Holiday Complaints

Do you have a holiday complaint? For help and advice post in here.
Hi Mark, welcome to the forums.

I know exactly how you feel and I would be disappointed too, however I've learnt not to make assumptions with holiday brochure jargon and if there's the slightest question mark over an item then to make enquiries first.

We usually book mainly private rentals and if it states satellite TV then I email and ask what channels they provide.

I doubt you will be offered any compensation. Sorry.
We had a similar "discussion" with Thomson a few years ago re TV in an appartment which was supposed to be "satelliteTV" equipped - not only was it all foreign channels but the only ones that didn't break up were German ! -we got a very similar reply to the OP.
As to comp. -the chances are between nil and zero - there are many people still fighting for comp. for severe flight delays -we lost a whole day of our holiday 5 years ago and got zilch other than the overnight hotel stop, and as Thomson claimed it was a "safety" issue we aren't likely to ever get any!!
As Glynis has said, it is never safe to make assumptions about anything when dealing with TOs. A statement that a villa or apartment has satellite TV means simply that it has satellite TV and unless it stipulates that it has English TV channels or you were clearly told in an email or phone converstion, then there is no guarantee that it will. Unless you can find the statement somewhere that this particular villa has English language satellite TV channels then I think that you are unlikely to get anywhere with this element of your complaint.

The crux of your complaint is that it didn't have English language TV channels and Thomson have in essence replied 'But we never said that it did, so you have no grounds for claiming compensation'. Had you not mentioned the English channels issue but simply claimed on the basis that what was provided was a digitial TV service not a satellite one, then you might have had a slim chance of getting somewhere but I'm afraid that you have probably shot your bolt by saying that your grounds for seeking compensation are that your enjoyment of the holiday was marred by not being able to watch the English language news programmes.

SM
Trying to claim compensation on the grounds there was no English channels, when the villa wasn't sold as having English channels isn't going to happen.
When it comes holidays, like most things in life, never assume. If something is that important to you that you try to claim compensation for the lack of it, you need to make sure you ask very specific questions to ascertain that your assumption is correct, and get very specific answers - in writing, before booking.
The UK companies changed the footprint of the Satellite so that huge parts of Europe could no longer receive UKTV.

Basically UKTV was being pirated (i.e. Stolen) and the BBC were fed up with people who weren't paying for a TV licence and Sky with people who weren't paying a sky subscription getting the programmars in places like Spain, Portugal, Cyprus etc and not contributing financially to the maintenance of existing systems and the development of new programmes.

Ex-pat forums were full of this.

There is no way this is Thomsons fault, millions have lost the ability to receive UKTV abroad via satellite the alternative now being Internet TV which can be unreliable for various reasons.

Nobody knew what date the Satallite was going to change so owners probably kept telling company's they were getting UKTV as the info was correct at the time they stated it.

Sometimes things change through circumstances that are nothing to do with either the owners or the travel company.
Hi just to say i watch Sky News Here in Qatar on my Ipad everyday it is free to air over the internet. If you want UK programs you will need to use a VPN but you can watch them.
Holiday Truths Forum

Post a Reply

Please sign in or register an account to reply to this post.

Sign in / Register

Holiday Truths Forum Ship image

Get the best deals!

from our cruise, ski and holiday partners

You can change your email preferences at any time.

Yes, I want to save money by receiving personalised travel emails with awesome deals from Holiday Truths group companies which are hotholidays.co.uk,getrcuising.co.uk and getskiing.co.uk. By subscribing I agree to the Privacy Policy

No, thank you.