Holiday Complaints

Do you have a holiday complaint? For help and advice post in here.
Airsharon, I'm not surprised you're fuming, I would be too. OK, you should have done your homework and sorted it out well in advance but the fact was, for whatever reason you didn't. The least Thomson should have done was to lend you some help, not turned a blind eye and left you in the lurch. Thank goodness for the kindness of the airport employee. I would certainly write a letter of complaint, naming and shaming them at Thomson customer Services at Birmingham.
thankyou Shirley h

I just wanted to post a message on here to make people aware that they need to complete all necessary paperwork before they travel.

I did one for my husband months ago at home but it was only when we came to check in that we were told it wasnt one per family, but infact one per person.

I have put a letter of complaint in the post today to Thomson hoping for a half decent reply - will post an update on here if I get a response
I doubt if Thomsons will be interested as it is always the persons responsibility to check that they have all the necessary documentation.
It was marked in Red on the documentation I received from my TA (Not the Cruise Company) so if anyone is at fault it is down to the Agent you booked with.
Look at the paper work you have. I would never have thought that I could do anything once I got to the Airport.
If like me when I offered this the ESTA when arriving in Miami they didn't want to know and we had to will in the usual green forms declaration on the actual flights.
When you apply you need to go throught the US Government site. They are going to start charging for this facility fairly soon and for anyone who may go to the US within the next 2 years could complete this now and avoid the charge.
There are many sites online who do charge a fee just as there are lots of Agencies for Visa for Australia etc. They charge all sorts of prices. Typically £20 but I got mine 2 years ago and again as I am going to OZ in November for £6.50 It is electronic but they do send email etc and you can print off the Visa.

Let us know how you get on. Check your TA. My Brother some years ago booked a holiday to Florida and living in Wales. Got to Manchester Airport to find that as he was Irish with an Irish Passport he needed a Visa. He and 4 children had to go home. Go to London on Sunday sit all day Monday at the US Embassy and then back to Manchester on the Tuesday to fly out. The Airline were great and put them on standby and they flew business class (DELTA). The TA had no idea he was Irish but at the end of the day like you he got off on holiday. Hope you had a good time.

Sue
Keelaleva2,

Yes I agree it's the customer's responsibility to ensure they've got everything in order before they travel and had airsharon not had a visa or had forgotten her passport, well she obviously would have lost her holiday as there would have been nothing they could have done at the airport. However, since all it takes to get this form is a little of time on-line, surely the least Thomson's could have done would be to point them in the direction of the nearest internet point, armed with the web address they'd need. After all, the other guy went out of his way to help and no money had been paid to him, unlike the thousands that had gone into Thomson's pocket.
You are right of course but unfortunately in life all things are not equal and not everyone is willing to put themselves out. Good neighbours are what we all need.
Sue
And PLEASE make sure that you go to American Government website for these forms http://www.cbp.gov/xp/cgov/travel/id_visa/esta/ as there are plenty of fake sites - usually banners on websites - that make you pay to download what are FREE forms. That's an even nastier scam waiting to catch out folk who aren't aware of it.
They're $14 from tomorrow

AAAAAAAAGGGGGGGGGGGHHHHHHHHHHHHH time runs faster than I thought!

SORRY!!! :whoops
I m sorry but as a travel agent , it is always the customers responsibility to check all their documentation. ALL paperwork from any tour operator clearly states that it is a requirement before travel to fill out the ESTA forms , how this is thomsons airlines fault i really cannot fathom .

I am not denying that the people at Thomson's customer desk could have been a lot more helpful but I'm afraid the fault lies with yourself , Air Sharon in not checking your paperwork. Did you book through an agent ? I ALWAYS tell my customers travelling to the US that it is requirement , and on all of our invoices and even receipts it clearly shows that the ESTA is an essential requirement .

I am sorry if this sounds harsh , but unfortunatly it is the truth of the matter .
Im sorry but as a travel agent , it is always the customers responsibility to check all their documentation. ALL paperwork from any tour operator clearly states that it is a requirement before travel to fill out the ESTA forms , how this is thomsons airlines fault i really cannot fathom .

I am not denying that the people at Thomson's customer desk could have been a lot more helpful but I'm afraid the fault lies with yourself , Air Sharon in not checking your paperwork. Did you book through an agent ? I ALWAYS tell my customers travelling to the US that it is requirement , and on all of our invoices and even receipts it clearly shows that the ESTA is an essential requirement.

Have to agree :que
Agree As I have said I had a big red writing on my travel invoice sent by my TA. The other thing is that this has to be completed several days prior to travel as this info needs to be on US computer. I think the fact that they are still not using this ESTA for entry is what would have saved the situation.
Also you mentioned something about having this earlier for your Husband would suggest that you knew about this issue. If you did then it is even more careless not to have addressed this.

Sue
I agree it has to be done before you even book the holiday.
You could book the holiday first then apply for your visa then be refused the visa.
Your then left with a holiday to salvage somehow.
I have re read the initial post and they did have an ESTA but only for the Husband and they thought that one per family was enough.
Need to read the information and yes you could be turned down but if you have no convictions etc etc then most people should be OK.
I don't see that Thomsons did anything wrong other than be a bit off hand at the Airport but it is not their fault or problem>

Sue
I agree it has to be done before you even book the holiday.
You could book the holiday first then apply for your visa then be refused the visa.
Your then left with a holiday to salvage somehow.

There have been problems reported on HT in the past of people not being able to get a visa. This particularly applies if you do not hold a UK passport.

fwh
An ESTA is not a visa and shouldn't be confused with one. It is an Electronic System for Travel Authorisation and is an electronic equivalent of the Visa Waiver which means that a visa is not required.

luci :wave
When you book online it reminds you with Thomson...just tried to book myself!
Holiday Truths Forum

Post a Reply

Please sign in or register an account to reply to this post.

Sign in / Register

Holiday Truths Forum Ship image

Get the best deals!

from our cruise, ski and holiday partners

You can change your email preferences at any time.

Yes, I want to save money by receiving personalised travel emails with awesome deals from Holiday Truths group companies which are hotholidays.co.uk,getrcuising.co.uk and getskiing.co.uk. By subscribing I agree to the Privacy Policy

No, thank you.