Tour Operators and Travel Agents

Discussions regarding Tour Operators and Travel Agents
Re: Thomas Cook
1042 Posts
Hi TWEETIE PIE ... if the ballot votes in favour of strike action, 7 days notice would need to be given of strike dates. However, Thomas Cook have also been quoted as saying that in the unlikely event of any action being taken, there will no disruption to customers' holidays:
http://www.travelweekly.co.uk/Articles/2012/06/06/40680/union+warns+of+thomas+cook+strike+ballot.html

David :wave
That what I was thinking, if thomas cook vote to strike, it going to be the shops, and business side that will be affected, flights should take of as normal]

If flights were included, I would imagine compensation would be in order, and it would be quite costly for them
I reckon if the unions force this strike they could well be the straw that breaks the camels' back. Thomas Cook is trying hard to climb out of deep trouble. Maybe it was crazy bad management and daft discounting that put them in trouble, but now, every time that more bad news breaks, they lose more bookings worsening their situation.
This could kill the company.
Possibly - no more Thomas Cook - ever.
That would be a terrible pity.
ukbill wrote:
This could kill the company.
Possibly - no more Thomas Cook - ever.
That would be a terrible pity.

I think there already doing this to them selfs already, we all know flights and resorts have been dropped for summer 2013, but what are they going to drop in 2014

What have they got going for 2012, exclusive ticket, hotels for the london olympic games, beyond this they dont have anything apart from ther package holidays

No more thomas cook, dont think I would notice, but would it be a bad thing, now I would hope thomsons might start picking up the resorts and hotels droppe3d by thomas cook, to meet any demand, pricing I think would be fair, if it was to expensive because of no competition, customer might not book, so thomson would have to price fairly
Can't see any possible advantage to TC going under, I know they have spent years underpricing etc but really if it was just left to TUI in the package holiday market does anyone think their prices would actually come down. :que

I'm not sentimental about it, it's just business, but can't see how no competition at all would benefit the consumer in the long run.
hi...thanks for reply David...hope so....there is so much unsettling news around this year...between Greece...the euro.... and thomascook .....tweetie
Jobs threatened as Thomas Cook announces Bradford closure

Thomas Cook has announced plans to close its Bradford centre putting 468 jobs at risk.

The operator says the proposal is to remove duplication within the business where a number of UK centres are carrying out the same role.

Out of the 537 employees, 69 are expected to be redeployed nearby. The operator said 250 jobs are also likely to be created in Falkirk, Peterborough and Preston.

Thomas Cook is entering a 90 day consultation period with employees and unions but it claims the proposed closure of Bradford was made after looking at all the options.

At the same time the operator said 250 jobs are likely to be created in Falkirk, Peterborough and Preston.

Ian Ailles, CEO Mainstream at Thomas Cook UK & Ireland said, "Thomas Cook is one of the largest employers in the travel industry, with 19,000 people working across the UK business. As part of the previously announced UK turnaround, we have regrettably today advised colleagues in our Bradford office that we"re proposing to close it by March next year, relocating some roles to our other UK sites in Birkenshaw (near Bradford), Peterborough and Falkirk."

"We"ve made a commitment to improve the profitability of the UK business and today"s announcement is part of this, but what is also key to these proposed changes is the improved service level that will result for our customers. We looked at several options as part of our location strategy review and today's proposal is considered to be the most effective. I'd like to thank our colleagues in our Bradford site for their professionalism as we now enter a period of consultation.

Staff at the Bradford centre - which includes call centre staff, customer service staff and travel agent support - were told about the plans today.

