General Holiday Enquiries, Hints and Tips

General Holiday Enquiries? Got General Hints & Tips? Post Them Here.
As the person who put a lot of effort in creating this style, it was meant for what it is representing: a tribute to those that fell during wars.

Members have an option through the User Contol Panel to revert to the subSilver style.

Mark :)
And thank you for doing so, Mark - lest we forget
bluejock45 wrote:
your post is unhelpful, unnecessary and offensive.
the question has been answered and acknowledged and no further discussion on this matter is really necessary or helpful.

Well actually I find justjoe's initial comment more unnecessary and offensive. Where would we be now if it weren't for the brave men who fought for us. Hang your head in shame.
  • Edited by MarkJ 2009-10-31 07:24:56
    To fixe quote
I buy & wear my poppy with pride every year. My gran's brother worked on the Burma railway and was imprisoned in a Japanese prisoner of war camp for 3 years, from which he eventually escaped. For me politics has nothing to do with it!!!
i love the poppy style, and was very impressed when i saw it, very respectful.....

and i wear my poppy with pride, it has its own memories for me....i dont give a monkeys about the way MP's push it, but everyone is entitled to there opinion, and i am not in the least offended about the original post, i dont see how folks can be, it wasnt impolite or offensive in any way....
Now you've got me started; let's not go the way of zealots who want our great country to stop celebrating Christmas in schools because of offence to other cultures. I could go on but I'd better shut up :zip
I don't think there's anything wrong with the banner at the top of the screen and I'm happy for it to be there for a few weeks. But using Poppies as click buttons and markers in the the left column is a bit tacky!

The whole topic of themes is just trouble waiting to happen. We could ask why there wasn't one for Holocaust Remembrance Day. Or why we have one at Christmas but not at Ede or Diwali etc. You can't answer that question without insulting someone else which is why the original post is a valid point - this is a travel board and maybe we should stick to what we're good at (unless someone wants to take on the job of designing a theme a week!).
hi mark.....you set this theme up perfectly.......

My HT friends....I would like to bring your attention to the NO posting request while the silence is on at 11am on the 11th Nov.....even if you do not empathise with the sentements of rememberance day...please respect the feelings of those who do....

As there is a delay between messages sent and recieved ...could the mods please tell us at what time the last post should be sent...

Could I suggest we change the name of this thread to " LEST WE FORGET" for those wished to do so after the silence has ended to post the words " we will not forget "
well said and well done mark....i wear my poppy with pride...j.d
stevie....yes there are a lot of popppies all over the site....there were thousands of red poppies in the fields were thousand of men lay dead and dying....thats why the red poppy is the symbol for rememberance.

This is britain ...where we all live....black white and every other shade in between....we are historically a christian country and are still ruled by a monarch who is also head of the christian church....because of this christmas and easter are still the 2 most important times in our year...though there are many other days ect that christians deem important.....christmas and easter are the 2 most relevant... and it is important to the majority that this continues to be accknowledged and these times marked as being different than the rest of the year.

It is recognised that we now have other faiths whose followers are just as british as our christian majority...and Im sure are also members or guests on HT...and understand why we have a christmas theme....

Accross the many non christian religions practiced now in britian there exists many days marked as important.....maybe some of our non christian members would educate us as to their most important day of the year ....an how a site such as HT would acknowlege it

When focusing on the relevance of a poppy "LEST WE FORGET " theme.....the emphasis falls on the fact we are all british....as such we all owe the same respect to the same human beings we promised as a nation not to forget...thats why rememberance day also known as poppy became part of our british calendar ....they were not only christians who fought and died but of many nations,colours ,faiths and creeds .....so britain still exists as it is today for every one....poppy day therefore is more important than any religious day ....it unites us all ....we all have a reason to say thank you...the voices who value freedom and peace speak in many tongues....when poppies are worn no interpreters are needed....it symbolises to many not just rememberance....but a plea for peace
When focusing on the relevance of a poppy "LEST WE FORGET " theme.....the emphasis falls on the fact we are all british

I'm British but I don't think everyone is British who post here!

Anyway, OP. It's a poppy themed background, deal with it or change it! Don't be posting threads moaning about it just for the sake up stiring something up! Exactly how does it offend you?
point taken chivas....I used british as a point of reference to make a point concerning the christmas theme being used and not themes for other religions....and to point out that the poppy theme was a multi racial and multi religious theme ...

The following was to expand and explain the reason ithe poppy theme was relavant on here...more so than the christmas theme...

there are also many citizens of other countries who also have reason to be thankful for the sacrifices made to keep them free...and would understand and respect why we have a poppy theme on here...

...they were not only christians who fought and died but of many nations,colours ,faiths and creeds
the voices who value freedom and peace speak in many tongues....when poppies are worn no interpreters are needed....it symbolises to many not just rememberance....but a plea for peace

Sorry if it didnt come across as it should have done...I atemped to include all our members no matter what their faith or their contry
Thats right,
Sorry Tweetie, I didn't mean it in a condesending way!

