Cruises

Discussions relating to Cruising holidays
This Costa Europa ship first sailed in 1986, therefore will be 24 years old by April 2010. Doubtless a standard "refit" will take place, but cannot disguise the true age. Thomson will never be able to compete with the sensibly priced better lines, like Norwegian and RCI, who have new and newer ships. There simply is no comparison between such an old and the newer ships with their fantastic facilities.
I agree, yet they have such a loyal following even though they are as expensive as bigger and better ships, so they are obviously doing something right!
I have been on 5 cruises, all with Thomson, enjoyed every one of them - perhaps I am nervous of change? The thing is, I know I will enjoy my holiday with them, so am loathe to book elsewhere and I think this applies to a lot of people.
There simply is no comparison between such an old and the newer ships with their fantastic facilities.

That depends on your point of view. I have only ever sailed on Thomsons but have heard many comments from seasoned cruisers that prefer the character and charm of older, more compact ships than the plastic superliners of companies such as RCC. Thomsons seem to know their customer and have chosen a new (for them) ship that is likely to appeal.
Danger Man wrote:
There simply is no comparison between such an old and the newer ships with their fantastic facilities.

That depends on your point of view. I have only ever sailed on Thomsons but have heard many comments from seasoned cruisers that prefer the character and charm of older, more compact ships than the plastic superliners of companies such as RCC. Thomsons seem to know their customer and have chosen a new (for them) ship that is likely to appeal.

Indeed it does! Seems to me though that those best placed to express a view (for or against) would have experienced cruises other than those which Thomson provide. For the record we thoroughly enjoyed our Thomson cruise, back in 2005, and would use them again if the price & itinery were right. We have sailed with many other, far better, cruiselines for less than Thomson prices.

I stand by my comment, based on experience, that there is simply no comparison!
I agree with Hamrag

Having cruised with numerous lines, the best value for money at the moment is NCL and similar standard cruise companies. Thomson do a very good package for the Brit market, but at £500 + for 7 nights and £800 + for 14 nights there are better quality ships for similar money.

I can understand why they have a faithful following but do try others, you will be pleasantly surprised.
I agree whole heartedly with Graham. I would never consider using a Ship of this age as with the best will in the world they just can't compete.
This year I am sailing on the brand new Solstice rather than on older Celebrity Ships. It may be too large for me but at least I will find out.

Sue
The main reason we have stuck with Thomsons is because of their child pricing policy. Under 16 and child price applied; most other cruise line have an under 12 child limit. Needless to say this made a big difference especially with our two teenagers. Next year, though, they will be 16 and 19 and may not even want to travel with us. That will be the time to explore new cruise lines.
A weeks cruise at the moment with Thomson in the Med for next year is £800- £900. Way too expensive.
My sister and hubby are coming with us as first time cruisers next year but at those prices it wont be with Thomsons.
For the Med do you think NCL would be the best bet? Dont really fancy the ships with 3000+ passengers and unfortunately Ocean Village 1 will no longer be here.
This will depend on when you want to go. As my son is still at school and my wife works in a school, we are limited to school holidays which pushes prices up considerably. Also I have just been looking at NCL's brochure and I note that tips/gratuities/service charges are all additions to the cost. At $12 per person per day, that soon adds up. Thomsons includes all of these in the brochure price and you could probably get an AI upgrade if you book now..
Every time I book a cruise I think I'll give another cruise line a go - next year I wanted the Eastern Med but couldnt find a 14 day cruise that fitted the bill other than with Thomsons - eg Ruby Princess does the itinerary but only for 12 days - nor did I want to sail out of Southampton. However, having booked early enough to get the AI and also an early booking discount through Portland, I doubt I would have found anything much cheaper, especially taking tips into account.
We have sailed three times with Thomson, and loved every single sailing! We tried another line last New Year, sailing the Eastern caribbean with Carnival.
Dont get me wrong ...the ship and its facilities were truly amazing.....but we kept hankering after our favourite bar on the Thomson Celebration (Horizons :cheers )......and couldnt wait for our next trip on her!
yes the Carnival Glory was probably better value, but in the end money isnt everything! There IS a charm on the smaller more traditional ships.......and I will hopefully continue to be broadminded and try other lines from time to time, but nothing wrong with me enjoying my 'safe' cruises with Thomson! :D
gill1scott wrote:
Every time I book a cruise I think I'll give another cruise line a go - next year I wanted the Eastern Med but couldnt find a 14 day cruise that fitted the bill other than with Thomsons - eg Ruby Princess does the itinerary but only for 12 days - nor did I want to sail out of Southampton. However, having booked early enough to get the AI and also an early booking discount through Portland, I doubt I would have found anything much cheaper, especially taking tips into account.

