Cruises

Discussions relating to Cruising holidays
Hi All,

We're looking to book a cruise on the Celebration having been on the Destiny last year and loved it!

Could anyone who's been on both ships tell me if the Celebration cabins are any bigger than the Destiny ones, as this might influence the type of cabin we book. Also, does anyone know if the outside cabins on the Celebration are any bigger than the inside ones?

Thanks for your help!

Jennifer
xx
Inside and outside cabins are identical in size, only difference is port-hole/window.
Hi Jennifer

I have been on the Celebration twice this year in Feb did Red Sea and had an outside cabin on deck one and in March did Med Discovery and had an inside cabin on deck two. I did not notice any difference in size and both had plenty of room. I have cruised on the Destiny when it was The Sunbird and to me the cabins that are layed out with the beds in an L shape on both ships are about the same in size.
I did prefer the inside cabin. The outside cabin on deck one was cold and there was alot of noise at night from the waves banging on the side of the ship. The inside cabin on deck 2 was quieter but although warm at night was cold during the day as deck 2 is used for the gangway when in port. If you can i would book a deck 3/4 cabin and then you should be ok. My husband and i cruise about 5 times a year and I enjoyed both cruises on this ship and found it very friendly, but although we would go on a Thomson cruise again i would not go on the Celebration, the only reason is the vibration. Where ever you are on the ship and even when you are in port you can feel it but i would still say to go and try it for yourself.

Mo
I have only been on the Celebration, but a fellow passenger who has also been on the Destiny told me that the cabins are bigger and nicer on the Celebration than on the Destiny......(and looking at the pics on the Thomson website this would seem to be borne out)
I agree that there was a constant vibration, but we found it soothing......lulled us to sleep every night! I have never slept better than on this cruise...... :D
There is indeed vibration but anyone who lets that bother them is one of life's moaners. It's something you get used to and really doesn't affect your enjoyment of the ship at all.
Hi All

This is all new to me so i hope I make sense. I have just booked the Celebration for May 2009 for the east Med on the AI deal I would like to ask.

I think we will be on deck one inside. 2 adults 1 child is it worth paying £140 for the 3 of us to move up to deck 3 also

Is it worth going on the Thomson excursions or go buy yourselves.

I know it is a long way off but we have never cruised before so would like to know in advance.

It was a toss up between this ship or the Destiny but we thought the itinery was better on this one.

Thanks in advance

Steve
Hi Steve and welcome to HT!

I have moved your post from the Help & Assistance forum to the Cruise forum as the H&A forum is for technical queries about the site.

Grab a cup of coffee and have a browse of the Cruise forum, including earlier posts in this topic. There is a topic entitled New to Cruising further down the main page and a sticky topic at the top on DIY Excursions - Med Area.

If you still have further questions after reading these topics then please ask.

luci :wave
Steve, do some homework before you go, you will save a small fortune if you do the trips by yourselves. There is plenty of information on this site, we did Rome on our own last week. We were on the Celebration & had a great time. It's the 2nd time we have done it, we caught the train into Rome & it cost us €9 each. Thompsons wanted £80 each to take us to Rome. Some people on board thought it was good value, as it included entry into the Vatican. That's rubbish, there is no charge to enter the Vatican! The shuttle bus will take you to the edge of the port, approx 5 mins, then it's a 5 min walk to the train station! It coudn't be easier. Our ticket also entitled us to use the metro & all public transport.
do you usually have to share large tables with other guests in meridian restaurant , we are travelling as a family of 2ads and 2 children and would prefer to sit just ourselves....i did a celebration 1 night taster a couple of years ago and seem to remember we sat with our friends on a table for 4. thanks in advance for any replies.
:cheers NO, on the way in to the restaurant, we were always asked of we wanted to share or not
As we were 2 adults plus a 14 yr old......we werent bothered, and saiid so..
We had peeps join us twice, and it was very pleasant on both occasions....
dont worrry about this aspect :D
Beardy,

I think we were on the same cruise as you, 7th Sep start last year.

We did the basic Rome trip with Thompsons, which was a guided coach trip to Rome with a zip round all the sights and then back to the ship. It was about £40-£50 each, and a bit of a rip off, but my wife/me would probably panic if we hit any problems so it is a 'safe' option.

One small thing, I believe you can pay at the Vatican to be put to the front of the line, bit like a fast pass.

Is the sun over the yard arm yet?

Nev.
Done Rome few times with Thomson,There is usually 3 tours.
Rome inc Vatican + lunch...£80
Rome staying on coach...£40 ish
Rome shuttle coach,drops off at St Peters about 10 am/picks up about 4 pm...£30
Free to go into St Peters but pay to go into Vatican Museums.
I have pre booked tickets for entry into Vatican Museums in July,,cost £40 for 2 people.
If you are on East Med cruise you can do most stops yourself.
P.S if you do the Rome shuttle do St Peters 1st as it can take up to 2 hours in line now they have put airline security scanners + security search to get in.if you go at say 2 pm you may not get in before coach leaves.
Johnny C
Hi Steve

Check your itinery and let us know ports of call you will get more help that way as you will find alot of people will of done them several times myself included. I thought the Thomson Celebration was doing the Adriatic next May not the Med? but could be wrong.

Mo
Hi sshotss
Steve did say Eastern Med which is Adriatic.
I think we got sidetracked into Rome discussion,,sorry.
Yes a good idea if Steve says which ports off call.
Johnny C
Hi

thanks for the replies so far. I think the celebration is doing a simlar route that the Emerald did.

Ports of call include start from Curfu---- Venice, Thira, Athens, Katakolon, Corfu Town, Kusadasi, Corfu Town, Agios Nikolaos second week Koper, Dubrovnik, Split, Corfu Town, Corfu Town, Venice, Venetian Riviera, Kotor

Hope this helps

Best Wishes

Steve
Hi Steve

The only one of these i have been to is Kusadasi. It was about 6 years ago and as far as i can remember it was a holiday resort with lots of large hotels and beaches and the centre was about a 5 minute walk from the harbour but as is usual with Turkey there are alot of street hustlers presenting you with a 'bargain'! When you walk out of the harbour the Bazaar is on the right hand side about two blocks from port entrance and to the left is the main street with the banks etc. At the end of the street there is a medieval watchtower which i think is now the police station, if you walk through the archway of the tower you will reach the main town. The most decent beach is about 15 minutes walk north from the port towards the marina. If you want to do an excursion then i would go see Ephesus it is a must see and is still one of my husbands favourite places that we have seen and we have seen alot. Ephesus is about a 25 minute drive away from the port. Sorry i can't help with any of the other ports bit i am sure some one will know.
can children go into all the entertainment venues/bars on board or are some adult only? also do they serve pancakes at breakfast?(my daughters are asking ...not me :D )
Hi

It is a family ship and children are welcome in all venues. Yes they have pancakes at breakfast.

Mo
Holiday Truths Forum

Post a Reply

Please sign in or register an account to reply to this post.

Sign in / Register

Holiday Truths Forum Ship image

Get the best deals!

from our cruise, ski and holiday partners

You can change your email preferences at any time.

Yes, I want to save money by receiving personalised travel emails with awesome deals from Holiday Truths group companies which are hotholidays.co.uk,getrcuising.co.uk and getskiing.co.uk. By subscribing I agree to the Privacy Policy

No, thank you.