General Chat

Start a debate or just have a natter its all happening in the General Chat forum!
Yes, I do. :tup
I've been having my hair cut in Spain at the same hairdressers for years. The owner cuts my hair and if it's 19 Euros, I give a 20 euro note. If it's say 22 or 23 euros I give her 25 euros in notes. She puts the cost into the till with a recept and the tip (change) into a tin to share with her two employees.

I had my hair cut in England about 18 months ago and I wasn't thrilled with her performance (owner), so didn't leave a tip.....and would never frequent the premises again.

Sanji x
I do , it used to be £9 and I handed over a tenner , now it's 9.50 and I say keep the change , sometimes might give another quid if we've had a nice chat , I think 10% is reasonable , taking into account the amount of labour needed to tidy up what little I have left :rofl it's only a 10 min job really !! Only have a little bald patch about an inch diameter though , it's not a Bobby Charlton comb over yet !! Just in case you think I was al a Kojak :D
Yes I do - I go to a little salon in the next village along, and she charges very reasonable prices compared to that in the Town, I usually give £2.50
Babs135 wrote:
Do you tip the hairdresser if he is also the owner?

No. My Dad was in business (not hairdressing) and he was part of a kind of small business men's/women's association and it was always protocol that Propriators of business did not take tips.

Tips have traditionally been intended for staff in poorly paid professions such as hairdressing, waiting on etc whereas owners would be taking tdividends/profits from companies.

I worked in two different tea rooms light years ago, myself another waitress, someone doing the cold food & the owner doing the hot food, proper cooking. Tips were split 3 ways the Propriatoress would never have dreamed of taking any as she owned the place.

At my hairdressers on the odd occasion the owner has done my hair I don't tip, but I tip my regular hairdresser 10% as she just works there.
Probably not if they were the owner no.
so taking this further...what's a fair tip over here
and what's fair in, say Spain, for a 4 people, meal and drinks..,
put your total for meals and drinks and tip separate.
just curious to see what people do tip.
example meal £100.00
drinks £100.00
tip £20.00
do you end up paying more when your in a bar and just having drinks
that's €17.00 just keep the change and give € 20.00.
Holiday Truths Forum

Post a Reply

Please sign in or register an account to reply to this post.

Sign in / Register

Holiday Truths Forum Ship image

Get the best deals!

from our cruise, ski and holiday partners

You can change your email preferences at any time.

Yes, I want to save money by receiving personalised travel emails with awesome deals from Holiday Truths group companies which are hotholidays.co.uk,getrcuising.co.uk and getskiing.co.uk. By subscribing I agree to the Privacy Policy

No, thank you.