It's like the other week there was some kid on the radio saying anyone over 50 should be paying off 'his' education because they themselves probably got free education and the house prices were so cheap! Now maybe he has a small point but the fact is without the 'even older' generation putting their lives on the line and fighting for the country he wouldn't have a chosen education anyway! We could be under a totally different rule!

If remembering the people that died offends you then it sucks to be you!!!
Sorry if it didnt come across as it should have done...I atemped to include all our members no matter what their faith or their contry

i have kept out of this discussion as long as i could, remembrance day or poppy day as it has become known was primarily to remember those fallen in WW1 and then WW2 and now also includes those that have fallen in more recent conflicts,
it is a day to remember those who gave the ultimate sacrifice to ensure [as much as they could] the freedom not only of this sceptered isle but of all people of the world , please before anyone throws in the PC color/religious argument remember many of those who willingly fought in both these wars were Commonwealth troops who volenteered our forces in both wars included, those of many color and virtually all religions from Cypriot [both Christian & Muslim] Africans [both black and white] Indians of all persuasions and even included [although no longer an empire country] many Americans of all colors and creeds who joined British empire units as their own government took its usual stance of sitting on the fence.

ALL these brave men died to ensure you have the rights and freedoms you now enjoy wherever you come from

they grow not old as we who are left grow old
glad of your post chivas ....gave me chance to emphasise better what I was trying to say....which wizard has clarrified and expanded on ....thank you wizard...thats what I was trying to get across....the reason for poppy day is a world wide...multi-racial...multi religious...non sexual...recognition of what was given up in the fight for freedom and peace.....and as such is regognised by this forum as a valid reason to change the theme for a relevant period of time
Have a read of this. It does not matter what country you come from. What colour you are or what god you choose to believe in.

You enjoy the freedom to express your support, or not, because there are people, who have in the past and do so now, put themselves in harms way so you can continue to voice your opinions without fear.
People may not agree with the views you express but in this country you do not put the lives of yourself and loved ones in danger for doing so. Something that cannot be said about people in some countries in the world.

Those who serve to protect our freedoms deserve our support, no matter what our personal views of the rights and wrongs may be.

The average age of the military man is 19 years. He is a short haired, tight muscled lad, just old enough to buy a beer and old enough to die for his country. He is nearly a stone lighter now than when he was at home, because he is working or fighting from dawn to well after dusk. Letter writing is a pain to him, but he can strip a rifle in 30 seconds and reassemble it in less time - in the dark. He can recite to you the parts of a machine gun and use it effectively if he must. He can apply first aid like a professional. If your thirsty, he'll share his water with you; if you are hungry, his food. He'll even split his ammunition with you in the middle of a battle when yours runs low. He will find ironic humour in it all. He can cook his own meals, mend his own clothes, and fix his own hurts.

He has seen more suffering and death than he should have in his short lifetime. He has wept in public and in private, for friends who have fallen in combat and is unashamed. He feels every note of the National Anthem vibrate through his body while at rigid attention, whilst tempering the burning desire to ‘square away' those around him who haven't bothered to stand up, remove their hat, or even stopped talking. In an odd twist, day in and day out, far from home, he defends their right to be disrespectful.

Like his father, Grandfather, and Great-Grandfather, he is paying the price for our freedom. Beardless or not, he is not a boy. He is the British Fighting Man that has kept this country free for over 300 years. He has asked nothing in return, except our friendship and understanding. Remember him always, for he has earned our respect and admiration with his blood. Now we even have women over there in danger, doing their part in this tradition of going to war when our nation calls them to do so.

As you go to bed tonight, remember this image"¦ a short lull, a little shade and a picture of loved ones in his helmet. And when you read this, please stop for a moment and say a prayer for our ground troops in Afghanistan, sailors on our ships, and airmen in the air.

‘Lord, hold our troops in your loving hands.
Protect them as they protect us.
Bless them and their families for the selfless acts
they perform for us in our time of need. Amen'

This can be very powerful"¦. Of all the gifts you could give a British Soldier, Sailor or Airman, prayer is the best one.

fwh
Thankyou FWH, very powerful words there, and very, very true.
Bravo FWH

As I wipe away my tears, I'd just like to say
'Need anyone say more?'

Gussiebaby
Holiday Truths Forum
Holiday Truths Forum Ship image

Get the best deals!

from our cruise, ski and holiday partners

You can change your email preferences at any time.

Yes, I want to save money by receiving personalised travel emails with awesome deals from Holiday Truths group companies which are hotholidays.co.uk,getrcuising.co.uk and getskiing.co.uk. By subscribing I agree to the Privacy Policy

No, thank you.