Tour Operators and Travel Agents

Discussions regarding Tour Operators and Travel Agents
Re: Thomson / TUI
727 Posts
I've had 3 * £100 off vouchers now :rofl -seems to be sent to any and all email addys they have on their systems!!!
brewerdave wrote:
I've had the "Xmas pressie" from both Thomson and First Choice this morning and haven't booked anything since July.

Same here and twice over because they've sent them to both my work email address and a personal one! And I've never booked a holiday with either of them - I assume that Thomson have found me because I've used them for flight only bookings but can't say it has tempted me to book a package with them.

But I think that the golden rule is to remember that in the travel industry prices will always go and down - there is no such thing as a fixed price. A close second is that there are both advantages and disadvantages to both booking well in advance and leaving it until closer to when you are going. Swings and roundabouts - the price for a package might drop the nearer to the time you are going but you might have less choice if you do. On the other hand if you are not that fussed about where you go then, yes, you can get bargains prices or bigger discounts if you leave it. Only you can decide if it is worth possibly paying more than if you leave it so as to be sure that you are able to get the flights and hotel etc at you want. If what you paid when you booked was a reasonable price that you were prepared to pay at the time then it is still reasonable no matter how it varies later.

SM

PS Perhaps the truly platinum rule is to never, ever go back and check current prices after you have booked! What's the point in depressing yourself if the latest price is lower than what you paid? And what is the point in discovering that it has risen? It won't effect the amount of money left in the bank - you've still spent whatever you spent and any further 'saving' is notional not actual. Unless of course the real reason is so that you want to depress other people on the plane by insisting on telling them how much cheaper your holiday is compared to theirs. :D
Hi

Any thomsons advisors on here who can help? I'm looking to book a holiday tomorrow and I phoned thomsons shop to ask about the low deposit scheme to which I was told is £75 pp and then the balance 12 weeks before departure, is this true? As looking online it says low deposit £75pp then the remaining deposit 8 weeks after booking
The balance of the low deposit is due 8 weeks after the booking has been made. If you cancel in between those times you are still liable to pay the remainder of it.
Thomson Holiday's new seat reservation system is *pants*!
Went online a few days ago to reserve our (already paid for)extra space seats for Mexico in May -it would only let me book my seats as the first name -directly I tried to book my wife's seats nothing was available! Tried two or three times but it wasn't having it - the actual page was/is only showing 1 extra space seat each way (ie two in total). :(
So used Facebook to contact them -very quick response and reserved me the seats that we wanted. :cheers
Now showing on the seat plan within My Booking -altho' it says a print out of this page will not be acceptable at check in!!!

However, no email confirmation -so after a few days nudged them again -now have an email addressed to "Mr API" confirming only my seats!! My wife is going to be a wingwalker!!! :yikes -and Thomson on Facebook keep telling people that they are unaware of any problems with the seat reservation system!!! :que
The new Thomson website is very poor compared to the old one. I have booked a Thomson holiday and if they weren't my favourite I would have gone with another operator.
Why do they have to make things more difficult?
I think a lot of newly designed websites are for viewing on a smartphone not a nice big desktop monitor. Hence they look sparse.

I have also found that Thomson's doesn't work on IE, only on Firefox.

It is harder to choose your destination/resort too.
Andd you can't see your wishlist until you set up a search.
Yes I also had a confirmation of my seats addressed to Mr API
Also on my boarding passes
I think they should have tested the new system first or have someone that is competent with the introduction of new systems black mark for Thomson!!!!
:que
I had the same problem and did it on the phone, I had seating plans open for the 2 planes 737/757 it may be from Seat Guru and when she tried to put me in the back two seats I was not amused and asked what was available at the front and could see where we where sitting on the seat plans.I was promised a email confirmation but it took three days and had three to mr API
Had a second email this morning -same as the first!!
@ Rogerdodger -hope the boarding passes aren't the same - because if so, my wife really will be sitting on the wing!!!! :(
brewerdave don't forget you have to go into the system to print off both out and inbound boarding passes. We were told we could not print our return passes as it has to be within 14days so we had to print ours in resort this may have changed now as we were one of the first after 18th Sept and it was absolute chaos .
You should get a layout of the plane showing your seats when you go into the system, if your lucky.

Hope all goes well :cheers
Sorry not 18th Sept 18th Feb (senior moment) Sept our next hol :think
Rogerdoger -we aren't able to print off our boarding cards anyway because we are going to Mexico -because of the US they have to be issued on the morning of the flight -we just print off a "confirmation of online check in" form- I presume that they will only give us outbound boarding cards at check in and we will get our return boarding cards at Cancun on the way back.
Printed our boarding passes a month ago and did both ways at once, seemed a very easy system
shrimper -presumably you weren't going to US,Cuba or Mexico.
Is anyone else finding that both Thomson and First Choice websites seem to be completely down and unavailable right now (mid morning Wednesday) - doing maintenance?.
Is it urgent stuff to try to fix the Heartbleed bug thing?
And now they are working again
- but I notice there's a new special offer code showing for 80 quid per booking on Thomson!
Tempting
Holiday Truths Forum
Holiday Truths Forum Ship image

Get the best deals!

from our cruise, ski and holiday partners

You can change your email preferences at any time.

Yes, I want to save money by receiving personalised travel emails with awesome deals from Holiday Truths group companies which are hotholidays.co.uk,getrcuising.co.uk and getskiing.co.uk. By subscribing I agree to the Privacy Policy

No, thank you.