Flight Only / Airline and Airports

Discussions relating to flight only, airlines and airports.
Flying 27.08.13 LGW - Antalya Flight No TOM 286 return 06.09.13 TOM 403

Just reading my booking again we ahve booked extra space seats !!! What is the difference between extra space and extra legroom seats and what have i paid an extra £ 100.00 for

We are in row 15 going out and row 36 returning
edhall,

They are one in the same although some aircraft have some extra space seats that are none exit rows. More details on our What Aircraft? guide (link below).

Darren
Dazbo HT Mod wrote:
edhall,

They are one in the same.

Darren

How can this be? I was checking flights from GLA to LPA for February next year. There are seats with extra space at £45 return pp & seats with extra legroom at £60 pp. Surely if they were the same there wouldn't be such a difference in price?

gaz
gaz68; you must be due to fly on one of the recently altered 757s - they have a number of rows ( 18 seats?) at the front of the aircraft which are "extra legroom" ie 34" seat pitch - they then have the "normal" exit row seats and bulkhead seats which are marketed as "extra space" -personally I always go for the extra space seats by exit rows,as these have mega legroom.
Dazbo HT Mod wrote:
edhall,

They are one in the same although some aircraft have some extra space seats that are none exit rows. More details on our What Aircraft? guide (link below).

Darren

Darren you have obviously edited your post because that's why my reply queried what you had said. I was puzzled originally when you said there was no difference in the seats when there was an obvious difference in price.

gaz
I still think they need to do something about the 28 inch pitch at the rear of the aircraft, surely this is verging on unhealthy for the longer fights to Egypt and Cape Verde, especially for taller passengers.
But those taller people have the option of paying for the extra space seats near the front. Holidays are a luxury especially the further afield ones so its not like anyone is being forced to sit in 28" seat pitch.
I'm afraid you don't have to be very tall to find 28 inches very uncomfortable indeed. My wife and I are about 5ft 10 inch and won't even use BA because of its miserly leg room in economy. We are going to Cape Verde in Nov. and have very reluctantly paid an extra £125 each for extra legroom Thomsons have a captive market to Verde unfortunately or we wouldn't have used them. It's several years since I used Thomson but I seem to recall that until all the mergers, Egypt and Verde were classed as long haul until Thomson got greedy and changed the long haul distances to make some extra profit.
As for the last post once the limited leg room seats are sold the choice of sitting in cramped conditions is removed as its then like it or lump it or don't go.
Alan
Have to agree with gramps - I'm 6'4" and when I was (much) younger I could tolerate the limited legroom but now I have to travel in extra space or extra legroom seats -otherwise I think that my knees would lock and they would have to lever me out of my seat!!-don't even get me started on reclining seats!!!
When an airline took some seats out to make more leg room people went with others because they were a bit cheaper. Most folk buy on price and not quality, I don't and you don't but that's how it is.
Last time I flew on a Thomson 757, one of my favourite planes, it had the old thick backed seats; I got cramp before taking off. The extra legroom/emergency exit seats had already gone.

Reclining seats make me go wild, I hate it when the so and so in front reclines, I usually try to push it back, you can't even read a paper. I wish they would stop this reclining on short haul planes. That's the advantage of flying Easyjet and Ryanair!
BY-TOM-AMM-FCA wrote:
But those taller people have the option of paying for the extra space seats near the front. Holidays are a luxury especially the further afield ones so its not like anyone is being forced to sit in 28" seat pitch.

Well yes, but recently I am finding that unless you book the holiday as soon as it becomes available, the extra legroom seats are gone. Realistically people don't sit there hitting refresh waiting for the new holidays to come up, they browse different holidays, do some research, shortlist etc.

We booked our holiday this year 15 months in advance and we weren't able to book extra legroom as these were gone already.

For example this year, we paid to select our seats. 5 minutes after receiving the email with the link to do so pretty much all rows were gone apart from a few in the middle of the cabin and the rear of the cabin and that was on the first day seat selection became available.

On an aircraft that carries approx 220-230 people only a very small amount will even be able to have the OPTION of selecting extra legroom. You have to be lightening quick these days or your left with standard seats.

Even as a shortie I think 28inch seat pitch is terrible for a 6 hour flight.
I'm glad I am not alone in findingBY-TOM-AMM-FCAs suggestion re the options for legroom seats wide of the mark I'm not sure how Thomsons justify their policy regarding claiming that flights of over 6 hours are not long haul and do not merit even 31 inches, other than greed on their part and a complete disregard for the comfort and well being of their clients Shame on them.
Alan
hi
going to boa vista again on tom 590,from gatwick, is this a 757-200 plane. can't remember from last year and can't find my post on it.
thanks
gramps wrote:
I'm glad I am not alone in findingBY-TOM-AMM-FCAs suggestion re the options for legroom seats wide of the mark I'm not sure how Thomsons justify their policy regarding claiming that flights of over 6 hours are not long haul and do not merit even 31 inches, other than greed on their part and a complete disregard for the comfort and well being of their clients Shame on them.
Alan

The industry norm is usually flights over 7 hours are classed as longhaul.
I fly with various airlines including Thomson on my own holidays, I have, without fail managed to bag extra leg/space seats when flying economy and sometimes only book a week prior to flying sometime a matter of days. I don't get any special access for working in the industry but I do make an effort to know the airlines rules and I'm always willing to pay. I never wait until an email is sent even if it means setting a Calendar alarm to log onto my booking xx days before(whatever the airlines rules maybe)
ali781,

All Cape Verde flights are operated by Boeing 757-200.

Darren
LadyL2013 wrote:

For example this year, we paid to select our seats. 5 minutes after receiving the email with the link to do so pretty much all rows were gone apart from a few in the middle of the cabin and the rear of the cabin and that was on the first day seat selection became available.

I would not wait until the email arrives advising the seat plan is open. In my experience the seat plan is usually open at least 24hrs before, if not 48 or 72 hrs sometimes. It's worth checking regularly about a week before hand just to make sure.
Hi Darren,

I have just joined this forum as I found it while searching Google.

I am flying from BHX to CAN on August 31st on flight number TOM568,returning 7th Sept on flight TOM569. I wonder if you could tell me what plane I will be flying on?

I have booked seats 19 A and B on both outbound and return flights, and these are standard seats if that's any help?

Thank you in advance,

Andrew
gaz68 wrote:
LadyL2013 wrote:

I would not wait until the email arrives advising the seat plan is open. In my experience the seat plan is usually open at least 24hrs before, if not 48 or 72 hrs sometimes. It's worth checking regularly about a week before hand just to make sure.

We kept checking on 'myThomson' for the seating to become avaliable for selection, we received the email about 2 minutes after it went live on myThomson.

That's not really the point though. 28 inch seat pitch IS ridiculous on a 6 hour flight and most people pay a lot just to go on holiday let alone paying £100 extra not to be uncomfortable. Furthermore not everyone can book their holidays as soon as they become available, nor do they have access to constantly check for when seating becomes available for selection. They shouldn't be reprimanded for that.
Holiday Truths Forum

Post a Reply

Please sign in or register an account to reply to this post.

Sign in / Register

Holiday Truths Forum Ship image

Get the best deals!

from our cruise, ski and holiday partners

You can change your email preferences at any time.

Yes, I want to save money by receiving personalised travel emails with awesome deals from Holiday Truths group companies which are hotholidays.co.uk,getrcuising.co.uk and getskiing.co.uk. By subscribing I agree to the Privacy Policy

No, thank you.