferred to just have been left at the airport and not had a good sleep in a lovely hotel etc :que
..good for TC :tup ..they need some positive feedback after the last couple of years!! Wonder if it will rub off on Thomsons?? I live in hopes!!! :rofl
Ah glad to hear you were well looked after Graham :tup There's nothing worse than being delayed, once you've packed your case you just want to get home.

Many years ago we got caught up in the taxi drivers strike in Menorca which was to last three days :( we were taken by reps to an AI hotel for the duration of our delay.
Holiday Truths Forum

Post a Reply

Please sign in or register an account to reply to this post.

Sign in / Register

Holiday Truths Forum Ship image

Get the best deals!

from our cruise, ski and holiday partners

You can change your email preferences at any time.

Yes, I want to save money by receiving personalised travel emails with awesome deals from Holiday Truths group companies which are hotholidays.co.uk,getrcuising.co.uk and getskiing.co.uk. By subscribing I agree to the Privacy Policy

No, thank you.