Cruises

Discussions relating to Cruising holidays
My friend has just come back from a 2 week cruise on the Celebration and said it was fabulous,except the reserving of sunbeds on the main deck!.She said the towels were put out from the crack of dawn and sometimes they were unattended until at least midday!.There were announcements made over the loudspeakers telling guests to remove them if they were not being used but to no avail.She said she wished I had been with them as I REMOVE them if no one shows by 9.30am after asking at reception!.
Alison, I can't vouch for 815, but we've been in 816,directly opposite on the other side of the ship...it's opposite the laundry room and it's fine...most people tend to use the main lifts etc., in the middle of the ship.
The only noise we had to report was the sea lapping past the porthole when we sailed at night.

Les x
Hi Alison

I was on the Celebration last week - cabin 821 - I wasn't aware of any particular noise at that end apart from the sea (the first time we have been in an outside cabin) - last year we were in 701 the deck above but at the other end and we couldn't sleep for the engine noise but due to a problem with a leak we were fortunate enough to be moved to cabin 612
which was very quiet.

HTH Margarita
Hope someone can answer a few queries for me?
we are sailing on the celebration on 21 March, cruising the western med. its our first cruise so would appreciate the following answers (I have read through all of this thread and cant seem to find the same questions)
1. prices of drinks have been mentioned......but can anyone say for definite if Magners or Strongbow cider is available...and at what price ( ;) , hubby! not for me), I got a general answer to this already (thanks windjammer!), but mr f is getting fidgety LOL
2. earlier in this thread someone mentioned a get together for teens. Would this only happen in the summer? we have our 14 yr old son with us, and whilst he's not exactly shy, he wont make the first move with other kids....so a teen get together for intoductions would be great.....
3. on the subject of 14 yr old lads......dress code....???? would smart jeans and polo shirt be ok for him? That is what he would normally wear when we stay in smart hotels, and am I right in guessing that the dress code would be similar? Smart jeans Ok for my husband, or would he need trousers?
4. Duty free......is it ok to buy a bottle of spirits from the airport on the way out, and use this in the cabin, for a little drink whilst I am doing my hair :cheers ??
many thanks in advance!
I did my first cruise on the celebration last year and did the western med cruise.
It was brilliant.
:)
You will have a ball
There is a teens meet at the beginning of each week and thereafter teen activities and get togethers. Never saw ours after signing up . Can't say that jeans ( or football shirts :yikes ) are worn much on cruises.For evenings, a pair of chinos and long or short sleeved shirt would be OK for your son. Casual but smart enough.
Can't help with the prices of drinks unfortunately as we were all inclusive.
Can't say that jeans ( or football shirts ) are worn much on cruises.For evenings, a pair of chinos and long or short sleeved shirt would be OK for your son. Casual but smart enough

thanks for your help with the other points.......but LOL you have misunderstood me when I ask about jeans!! My 14 year old son's jeans are designer jeans....(Ralph Lauren) and as such would certainly never be worn with a football shirt :yikes ....but with smart polo or formal designer shirts (thats what boys wear these days!) which certainly dont look out of place when we stay at 5* star hotels. :think

But your reply did concern me....re the jeans bit....so I rang Thomson today, who told me that smart casual is the dress code....MEANING...in their words....'smart jeans with a smart shirt are fine'.

However I am still a bit fidgety about this....as I have two differring opinions now.....one from yourself who has first hand knowledge....and the second from a call centre worker.......
Oh help.....more confused than ever!....My baggage allownace is is looking decidedly ropey.......LOL anyone know the cost per kilo of excess :rofl
I think I have confused myself now :rofl What I meant was that not many people wear any jeans at all. Nor football tops ( but not with the jeans :rofl ) I'm sure if he looks the business he'll be fine. :tup
Hi Fitzy2. We sailed on the Celebration in June 07 and November 07. We ate in the Meridian restaurant a couple of times, and my husband just wore trousers and a polo shirt.

When we ate in the Lido restaurant, we just wore shorts and T-shirts. As far as I can tell, there is no dress code in this restaurant (although going topless probably isn't acceptable ;) )

If you want to go to the Captains Cocktail party, then you may want to dress up as most people tend to, but we did see a few men wearing slacks and a collared shirt but not a tie in sight!

I'd say, for the most part, you can wear what you want, where you want, when you want.

