Flight Only / Airline and Airports

Discussions relating to flight only, airlines and airports.
Hi all,
Happy new year!

We are looking at going somewhere longhaul for the first time with Thomson this summer and have a few questions.

Is premium cabin really worth it.... 2 of us in the family are around 6ft and I am worried about the leg room from previous short haul flights.. I know there is more but am wondering whether it would still feel cramped.
Also, if not the premium cabin, are the seats with extra space any good as I have read reviews from people who say they were sat next to a bulkhead all the way and were more cramped than they would have in normal seats.
Sorry to be a nuisance its just an extra £850 ish for the 3 of us seems quite a lot on an already expensive holiday so wanted to make sure whether people thought it was worth it or not

Thanks in advance and sorry to be a pain
I'm 6'4" tall and ~ 18 stone -I always fly extra legroom if I can book it -Premium is OK if you get it for a reasonable price ...but the last holiday I costed up Thomson wanted £399 each...too much!
As a sidenote Premium on the Dreamliner seems extra expensive compared with the old 767s
pallan,

The premium cabin and whether it is worth it or not is entirely personal preference. My views are here. Seat pitch in economy is approximately 5 inches more on long haul so there's lots more room. You'll find extensive aircraft information, including seat plans, aircraft and cabin photos, as well as photos of various seats so you can have a look at what to expect. Row 20 (or 28, subject to the aircraft on the day) are the over-wing exit row seats. These are the roomiest on the aircraft and are the ones to go for if all you want is more room and none of the extras the premium cabin gives you. While the bulkhead seats do give more room, some still find them a little restrictive although they are roomier and i've never had a problem with them. That's were row 20 (28) comes in, there's bags of room. Photos of all these seats are linked as mentioned above.

Darren
If we can't get premium we don't go. Hubby is 6'6" and even in economy his knees are in the seat in front and he can't get his legs under the seat. I personally don't like the extra legroom seats. As a nervous flyer I prefer to sit at the front of the aircraft and I like the smaller, quieter cabin. The bulkhead seats can be restrictive as you have no seat to put your feet under.
We have long since realised that in order to meet both our requirements we pay to upgrade on longhaul and on shorthaul we pick our destination and airline according to the available seating. I know not everyone is as fussy or paranoid as me though :rofl

Premium just sets the tone for the holiday for us, but it really is personal choice.
The thing to remember is that Thomson (and others I guess) sell the seats as extra space seats - not necessarily to mean extra leg room.
thanks everyone for your replies.. i think we'll probably just going to go for the 'extra' space seats as it is really only the extra space were interested in, not the full premium benefits.

thanks again

pallan
Hi first post here...
We are flying on 6 Feb from LGW to Cancun, a couple of questions if anybody can help.
1. We are flying Premium and have seats in the middle section, what are the chances of us getting Window seats at check in?
2. I have read about Premium passengers being bumped if the is an aircraft change, how common is this?
Many thanks in advance.
Cheers
1. When flying Premium you get to choose your seats for free - have you not already been contacted by email??
If not, give them a ring - altho' suspect that you will struggle to pick the seats you want, as a lot of people who book online will have chosen their seats several weeks ago.
2. Last Winter there seemed to be quite a few aircraft substitutions - haven't noticed any complaints this Winter so far.
simon J wrote:
Hi first post here...
We are flying on 6 Feb from LGW to Cancun, a couple of questions if anybody can help.
1. We are flying Premium and have seats in the middle section, what are the chances of us getting Window seats at check in?
2. I have read about Premium passengers being bumped if the is an aircraft change, how common is this?
Many thanks in advance.
Cheers

Window seats are always popular and people will have been reserving them since 90 days prior to departure. If there are no window seats available now, there is unlikely to be any at check in, unless there are no shows or very late cancellations. If there are some available now just change your seats.
simon J,

Welcome onboard :tup
As seating is pre-assigned, there's no chance of getting a window seat at check-in. Seating will have been assigned the day before even if you have'nt pre-selected a specific seat. As Sunaddict mentions, window seats are popular and there are only 16 window seats in the premium cabin, 8 each side so they fill up quickly. Aircraft changes only occur when there is a technical problem with the assigned aircraft or it goes in for maintenance (changes are normally done in advance and passengers told in this instance). It's a question of would you prefer a potentially lengthy delay, ie a day lost of your holiday, or a small delay and standard seating? I know which i'd choose! Given all the non-premium / smaller premium cabin aircraft are being used elsewhere at the moment though, it's unlikely you'll have a changed aircraft anyway. You'll find extensive aircraft information on our What Aircraft? guide (link below).

Darren
All
Many thanks for your information, the answers were largely as I expected. The centre of the cabin is no big deal even if I would prefer a window!
I hope we dont get bumped ...I would chose lesser seats but it would irk me to not get a refund on the tax!
Thanks again.
Cheers
simon J wrote:
All
Many thanks for your information, the answers were largely as I expected. The centre of the cabin is no big deal even if I would prefer a window!

To be honest, other than take-off and landing and subject to the specific routing on the day, you'll be over the Atantic for 9+ hours so there's very little to see. The approach in to Cancun isn't the most spectacular either once you get overland and subject to the wind direction and hence runway in use, you won't miss much. I know what you mean though, just nice to have something to look out of and lean against!

Darren
Hi Darren, happy new year.

I wondered if you have details of the summer 2013 schedules as yet.
We've just had an email from Thomson advising that our flight times MAN-RMF (TOM376/7) on 5.6.13 had been changed, so thought this may mean the schedules have been confirmed.
I called them but the woman in the Programme Change dept. wasn't sure of the aircraft type, do you have the information confirmed yet?

Thanks in advance.
Jason
jmac,

Schedules are normally done up to year in advance, but for operational reasons, have to change slightly closer to the commencement of the schedule. It's only a time change from what I can see. MAN-RMF-MAN (TOM376/7) should be a Boeing 757-200.

Darren
Hi, i recently booked a holiday with thomson online, this includes Hotel, Flights etc. i understand that if you book online "everything" is done by email. Can anyone tell me if i have to print off boarding cards for the flight or do i get them at the airport ? Usually go in to the thomson shop but booked online this time, any info will be great.

Meyrick.
Hello

hope someone can help - tried to book extra legroom AND seats together today for my flight on 22nd feb - tom 1558 - ncl to tenerife south - stupid lady on phone said could take my money and pay for extra legroom but couldn't guarantee the seats would be together but she knew there was availability but could not say where they were?? - would have to wait 24 hours to check and request together - surely they cannot be that many seats with extra legroom - checked seat pitch and says standard CAN be 28 inches but does not say definately as little as this

any ideas on exactly which aircraft it will be - indications say 737-800 with extra legroom on rows 15 and 16 and also says no ife on these flights now

helllllppppp????
stressed mother
for seating plans see the what aircraft thread and on short haul Thomson stopped IFE last year
meyrick,

Thomson (Airways) don't operate online checkin (yet) so you'll still have to check-in at the airport as normal. You may be confusing e-tickets with online check-in. You won't receive any tickets for your flight, but you'll have e-tickets. All you need is your booking reference number for check-in which are your e-tickets, then you check-in as normal.

Darren
Holiday Truths Forum

Post a Reply

Please sign in or register an account to reply to this post.

Sign in / Register

Holiday Truths Forum Ship image

Get the best deals!

from our cruise, ski and holiday partners

You can change your email preferences at any time.

Yes, I want to save money by receiving personalised travel emails with awesome deals from Holiday Truths group companies which are hotholidays.co.uk,getrcuising.co.uk and getskiing.co.uk. By subscribing I agree to the Privacy Policy

No, thank you.