Flight Only / Airline and Airports

Discussions relating to flight only, airlines and airports.
Hi
We have never had a weight check airside and only on the odd occasion have they checked the hand luggage at check-in they just ask to 'view' it but it could still be a risk :tup
Yeah, might be risking it because our check in bags are backpacks and are the exact size requirement so they may be checked, but at least if they only check at check-in they will not be over the weight limit then.

Thanks for replying!
They sometimes weigh the hand luggage at check in if you are on or slightly over the hold luggage allowance.Helped us as the hand luggage was over but the hold luggage was under,so we were let off!.Haven't personally seen any weight checks at boarding gate but have seen bags being taken off passengers at this point and put in the hold.
On our last holiday,a group of people were arguing with check in staff ,who had said that they were going to have to check a couple of big holdalls in.About time that they did stop these grossly oversize bags being allowed as cabin baggage,in my view!!
Yeah, our bags don't exceed the size requirement, they are just the exact allowable size so I'm assuming they will be allowed in the cabin, they are definitely not oversized.
cagsy - I was always lead to believe that anything you buy airside can be taken on the plane in addition to your hand luggage. I know I have bought loads from Boots (suncreams etc) and taken them on the plane, no questions asked!
thanks for that denny, that's really helpful :) it's amazing how much your stuff weighs in the end!
denny.53 wrote:
cagsy - I was always lead to believe that anything you buy airside can be taken on the plane in addition to your hand luggage. I know I have bought loads from Boots (suncreams etc) and taken them on the plane, no questions asked!

I've always taken a bag of goods bought airside, but their website is now saying things like laptops, handbags and items bought at the airport must fit within your 1 piece of hand baggage.

http://www.thomson.co.uk/editorial/legal/baggage-allowance.html#packageholidayshandbaggage
Hi Darren,

we've recently holidayed in Rhodes (7th Aug departure) had the 737-800 on our outbound journey from Cardiff TOM 6832 ( I think) but I'm wondering whether there was a change of aircraft for the return journey (21st Aug) as we were allocated row 10 which had a lot more leg room than row 32 which we were allocated on the way out?

It was a lovely area of the plane to be seated in. Was it the same aircraft type? i didn't realize that row 10 would have extra legroom. I noticed from your 'what aircraft am I flying on?' page that the 737s aren't listed as having extra leg room in row 10.

Thanks
Hi Shirly,

I'll check when I get home later, but it sounds like you had a Boeing 757-200 rather than the scheduled 737-800.

EDIT: As above, it was an aircraft change from the original schedule.

Darren
Cagsy

I'm going to Rhodes with Thomson in 2 weeks so will see what happens. If they start weighing bags at gate then imagine the delays/chaos that would cause. As long as you are within weight/size limit at check-in then buy airside, no problems. Had bag weighed once at Heathrow for Cyprus Airways flight at check-in. It was within size/weight limit but I was subjected to the comment "you're not going to put anything else in are you?" One of those pointless remarks made to sensible people by some check-in staff!

Very glad that most fellow travellers have stopped taking numerous supermarket carrier bags for their hand luggage. Not keen on Monarch's 10kgs (ZB flights) as that means small trolley cases which take up most of the overhead space, but appreciate they are needed when travelling with young children..
Perhaps it's all those pointless comments by check-in staff about not putting anything else in your hand baggage etc after it's been weighed and checked that have resulted in people becoming more sensible about how and in what they pack their hand baggage?

I don't see that it's any more pointless than always asking the usual questions about your checked in baggage , 'Have you packed it yourself?' etc. Regular travellers might get bored with being asked them every time but it just needs one naive newbie who has unwittingly agreed to pack a parcel in the case for an acquaintance to potentially blow-up a plane. I see no reason to object to check-in staff asking routine questions that remind travellers what the rules and regulations are etc.

SM
Thanks Darren,

I thought that might have been the case. It was far less squashed in row 10 and we didn't even pay to prebook seats. I asked at Check-in at Rhodes airport if it was possible to get seated 3 and 1 across the aisle. The girl telephoned through to somebody and then kept us waiting for at least 10 minutes before weighing in the cases, explaining she was awaiting a call back on the seats. Anyway, the wait was well worth it as she secured the extra leg room seats for us. Don't you normally have to pay extra for them?
shirley h,

You do, yes but if no one pays for them and the flight is full, someone has to sit in them. It was your lucky day!

Darren
Seems as though it was :)

No wonder she kept us hanging around. She did say the flight was full so maybe they were the only row left with a 3-1 availability and she wanted to make sure that nobody had purchased them before giving us the nod :) Happy days!
Hi there,

Was driving past Glasgow Prestwick airport on Wednesday and Thursday this week. Unusually I noticed a Thomson Airways aircraft on the air field. The aircraft was in dreamliner livery however I wasn't close enough to be able to tell the aircraft type. Does anyone know what aircraft type it was and indeed what it was doing there at Prestwick?

Many thanks.
Hi dazbo,

Do you have the Oct Long haul IFE as yet, were flying premium on Dreamliner 18th oct, :)
Thanks poshgirl, I'm actually flying out myself tomorrow morning so will find out then and will let you know!

We're just wondering about the food on longhaul in economy - it's MAN-CUN 10.5 hours - do you get just one meal served for the duration, and some snacks? Also, do you get a choice of mains and a drink included with your meal?

We are just wondering whether to get a Boots meal deal each in case we get peckish as 10.5 hours is a long time!!

Thanks.
cagzy,

You'll get a full meal approximately 2 hours in to the flight followed by a pre-landing snack 90 minute before landing. You can purchase snacks in between. Details are on our What Aircraft? guide (link below). You'll have a choice of meals on the first one along with tea or coffee, not a drink from the bar.

Darren
danielle0216uk,

I update our What Aircraft? guide with the latest IFE information as and when I get it.

Darren
Holiday Truths Forum

Post a Reply

Please sign in or register an account to reply to this post.

Sign in / Register

Holiday Truths Forum Ship image

Get the best deals!

from our cruise, ski and holiday partners

You can change your email preferences at any time.

Yes, I want to save money by receiving personalised travel emails with awesome deals from Holiday Truths group companies which are hotholidays.co.uk,getrcuising.co.uk and getskiing.co.uk. By subscribing I agree to the Privacy Policy

No, thank you.