Now for your drinks question. Here are links to the actual drinks menu onboard Thomson Cruise ships. And yes, they do sell Woodpecker Cider. Ive not been a member long enough to post proper links but hopefully this will work, if you remove the spaces lol

http://homepage.ntlworld.com/cjdolan/front.jpg

http://homepage.ntlworld.com/cjdolan/back.jpg

For info, the prices with an * beside them show how much you will have to pay for that drink, even if you are all inclusive!

Hope this helps.

Jayne xxx
  • Edited by luci HT Mod 2008-02-21 13:06:26
    To activate links
Oh, and I forgot to mention that a bottle of Smirnoff Blue Vodka was only £10 in the duty free shop onboard. I used to decant some into a small water bottle and take it into the bars with me. I only had to buy a can of coke then :cheers
Oh that's brilliant! Thank you so much.......I know I'm probably worrying about nothing LOL but with it being our first cruise......dont want to get it wrong! :tup You have really set my mind at rest! Drinks menu very useful.....just showed hubby...he well happy now!
Oh....and thanks for the tip re the duty free......brandy's my tipple....so hopefullyi'll be able to get some of that and do likewise!
No problem, any other questions and I'll be more than happy to help if I can.

I'm a little bit jealous that you are "cruise virgins" because I know how exciting it was for us when we did our first cruise, and you just can't recapture that feeling again, no matter how many cruises you go on :cry. You needn't worry about a thing. Cruising is the best way to holiday in my opinion and the service you get on Thomson Ships is excellent. You'll have a fabulous time! Make sure you post a review when you get back and tell us all about it.

We are off on the Thomson Spirit in April, and are looking forward to being on the sister ship of the Celebration 'cos it will mean we will already know our way round :)

Have a great holiday

Jayne xxx
Thanks again Jayne....we are getting really excited....just hoping there are quite a few teens on board for my 14 yr old to befriend!
Will definitely post my review when we get back....we are confident we will be hooked on cruising......to the point where we havent as yet booked our main summer holiday......because if we take to cruising....thats what we will be doing in in August.......watch this space :D
Hi Fitzy2

We have been on the Celebration a couple of times. I have worn a 'nice' pair of jeans with a 'glitzy' top & didn't have a problem going into the Meridian restaurant. We did see a young male refused entry because he had a really long pair of shorts on. He looked ok & was hardly showing any of his leg, he wasn't very happy, but the rules are quite clearly stated. You will get a 'cruise news' delivered to your cabin every day & this will give you the dress code for each evening. Enjoy your cruise.
Hi Fitzy 2, just another quick note, the all inclusive drinks package does vary from ship to ship. I thought they (Thompson's) would all be the same, but they are not. Not sure if you are AI, but just thought I would mention it.

Kathryn X
Oh thanks beardy! You have read my mind.....as I often wear dressy jeans with a glam or glittery top of a nightime.....and was wondering if my smart trousers were going to be worn out by the end of the week! Can ladies wear crop pants (capri pants) as I have a couple of pairs of these....btw they are not like shorts, they are white and smart......?be ok do you think?
thanks again....you guys are so helpful :) :)
edit...just read your second post....no we didnt opt for the all inclusive package, although I like a few drinks on an evening I'm not one to be having coffees etc all day, so although hubby might have got value for money from it......I certainly wouldnt have!
Hi Fitzy2

Yes ladies seem to be able to get away with these sort of trousers, I commented that it was really a bit unfair on the gentleman in question! He was really only showing about 4" of leg! Warning, you will get hooked on cruising. We went the year before last in March on the Celebration, this was the Colourful Coasts cruise, last year we did the same cruise on the Destiny & then went again in Sept. around the Med. on the Celebration. This year we are doing a Med. one in April & then doing a Med.cruise & stay in August. We haven't done any other sort of holiday since our 1st cruise!
lol I think we may well be similarly hooked...we have been looking at the cruise and stay for August! Lets see!!!!! :D
Can we upgrade to all inclusive on the Thomson Celebration when we board? Our cruise starts 28th of March.
Holiday Truths Forum

Post a Reply

Please sign in or register an account to reply to this post.

Sign in / Register

Holiday Truths Forum Ship image

Get the best deals!

from our cruise, ski and holiday partners

You can change your email preferences at any time.

Yes, I want to save money by receiving personalised travel emails with awesome deals from Holiday Truths group companies which are hotholidays.co.uk,getrcuising.co.uk and getskiing.co.uk. By subscribing I agree to the Privacy Policy

No, thank you.