Flight Only / Airline and Airports

Discussions relating to flight only, airlines and airports.
qatarman wrote:
Darren I would do willingly however if Thomson Holidays are the only company that you can book a particular hotel with then you are snookered.
Trying to persuade the better half to go elsewhere is a none starter.
So its a like it or lump it situation.
I know that they do not delay on purpose but this particular flight seems it get more than its share of delays out of Manchester.

qatarman
I see where you are coming from regarding the regular delays to your Thomson flight from Manchester to Larnaca. The stats seem to backup what you say.
However, a couple of weeks ago I flew with Thomson Manchester to Paphos on the Wednesday TOM2336 flight – and we ended up with nearly 90 minutes delay before takeoff.

So.... Thomson again....Cyprus again.... Manchester again....

In our case the problem was – according to the pilot – that the plane was parked a long way from the terminal requiring passengers to be bussed out, and people were late, and catering was late, and, as he put it,...
“Everyone and their cousins are flying to Cyprus today, resulting in air traffic slot issues, this situation doesn’t really work”.

There actually probably is some sort of systemic problem here.

But so long as EU compensation rules don’t kick in with long delays, and folk just shrug their shoulders and accept it, and people keep buying the holidays, it probably won’t change.
Go enjoy your holiday
I’ve already booked again for next year, same hotel again, July again, Thomson again, Manchester again, Cyprus again.
I probably will never learn either!! ;)
When we flew to Rhodes in mid June from Cardiff, we boarded ahead of schedule but were late off and late arriving as well. Our pilot blamed it on so many other Thomson flights going to Rhodes at the same time!!! :que
We actually ended up queueing on the airside roads to get into the terminal because 5 Thomson planes from UK and several Thos Cook flights were on the ground at the same time. Then the baggage handlers mixed up the luggage on the different belts -didn't get to our hotel til nearly midnight and we weren't the last drop off!!!
brewerdave wrote:
Our pilot blamed it on so many other Thomson flights going to Rhodes at the same time!!!

It does seem that Thomson do cluster their flights to certain destinations on specific days of the week. I guess that they do that to minimise coach costs at the destination airports, to simplify planning, and maybe also to reduce the need for reps to have “airport days”.

However considering the increased flight delays which can result with air traffic congestion, and that a delayed 737/757/767/787 might waste its significant fare earning time, and the risk of horrible EU flight delay compensation claims if delays exceed the magic three hour figure, and the inconvenience to passengers who may look to an alternate airline next time, and the congestion caused at hotel checkin desks, and the risk that flight crew scheduling will be messed up, etc.. etc

Maybe Thomson flight planners need to do some sort of strategy review?
Coaches and rep time might be cheap in comparison?
georgep1311,

What information do you require? Aircraft type? flight times? It's a Boeing 757-200. You'll find extensive aircraft information on our What Aircraft? guide (link below).

Darren
Hi, I'm flying from. Manchester to paphos :sun2 on sun16 August 2015 TOM2730 and returning Wednesday 26th August on TOM2337. Could you tell me what type of aircraft we will be flying on and if we will have IFE? A friend flew to Greece a couple of weeks ago and they had IFE on their flight. I thought it was an overriding issue that all flights under 6hrs didn't have this, many thanks for checking. :tup
Comeflywithme,

Welcome onboard :tup
MAN-PFO-MAN (TOM2730/2337) are operated by Boeing 767-300/ER / Boeing 737-800 respectively. You'll find extensive aircraft information on our What Aircraft? guide (link below). There's IFE on the 767 but not on the 737.

Darren
Thanks Darren for your speedy reply! Fingers crossed we are on the 767 with IFE!! The plane going out is seated 2-3-2 and coming back 3-3 would that narrow it down at all?
Comeflywithme,

Yes, to a Boeing 767-300 outbound and Boeing 737-800 inbound as I mentioned previously! I get the information direct from Thomson's aircraft schedule.

Darren
Oops!! Never read your reply properly. Many thanks for your help
Are you able to confirm which aircraft we will be on for this flight? Booked seats and it seems to be 2-4-2 and think Thomsons suggested it could be a Dreamliner. I thought dreamliners were only used on long haul. If it's a Dreamliner will it be the same seat configuration as the long haul set up?
kk70.
We have a Dreamliner to Cyprus on the 6th of September this according to the seat plan sent for reserving seat numbers, 2 Deaminers G-TUIB and G-TUIH have been reconfigured for short haul and the Premier Section is 3x3x3 same as the rest of the aircraft and as Darren pointed out to one of my questions this area is sold as Extra Leg Room seats.
I've been reading a lot about the chaos around Thomson 787 booking/seat selection and other website problems in recent months. And also about the reconfiguring of some 787s for mid haul routes. But has anyone heard anything concrete regarding re-configuration on 787s for winter long haul? (We fly Feb to Goa from Gatwick).

We paid for extra leg room seats (normally 36" in rows 11 to 13), but these seemingly are being removed to allow for a reduced 32" seat pitch throughout standard economy and increase overall capacity to 300 seats.

We also heard that the rear section (row 31 backward) will be left at the current 33"/34" standard economy seat pitch, but marketed as "extra leg room" for an added payment.

Thomson won't reply to my questions sadly.

Any ideas folks?
@ Emma_G -Thats as I understand it - there will still be some "extra space" seating in rows 10 and 30 which won't be altered. The answer I got on another forum was that Thomson were "having difficulties" selling the extra leg room seats ,so that many people were being allocated them without having to pay - my own belief is that they just want to pack an extra 9 pax on the planes !!
I printed our Boarding Passes yesterday and we have extra legroom on the so called Dreamliner.
You could be right about pax not wanting to pay for these seats going there are some 15 seats vacant spread all over ( should cause some aggro if pax allocated cannot sit together) Return 8 seats but again in single places sitting together will be hard. Expecting fun on 6th September if the flight is fully booked.
Hello, I'm flying TOM450 Manchester to Hurghada in November. What aircraft will this be on? Thanks!
ryansf,

I'll check tomorrow but it should be a Boeing 757-200.

Darren
Thanks Darren, been a while since I've been on a 757!
Holiday Truths Forum

Post a Reply

Please sign in or register an account to reply to this post.

Sign in / Register

Holiday Truths Forum Ship image

Get the best deals!

from our cruise, ski and holiday partners

You can change your email preferences at any time.

Yes, I want to save money by receiving personalised travel emails with awesome deals from Holiday Truths group companies which are hotholidays.co.uk,getrcuising.co.uk and getskiing.co.uk. By subscribing I agree to the Privacy Policy

No, thank you.