Spain - Costa Del Sol/Gibraltar Discussion Forum

Discussions regarding holidays in the Costa Del Sol.
Hi Shrimper.

The Pez Espada is situated within the Torremolinos boundary and inbetween two stations ( Montemar Alto and El Pinillo).

The railway line runs inland from the coast, so in terms of walking up to the train station, Montemar is better than El Pinillo.....in actual distance from the Pez Espada, El Pinillo station is only a fraction longer than Montemar, taking the dual carriageway route to El Pinillo.

Even the shortcut I know to save walking all the way up/down the dual carriageway to El Pinillo station, the route has a 'killer hill' , but no problem walking back down it if you get off the train at El Pinillo.

In all the years that I've been going to this area, I've never once walked up to the train stations, in my opinion, it's not worth the hassle when you can get a taxi outside the Pez for 5 or 6 euros, which is peanuts.

Another option is to get the L1 bus that runs passed the hotel every 30 mins. This bus does a loop between the hotel Aloha Puerto and Torremolinos town centre, en route to Torremolinos, it passes Montemar train station. It's usually at the Hotel Aloha Puerto on the hour and half hour.
There are two bus stops for the L1 bus near the hotel.

One stop is situated half way up the street opposite the hotel's main entrance, heading upwards on a slight incline towards the swordfish fountain/roundabout.
The other stop is situated just a tad opposite the pharmacy, turn left outside the hotel entrance and walk along the street (all flat).

For buses to get along the coast, you have to walk up the street opposite the hotel and at the top is the fountain/roundabout.
At the top of the street, turn left and there is a bus stop within a few yards if you want to travel towards Torremolinos and Malaga City.

Again at the top of the street, turn right and cross over the road using the zebra crossing and outside Mercadona supermarket is the bus stop to travel in the direction of Benalmadena and Fuengirola.

Tip: If you're going to Malaga City, take the bus .
Yes , I know the train is quicker and more pleasant than the 40 minute journey via bus, but if you stay on the bus to the terminus, you can stay on that side of the road and walk straight into the new port area with the shops and restaurants.
If you want to visit the historical centre with the museums and the Cathedral, from the terminus you cross over the extremely busy roads via the zebra crossings (with the controlled lights).

The Malaga terminus is really a glorified layby for the buses, however, you must buy a ticket from the booth beforehand for your return journey, otherwise you'll not be allowed on the bus back to the Pez.

Back to the Pez Espada:
If you use the hotel garden gate (you have a swipe card to get back in) you'll step straight onto the promenade. Walk right and you'll arrive at Benalmadena Puerto Marina, and if you walk around the Puerto, you can rejoin the promenade on the Benalmadena side.
If you turn left outside the gate, this will take you around the headland to Torremolinos town centre, and you can get a lift up into town for 50 centimos per person.

I have posted directions with photos for the location of the lift, it is well hidden and some people find difficulty locating it.

When are you going?

Sanji x
Sanji, many thanks I will take that info with me including the lift information
Holiday Truths Forum

Post a Reply

Please sign in or register an account to reply to this post.

Sign in / Register

Holiday Truths Forum Ship image

Get the best deals!

from our cruise, ski and holiday partners

You can change your email preferences at any time.

Yes, I want to save money by receiving personalised travel emails with awesome deals from Holiday Truths group companies which are hotholidays.co.uk,getrcuising.co.uk and getskiing.co.uk. By subscribing I agree to the Privacy Policy

No, thank you.