Flight Only / Airline and Airports

Discussions relating to flight only, airlines and airports.
Thomas Cook airlines operate a 33 inch seat pitch from 1st May on all the longhaul aircraft, all the A330's have seat back TV's.

However the Newcastle - Dominican Republic flight this year is operated by a Monarch Airlines A330 or Boeing 767. These aircraft do not have seat back Tv's apart from Premium and even then i think it may be hand held. TCX operate to Dom Rep on there own metal from Glasgow, Manchester and Gatwick.
mel.w.76,

You might want to have a look through the Thomas Cook thread. From 1st May 2008, Thomas Cook will be introducing a new economy cabin with 33" seat pitch, leather seats etc. They've had seat back IFE installed on their Airbus A330-243's for years. There's also plenty of information on the Thomsonfly thread so you can compare the services. As of 1st May, the main difference between the two carriers will be the aircraft type; TOM use Boeing 767-304/ER and Thomas Cook Airbus A330-243. The IFE sysyems are slightly different, TOM have an on-demand system whereas only one of TCX's aircraft have this facility. The others are not on-demand. Both carriers offer a good level of service and will be pretty similar when you are thinking of travelling.

EDIT: I didn't see you mentioned Newcastle as the departure airport until I re-read your post! As goldeneye says, TCX use Monarch out of NCL so you may want to have a look at the Monarch thread. Monarch are said to be refurbishing their aircraft and introducing 33" seat pitch at some stage but no mention of seat back IFE. They currently ofer 30" seat pitch but I've yet to see a date when they will be introducing increased seat pitch. NCL - Puerto Plata in Winter 07/08 is operated by a Monarch A330-243. I would assume the same for Winter 08/09.

Darren
Although unless you are in premium on Thomsonfly you will have to pay an additional £5.00 per person for the Video on demand upgrade and access to the 90 cd titles the same applies if you are lucky enough to get the one Thomas cook A330.

Thomas cook will give complementry Ice Cream out, something Thomsonfly do not, they charge extra £2.00 on the flight.

these are all little things really, Thomas Cook premium cabin wont be as roomy as Thomsons but there will be very little in it. Puerto Plata is just under 9 hours from the UK so not exactly Majorca but it is only a small percentage on your holiday, there isn't much in the flight after 1st may, go for the better value option or your preferred hotel.

Having stayed in the Bambu myself I personally would go for Thomsonfly as I know its a Thomson only hotel, you will also get access to the other three Riu hotels in that complex(dont know if you have been before) Although your from Newcastle try a Flybe flight from there to Gatwick, Then fly from Gatwick on the Thursday the prices are a lot cheaper generally as the flights are not filling up as fast from Gatwick.
sorry, the bambu wont give you access to the other hotels in the complex, you have to stay at the palace Macao for that!
I wondered actually that Thomas Cook might be considering an upgrade to VOD on its other two aircraft when they recieve the new seating, a possibility, but we will have to wait until May to find out.
BEfreeTODAY,

I've been told the IFE isn't being upgraded. Seat coverings are being changed but not the actual seats so the IFE as it is will continue. Don't quote me on that but that's what I've been told. The screens are a little small by todays standards (5" I think they are) but big enough. The ex-myt ships should be pretty good when in the new configuration with the touch-screen and flight cams that the TCX ships lack.

Darren
I will say one thing for them, 3 different entertainment systems are going to be hard to operate, a change at this stage would have been the best option i think.

As in three there is;

MyTravels old system - Touch screens, Inflight cameras
Thomas Cooks old system - Remote controlled video tapes
Thomas Cooks new system - Video on demand.

I still cant help thinking it would have been best to change.
Hi,

Im flying out on April 26th to Sanford, Orlando with Thomas Cook. Will the seats have seat back tvs?
Last time i flew to Sanford (last march) i flew with Thomson, and they had those horrible tvs attatched to the ceiling/side, that you have to really stretch your neck out for! I hate those things... :cry
Id really like to know if Thomas Cook have them. I know they will after May 1st when i return on 10th May.
keriandsophie

All of the Thomas Cook Ailines A330's have seat back TV's through the whole aircraft, in Economy and Premium.
When are your travelling and from which airport and ill let you know what aircraft you are due to have, as some flight upto May are on MyTravel's Boeing 767's which have the screens from the roof.
Can we please post questions specific to Thomas Cook on the dedicated Thomas Cook Airlines thread. It just saves duplication and keeps everything in one place.

keriandsophie,

Are you on the TCX473K/L flight from Manchester departing at 1200? I think last saturday's flight was operated by a My Travel 767-31K/ER (MYT063/4).

Darren
No, im flying from Gatwick, flight TCX61K.

Thanks.
keriandsophie,

MYT061/2 (to become TCX061K/L from next month) was operarated by a Boeing 767-31K/ER up to the end of January. Since the A332's have now returned from Hajj lease, it seems they are now operating the flight with an Airbus A330-243. G-MLJL operated the last flight. If you remind me closer to the time (please post on the Thomas Cook or What Aircraft thread), I'll double check for you.

Darren
Myself, my sister and my mother went to the Riu Bambu about 4-5 years ago and it was awful. Its only saving grace was the beautiful beach. The staff could not care less about you, the food was very average, the main restaurant service was disgusting, crockery being left to pile up on tables so that none seemed to be free. The swim up bar was full of extremely drunk people most of the time and whilst we were there the pool had to be emptied twice and cleaned due to "accidents". The sunbeds were absolutely crammed around the pool so the only way to get on an off the sunbed was to slide to the bottom of it before standing up! It may of course have changed a lot since there but I would say go at your own peril!
Holiday Truths Forum

Post a Reply

Please sign in or register an account to reply to this post.

Sign in / Register

Holiday Truths Forum Ship image

Get the best deals!

from our cruise, ski and holiday partners

You can change your email preferences at any time.

Yes, I want to save money by receiving personalised travel emails with awesome deals from Holiday Truths group companies which are hotholidays.co.uk,getrcuising.co.uk and getskiing.co.uk. By subscribing I agree to the Privacy Policy

No, thank you.