General Holiday Enquiries, Hints and Tips

General Holiday Enquiries? Got General Hints & Tips? Post Them Here.
I will usually tip when on holiday but then I usually tip at home too when it's table service. I don't usually tip when I've had to go to the counter myself but it wouldn't occur to me not to tip when being served at a table. I would usually tip 10% in Europe but in Cuba the usual practice is to just round it up and leave the coins from your change. I've no idea what most people do at the big AIs - I've only stayed at one and was surprised that the staff were surprised when I gave those I'd seen most of a small tip on my last morning after a 3 night stay. It was highly enbarrassing to have the chambermaid chase me down to Reception because she thought I'd left those 5 CUCS on the bedside table by mistake!
Personally I find tipping insulting, not only to the recipient (if they actually get any or part of it) but to me as a customer. Interestingly talking to youngest in LA about this the other day. He was saying that then tipping culture is the USA is a pain, nobody does anything without being paid.
The problem with tipping in restaurants in the USA is that the staff are paid ridiculously low wages and use the tips they receive to make it up to a living wage. I always tip if I have been served at table and have received good service , here in Germany it's normal though to just round up the amount unless in a top restaurant, but in the USA staff expect at least a 15% tip even 20% which can prove very expensive when eating out every day on a holiday.
What I found MOST distasteful in the US ,was the habit of adding a cover charge then STILL expecting us to tip the waiter/waitress!!
Unfortunately, the US tipping habit has spread far and wide -last time we went to Cuba, the bar staff in our AI, were giving preferential treatment to anyone waving a fistful of dollar bills -never used to happen that way.
We haven't found that we have needed to tip at the few AI hotels we have been to. ( although as the holiday progressed we have gone on to tip) USA- you just have to accept the tipping culture and get on with it. Some tipping is ridiculous though- such as the doorman waving a taxi to the entrance. I will absolutely not tip at a restaurant if I have not been happy.
Singapore- we actually had the taxi driver calling us back to give us our change!
When we stay in a branded hotel chain I don't feel obliged to leave a tip as service charge is added to everything , when eating out I usually will tip around 10% if all is good , but only tip the 10% on the food part of the bill , I always deduct alcohol . If we just go for a coffee or soft drink I will round up
Holiday Truths Forum

Post a Reply

Please sign in or register an account to reply to this post.

Sign in / Register

Holiday Truths Forum Ship image

Get the best deals!

from our cruise, ski and holiday partners

You can change your email preferences at any time.

Yes, I want to save money by receiving personalised travel emails with awesome deals from Holiday Truths group companies which are hotholidays.co.uk,getrcuising.co.uk and getskiing.co.uk. By subscribing I agree to the Privacy Policy

No, thank you.