Tour Operators and Travel Agents

Discussions regarding Tour Operators and Travel Agents
My Travel/Airtours
150 Posts
Thats nothing, they were down to 1p not too long ago (I missed out big time!) and floated around the 5-6p mark for a good few months! The management team have done an excellent job consolidating and refocusing. I've nothing but praise for them from my experience of travelling with them.

Darren
as dazbo states it was not long ago when the share price was coppers.we travelled with direct about 3years ago and the forcast was they were going bump,but they have survived.look at the shares now.i wished i had the courage of a mate at work he bought when they were 15 pence. :roll: i'm looking to airtours this summer for our holiday
I was the same, I was on the verge of buying a bucketfull when they were 1p, even had the forms filled out! As they were days from bankrupcy I didn't bother. Big mistake! Just shows how far they've come in the last 2 years.

Darren
I'm no financial expert, but I don't think MyTravel's shares were ever 1p. In 1999 they were about 500p falling to about 6p this summer. In July this year, as a result of a 30:1 consolidation, they were worth 180p!!!!
I'm no financial expert, but I don't think MyTravel's shares were ever 1p

It was only for about a month, but they were 1p in around 2002 or 2003 at the height of their troubles, I can't remember exactly when it was. They may have still been trading under Airtours PLC at the time.

Darren
I am a share holder in mytravel (I will explain why at the end of this). Todays share value is 231.00 ie about £2.31. I purchased shares over the past 18 months some at 6.58p some at 8.85p. Last July due to the reorganisation there was a pari passu issue which meant for every 30 Mytravel Group A ord GP.01 shares I received 1 mytravel Group Ordinary Share at 0.30. So I am currently about £2.30 per share up. However shares do fluctuate. First Choice shares are currently doing well as well but not BAA group at this moment.

Anyway the reason I bought mytravel shares was to get shareholders perks. This perk meant for only even just one share you could get 10 percent off the Mytravel group of companies fares. Considering the past two years we travelled with Mytravel this was a good saving. Unfortunately this year we are travelling with First Choice which do not offer the discount :cry:
I personally would never travel with this company after they destroyed our wedding holiday. I would have used them again had they attempted to resolve our problem which they created but instead they chose to ignore me until they wanted the rest of my money only then did they want to communicate with me.

If you go on saint helens website and type in Airtours in the search engine you will see a write up on Airtours when trading standards took them to court.
Anyone interested in reading "Direct Holidays + Succesful story" go to holiday complaints.

*Edit caps removed. - Glynis*
Anyone interested in reading "Direct Holidays and Successful story" go to holiday complaints.
yes it is safe to book with airtours like it is to book with any tour operator, airtours have been around for years and are centainly not in any kind of trouble!
You forgot to mention' in your opinion'!

I am sure however the lany on this forumn who have suffered at the hands of Airtours may disagree with your point. While the financial issue has ben ongoing for years - their customer service and after sales care is down right disgraceful, in my opinion of course!
p.s

Any company for example Airtours that lies to their own share holders really does have a death wish!
so can i take it from the comments above that it will be safe for me to pay the rest of my balance in april to fly out in June????? or am i at risk of loosing my money and having to wait for an ABTA refund???? I was very happy with the price i qot quoted over the net - 14 nights self catering appartment for family of four flying from gatwick for £1200 in late june/early july. now im worried :!:
Don't worry about booking with MYT, they are a great company and I'm sure you'll have a great time.

Darren
Yeah they are so wonderful!! Until a problem occurrs and then you're on your own!!
As a point of interest, have just spoken to my sister who has returned from Nerja with Airtours/MYtravel. She has nothing but praise for them. Everything was as promised. Because of mobility problems she had specified what she wanted in accomodation and location. She is so pleased she will book with them again. Not everybody has problems.

fwh
Yeah they are so wonderful!! Until a problem occurrs and then you're on your own!!

I'm sure there are many opinions based on experience with MYT, but in my experience with them, they are excellent, even when things go wrong and you get stranded in a foreign country for 2 days.

Darren
I travel with them every year on at least one holiday - this year so far have booked up two holidays. Never had a bad one in many mnay years of travelling - yes, I've had a problem with them once but this was sorted out immediately and excellent customer service. I appreciate people have had bad experiences, but it's a pity to worry someone to the extent that they are scared to pay their holiday balance!
Holiday Truths Forum

Post a Reply

Please sign in or register an account to reply to this post.

Sign in / Register

Holiday Truths Forum Ship image

Get the best deals!

from our cruise, ski and holiday partners

You can change your email preferences at any time.

Yes, I want to save money by receiving personalised travel emails with awesome deals from Holiday Truths group companies which are hotholidays.co.uk,getrcuising.co.uk and getskiing.co.uk. By subscribing I agree to the Privacy Policy

No, thank you.