Cruises

Discussions relating to Cruising holidays
We have just returned from our cruise on the Dream and as promised some time ago I am reporting on our experiences, Luci I will give a fuller version in the main section later.
As stated previously we have cruised with Thomson for many years so are fully aware of their standards, and I can confirm that the food, entertainment and service is up to standard and we felt the food presentation had improved and whilst the entertainment was good the ‘big' shows did not have the same type of presentation, we also felt that Paul Fisher was a better No.2 but that's only our opinion.
The ship is in a sorry state and is, in our opinion, a lot worse than any of the other Thomson fleet, but the cabins are better?
Lifts main problem for less mobile as not all working, some public loo's not working, ship did have an odour but no worse than the Spirit, deck 6 did flood one day but not all cabins affected, lots of other picky things but we are used to them with Thomson, like no hot water or no water. We felt the major problem was the amount of maintenance work being carried out all day every day and on most decks, not just the normal painting, but welding (life boats 2 out of service) fitting new engines.
The ship in my opinion is not fit to sail but we had a great holiday as did most of the other passengers and would I go on Her again yes I will. If you are booked don't worry you will have a great time and any problems you have will be sorted
If Thomson had a ‘new' ship no one would be able to touch them (in our opinion)

Roger :cheers
That was a great review Roger, from someone who has experienced the other Thomson ships and can give a fair comparison. We are just back from our 6th time on Destiny (wasn't really planned, a last minute cheap deal) and although i had a lovely time again, as I love that ship, its getting more obvious now that the ship is getting old and knackered and is due for retirement! So we were thinking we must look up the reviews on the Dream and see if they are getting any better now that they've had time to sort out the teething problems and now i'm not so sure it would be worth it - the Destiny may be older but seems to have less problems than Dream even now.

Which would you rate higher out of the two?

I think what you said was spot on - if they had a 'new' ship, no one would be able to touch Thomson.

We were going to try the Spirit this year (met some ex staff from Spirit last year on the Destiny who said its the best - there's no Spirit like the Spirit apparently - but I have been on the Celebration and when I considered being on that ship in late June with hardly any outside deck/sunbathing space I caved in and went with what I knew (Destiny) instead.

Sorry I've gone off topic now!
Well jessthepest i can only say we have booked the dream 'with all the problems' for the Caribbean next year, loads of deck space better we think than Destiny but we may do Spirit on late availabilty this year, as it is nice to see the staff, or Destiny that will depend on costs but we do love the Caribbean and found deck 9 on thr Dream great, just ask if you require any info
Roger
Got back last Saturday....Absolutely brilliant time the best holiday ever...Couldn't fault the Dream loads of room in your cabin,lots to do food was lovely especially in the Orion Restaurant....we are in The Grill on the last night and the food and service was superb,all the staff were so friendly on board....couldn't fault it....will give a proper TR later
Holiday Truths Forum

Post a Reply

Please sign in or register an account to reply to this post.

Sign in / Register

Holiday Truths Forum Ship image

Get the best deals!

from our cruise, ski and holiday partners

You can change your email preferences at any time.

Yes, I want to save money by receiving personalised travel emails with awesome deals from Holiday Truths group companies which are hotholidays.co.uk,getrcuising.co.uk and getskiing.co.uk. By subscribing I agree to the Privacy Policy

No, thank you.