Holiday Complaints

Do you have a holiday complaint? For help and advice post in here.
Portland were always the direct sell part of Thomsons, long before online bookings existed. They have been part of the Thomson group for years. They will cease to trade under their own name from Summer 2011.
I can't see that they are doing any different to any other tour operator. They negotiate a rate with the property and then put their own costing on it. At the end of the day if you are happy with the price you book it, if you're not, you don't.
The pricing issue is just business, doesn't matter what type but the price a company pays for something doesn't have to have any mathematical link to what it sells it on for. Look at school holidays, they will be different in Corfu, UK and Germany. The owners probably don't jack up the prices during UK half term week but Thomson will in the UK brochure - meanwhile in the German brochure TUI will be setting their prcies to their peak demands. So the same company will be reselling the same thing in two markets at different prices and the actual owners will be getting one flat rate.

But there is something here that does need looking at - although you were being charged more it wasn't obvious what it was you were paying for (at least at half term you know why it's pricey!!). So if you hadn't got it you wouldn't have known! A "better view" is a bit vague if they don't specify what a standard view is!
Holiday Truths Forum

Post a Reply

Please sign in or register an account to reply to this post.

Sign in / Register

Holiday Truths Forum Ship image

Get the best deals!

from our cruise, ski and holiday partners

You can change your email preferences at any time.

Yes, I want to save money by receiving personalised travel emails with awesome deals from Holiday Truths group companies which are hotholidays.co.uk,getrcuising.co.uk and getskiing.co.uk. By subscribing I agree to the Privacy Policy

No, thank you.