Norwegian are basing the Gem in the Eastern Med next year, from Venice. They have two 7 night cruises, which visit different ports, so a 14 night back-to-back is possible. Having said that, I personally would not pay the prices quoted by NCL or TA's at the moment, and intend waiting until much closer to the time and book through a US agent and DIY the flights/hotel etc. Always works out at a much more sensible price, but some people do not like the "hassle" of doing it this way.
I didn't see that one but too late now. Don't fancy the hassle of booking everything separately. I'm happy with the deal I got - especially as my aunt just tried to book and the price had gone up from what she was quoted a few weeks ago and the ai is no longer on offer. If anyone knows how to still get ai please let me know for her. Also
as I have to go in school holidays i like the security of knowing I've got the flights and dates I want.
Please keep on topic to discuss the Thomson Dream only. I'd appreciate it if you could discuss other ships in their own or a new topic.

Thanks

luci :wave
I cruised on Celebrity Solstice when she was 3 months old out of Fort Lauderdale and 2 months later on Thomson Destiny out of Dominican Republic. The Thomson experience was far superior, so to those above who link age of ship with overall cruise experience I would say that there's a lot more to it than glass, chrome and a patchy lawn. I can't wait to get on the Dream but wouldn't go back to Celebrity under any circumstances. My next cruise i on the NCL Gem and it will be intriguing to see how it compares.
I agree with David Lacey - Thomson ships may be old and shabby but they know how to create a relaxed holiday atmosphere with a chance to dress up if you wish. The shows are entertaining and the staff are friendly. I have had some excellent holidays on Destiny and I look forward to sailing on the 'Dream'. I have sailed on other ships such as RCI's Mariner of the Seas and (whilst it was fab to have a balcony and see whizzy ice shows) we had more fun on Destiny! I'm sure Dream will be just as good!
June and Sept - Adults only crusing - pretty poor from my point of view given the scottish summer school hols start in June.
Priced it on 6th July from Glasgow , 2 adults one child aged 15 in an inside cabin - £3993 !!!! , they must be having a laugh , despite the all inclusive being included (i went on the Destiny this year for £1100 less than this - should also mention i was quoted £3700 for the Destiny on 26th June next year - direct from Thomson agent)
I have been quoted for 3rd July with the Ventura at £2772 for the 3 of us and on the RC Independance of the Seas at £3167 with $300 cabin credit by Thomas Cook- i really really enjoyed my Cruise on the Destint this year hence why looking at again for next year ,can't help but feel that Thomson's have there prices way out for the product they are selling next year.

I know it's way early to book , but if i don't book this early i don't save the money for a holiday !!! :(
message to gill1scott was just online looking at the thompson dream you can still get the AI just follow through to the booking pages until you reach where it asks for extra packages ie gold package at the bottom of the packages is AI at no cost if you booked through a travel agent go and see them if you did it on line phone them and explain what you want best of luck (hawaythelads).
sorry i put this on the open board but site would not allow me to contact with a private message...if anyone reading this can send a private message please copy and paste and send to gill1scott thanksif you can..
Thanks for that. Will pass the info on to my aunt.
Holiday Truths Forum

Post a Reply

Please sign in or register an account to reply to this post.

Sign in / Register

Holiday Truths Forum Ship image

Get the best deals!

from our cruise, ski and holiday partners

You can change your email preferences at any time.

Yes, I want to save money by receiving personalised travel emails with awesome deals from Holiday Truths group companies which are hotholidays.co.uk,getrcuising.co.uk and getskiing.co.uk. By subscribing I agree to the Privacy Policy

No, thank you.