With permission from Travelmole
I used to drive by there every morning on my way to work back in the 90s. They have closed one of their two shops in Huddersfield as well.

fwh
Thomas Cook and Direct Holidays are offering a "Pay Day Sale" this weekend with £50 off their holidays. BUT both the holidays that I am interested in for 2013 have increased in price by £50 since yesterday!! Some deal eh? :que
now that is not unusual, the favourite use to be the big Easter sale, but if you watched a specific holiday as i have often done you find about a week before Easter it shoots up 33% then come the sale you get 25% off
[so on a £600 holiday you save a whole £1-80 on the original price]
Thomas Cook have upped the prices of their Summer 2013 holidays today. I feel a "Sale" coming on soon ! :think
I hope so as I have been pricing up holidays the past few days since I got home from Crete and they are ridiculously expensive for school holidays next year.
Thomas Cook has just unveiled what the high street travel agent might look like in the future, the large new Thomas Cook store in the White Rose Shopping Centre in Leeds will allow customers to research or book holidays directly with one of 25 consultants at an 'advice bar' or online using the in store tablets.

The store also has music playing in the background and video walls, the new stores are said to be 'more Apple than travel' and will use the latest technology and high tech brands while still retaining the human touch that many prefer.

:think If anybody visits it can you give us a quick opinion, is it fresh and appealing or does it put you off?
Thomas Cook is to introduce single pricing for its own-branded package holidays across its retail channels.

The UK’s largest travel retailer will offer the same price for package holidays booked online on thomascook.com, in-store, or via its call centres. This will apply to its charter brands such as Thomas Cook, Airtours and Manos.

http://www.travelweekly.co.uk/Articles/2012/12/19/42627/thomas+cook+introduces+single+pricing+for+charter+packages.html?utm_medium=twitter&utm_source=twitterfeed
Looking for help, please. Flying out Mcr to Cuba in Feb by TC, I have extra legroom seats booked. However, I have previous experience with TC when checking in at the airport to find that the legroom seats, as booked, were not available. Looking around the internet, it seems this happens a lot with TC, suspiciously more than could happen by accident. I reckon it is a con trick run by TC in order to sell holidays, promising that legroom seats are available when they arent. You cant exactly reject the holiday at 6am at the airport. What can I do to ensure that the seats that I have booked exist, and that I will not suffer the same experience again?
Thanks for any help.
davmart,

Welcome onbaord :tup
The only thing you can do is book, and pay for, extra legroom seating and arrive at the airport with that proof. There have been a few changes of aircraft over the season due to an odd technical issue with aircraft, like any airline has. This has resulted in some flights having a late change of aircraft and therefore having less extra legroom seats available. There's not a lot that can be done about this. Every time I've travelled with TCX, I've got the seats I've pre-booked / selected so as long as you've made the booking, thats as far as you can go. If you don't get the seats you've paid for, then you're entitled to a full refund of the premium you've paid. Personally, I find the standard deating fine on the A332's, certainly on par with other operators so it's not as big of a deal as it once was.

Darren
They seem to be selling pre booked seats at check in at the moment.
Someone who paid for leg room seats were told they wernt available when they checked in.Thy had been sold to someone else.
I have just come back from Tunisia and they sold the medical seats both ways and they had to do a bit of shuffling.It was like musical chairs.
The crew were not interested when people complained and were told to see the dispatchers who luckily were still on board.
It seems choosing a seat and paying for a leg room seat doesnt guarantee that you will actually get them. :que
Jay Trip wrote:
It seems choosing a seat and paying for a leg room seat doesnt guarantee that you will actually get them. :que

No airline guarantees seat numbers, whether you've paid for them or not. If you pay for extra legroom and don't get it, you should be refunded. If your party gets split when you've prebooked seats together, you should also get a refund.
I dont mind not sitting next to my husband but I find the check in staff selling medical seats disgusting. :think
Holiday Truths Forum

Post a Reply

Please sign in or register an account to reply to this post.

Sign in / Register

Holiday Truths Forum Ship image

Get the best deals!

from our cruise, ski and holiday partners

You can change your email preferences at any time.

Yes, I want to save money by receiving personalised travel emails with awesome deals from Holiday Truths group companies which are hotholidays.co.uk,getrcuising.co.uk and getskiing.co.uk. By subscribing I agree to the Privacy Policy

No, thank you.