Malta and Gozo Discussion Forum

Discussions regarding holidays in Malta and Gozo.
Transfers
13 Posts
What did it say on your friends confirmation from TR did it list destination/hotel?
Yes I received confirrnation and the return journey went ok once they phoned Williams up to confirm but they had to correct the operater that they wanted picking up from Mellieha because the taxi was going to be sent to Marsascala. I don't know why the operator did not check on this they must have the email/form that i had sent. It could easily have been a frightening experience.
So the fault was with Williams? Did your friends documentation from TR state the correct destination/hotel and Williams took them to the wrong resort/hotel?
We used Travel Republic for our resort transfer on our last trip to Malta in February and that was with Williams garage.

They took us straight to the Soreda Hotel and picked us up again at the hotel for our return journey. Total cost for the transfer for 2 people £12.60.
Yes the problem was definately with Williams Garages and as I have mentioned they are the cheapest transfers from and to the airport but only if you book through TR. I'm sure that if travellers are going to a hotel then there ought not to be a problem. However if they are wanting to go to a private villa/apartment then thats where the problem arises. I just wanted to make people aware.
No thanks M&N was just trying to make it clearer in my mind if it was Williams who took them to the wrong place or TA who gave duff information.

When I used to work at First Choice, they used to offer transfers only and it was always a problem...

Basically, if you weren't booked as a package with flight, hotel and transfers then the transfer only would take you to a central location within the resort and not to a particular accommodation.

It always caused problems because it wasn't really made that clear when making the reservation.

It's been a long time now since I left so hopefully, they've changed that policy....
m&n wrote:
A word of warning to anyone booking a taxi transfer from the airport via Travel Republic. TR use the services of Williams Garages and they are no doubt the cheapest transfers. However only book this if you know where exactly you are to be transferred to and if booking for someone who has never been to Malta then think twice.
I recently booked for a transfer for two elderly friends who wanted to be taken to Mellieha.After supplying the transfer details on the internet to TR They were duly met at the airport. All going well. However the driver took them to Marsascala and promptly dumped them with their luggage outside a hotel. The couple not knowing what resort or even where they were. TR is good so long as you or the travelers know exactly where they ought to be going. If not beware!

Well it's happened again. My sister and aunt had booked through Travel Republic for a taxi return journey from the airport to the Pergola Hotel in Mellieha. The company was a2b transfers and they failed to turn up for the return journey. They rang the 'emergency' number but no one answered. Even the hotel could not get a reply on the phone.

Avoid at all cost a2b transfers.
If I remember correctly, the paperwork you receive with your transfer details may actually ask you to phone 24hrs ahead to reconfirm your return transfer....

In fact, I've just checked it as I still had the email from confirmation from our transfer earlier this year.

This is what it said on our transfer confirmation booked with Travel Republic for our minibus transfer in February this year:

SPECIAL INFORMATION REGARDING YOUR BOOKING:

Travel Republic Booking Reference: TRN/44*****

Outbound Pick-Up Instructions

Once you have collected your luggage, please proceed to the arrivals hall where your driver will be waiting, holding a placard with your name on it. Please identify yourself by showing him your name in your passport.In the unlikely event that you should have any difficulty in locating your designated driver please go to the Holiday Taxis desk which can be found immediately as you exit customs or call our 24 hour emergency helpline.

Inbound Pick-Up Instructions

How to find out your pick up time?
The pick up time for SHUTTLES on your booking confirmation is only approximate.
If you have included your mobile phone number within the booking, many of our suppliers are able to send you an SMS message approx 48 hours prior to departure with your shuttle pick up time. Please check your mobile phone for this information. Once received, there is no need to telephone the supplier.
If you do not receive an SMS message, it is vitally important and compulsory that you contact your suppliers (telephone numbers below) 48 hours prior to departure and during their office hours in order to be given your actual pick up time.
The supplier will not accept responsibility for missed shuttle transfers and/or subsequent missed flights due to non reconfirmation of pick up times.
There is no need to contact the suppliers for your pick up time for PRIVATE transfers unless you wish to change these from the time stated on your booking confirmation.

Reconfirmation Details

Overseas Supplier:
Edited to remove supplier name ****** Holidays Malta
Emergency Number: (00356) 9937 0603 / (00356) 2379 9111
UK Emergency Details: In the event that you are unable to contact the Supplier on the above emergency telephone number, please contact the UK emergency line on the number below.
24 Hour UK emergency number: +44 1273 828 200
Reconfirmation Number: (00356) 213 896 19 / (00356) 2379 9162
Office Hours Mon-Fri: 09:00 - 17:00
(Public Holidays: 09:00 - 12:30)
Office Hours Sat: 09:00 - 12:30
Office Hours Sun: Closed

Return Transfer Pick-up Time

The approximate pickup time of your return transfer will be 11:40.The exact time will be confirmed when you reconfirm your return transfer at the resort.

It sounds like you may have just missed out an important part of the process (twice)!
Wow is that right Cyprus100. Well how about 5 emails and four phone calls previous to pick-up with two confirmation emails and a verbal confirmation on the phone made from the UK! the day before departure.

care to try and explain that?
No idea - but every time we've used the transfers in Malta (booked with TR) we've had no problems... that's following the "destructions" we were given.
Yes and we have friends who regularly use them but when things go wrong the company/agent that TR use a2b Transfers do not want to know. They have still not replied to my complaint concerning their failure from Saturday morning. It maybe that the prices they charge are so cheap for a transfer to Mellieha that if they are too busy then they just do not turn out rather then contract the work out to another company beacause it will cost them.
Holiday Truths Forum

Post a Reply

Please sign in or register an account to reply to this post.

Sign in / Register

Holiday Truths Forum Ship image

Get the best deals!

from our cruise, ski and holiday partners

You can change your email preferences at any time.

Yes, I want to save money by receiving personalised travel emails with awesome deals from Holiday Truths group companies which are hotholidays.co.uk,getrcuising.co.uk and getskiing.co.uk. By subscribing I agree to the Privacy Policy

No, thank you.