General Holiday Enquiries, Hints and Tips

General Holiday Enquiries? Got General Hints & Tips? Post Them Here.
The following insurers have been recommended by members of Holiday-Truth.com
(list updated 27 May 2012)

For general travel insurance cover:

AXA
Aviva
Columbus Direct
Delta Insurance
Esure
Insure & Go
Marks & Spencer
MoneySupermarket.com
Worldwide Travel Insurance

Cover for pre-existing medical conditions:

AA Travel Insurance
Ace Holiday Insurance
Ageas Insurance
AIB Travel Insurance (Ireland)
All Clear Travel
Arch Travel Insurance
Atlas Direct
AXA
British Heart Foundation
Columbus Direct
Direct Travel Insurance
Endsleigh
Elephant
Epilepsy Action
Esure
ETA Green Travel Insurance
Insure & Go
Marks & Spencer
Medici Travel Insurance
Simple Travel Insurance
StaySure

Cover for holidaymakers with physical or mental impairment

Marks & Spencer

Cover for 'more mature' holidaymakers:

Age UK
Columbus Direct
Delta Insurance
ETA Green Travel Insurance
Insure & Go

Cover for high risk activities or sports:

Delta Insurance

Annual or Multi-Trip policies

Columbus Direct
Debenhams Travel Insurance
Delta Insurance
Direct Travel Insurance

Health/Travel Insurance related links:

Association of British Insurers
UK Travel Insurance Directory
Department of Health
EHIC (Information for Irish citizens)
EHIC (Information for UK citizens)
Foreign & Commonwealth Office

To save members from having to browse through several pages to find all of our topics on the subject of Travel Insurance, it would be appreciated if all questions, comments and recommendations are now posted here in this topic.

Many thanks
David :wave
(List last updated 27 May 2012)
  • Edited by David 2012-05-27 15:58:59
    Updated links and recommendations
My elderly parents booked a holiday with Direct Holidays and are due to fly out to Benidorm on 29th August. However, my dad has been taken into hospital with a prostrate problem and looking at Direct Holidays terms and conditions if they cancel they are only entitled to half their money back. They have travel insurance with Lloyds TSB which they pay £10 per month for. They took annual cover out when they opened a gold account with TSB as they thought it would save them the hassle of trying to find insurance everytime they went away. They made sure that it covered them for their ages. However, looking at the small print this evening the policy does not cover them for a pre-existing medical condition such as a prostrate. They did not tell the lady in the TSB about this as they thought that the £10 per month covered everything, she did not tell them that they had to let the insurance company know about a pre-existing medical condition. Is there anything they can do?
Hi glenamber ... this is a very unfortunate situation, but even if the terms of the 'pre-existing medical condition' clause were not verbally explained to your parents at the time, I imagine that it would be fully explained in the supplied policy documentation, which I'm sure they don't now need someone telling them that it is their responsibility to read to ensure that the policy meets their particular circumstances and requirements. We know of course that in reality, very few people take time to read and understand the full terms, conditions and restrictions of their travel insurance policy and it's sadly in cases such as this that it comes back to haunt them. Assuming that your parents have discussed any other options with their GP, I personally can't think of any positive way forward as far as the insurance policy is concerned.

I'm not sure whether it might be worth asking Direct Holidays to consider a change of travel date, as given those insurance conditions in relation to travel after surgery, that may involve postponing the trip for 6 months to a year. But any fees for such a change would certainly be better than the 50% cancellation fee which they are currently facing.

David
i have just returned from 2 weeks in fuerterventura,where unfortunatly my wife was rushed into hospital.she was in for a week following surgery and i must say that the service i recieved from my insurance was totaly garbage! the insurance as named above was supplied by first choice and i upgraded to the gold cover and paid extra for a preknown medical condition.we travelled with our 4 children,1 of whome is diabetic and on insulin and they said that they wouldnt assist with travel costs to and from hospital.they did offer me a room nearer the hospital for me and one child though.arent i lucky?i gues the other 3 were meant to look after themselves.never mind though at least they got there premium from me.if you are offered this insurance make sure you read it thoroughly or otherwise make sure you have plenty of money available. :x
Insurance for medical reasons will always only cover for the insured plus spouse unfortunately. I would try to claim for the expenses in travelling to the hospital though, if you don't try it they won't pay it!

Hope your wife is fully recovered now.
I am a Nat West A/C holder and have their advantage gold account - entitled to free holiday insurance you get a booklet which is your 'policy'. Has anyone travelled on holiday and had any problems. Personally I like to have a 'policy' in my hand and not just a 'booklet'.
Irene
I don't know Irene, I too apparently have cover within my bank account, but I always buy some anyway for my holidays. I had heard that some of these policies that come with bank accounts etc. are quite restrictive.

Does the booklet tell you who the actual insurer is? Like Eaglestar, AXA, Zurich? I would contact the bank and ask them lots of questions because I would feel the same as you. You need a policy number to ring up the insurer if you have a claim, so I would be asking for a policy to be issued.
Hi

Same here, we have travel insurance through our bank account, travel insurance on our contents insurance and we still take out holiday insurance when we travel. We normally use the post office annual family cover.

Rgds Jackie
I will ring them later as you say it is a policy number that you quote in the event of a claim. It was a thought that I had yesterday about it being the right one for me Typical me at the moment all last minute we fly on Sunday!!! I can ring M + S or the Post Office, if my policy doesn't come in time, my mum is staying at our house so I can stay in touch and still know I am covered.
Thanks for your help.
Irene
irene,
when you take out a natwest adv gold account you do get free travel cover.
you also get a whole pile of stuff from adv gold including a booklet that is in effect your policy-it has a policy number on it and contains all the terms and conditions.
it is not as good as some other policies but it does cover you for the essentials/basics.
i believe they also do a top up that you can pay for which will give you all sorts of extras, but i've not got round to checking all that yet.
my household policy, together with the adv gold travel policy and my EHIC card cover me for almost everything.
i would not worry too much, unless you can see anything that natwest dont cover that you really want/need.
Gues what I can'y find the booklet that is probaby my policy - hunting through some paperwork, just stopped for a coffee!! Will let you know how I get on.
Irene
Bit of advice please -

We have Annual M & S policy (going to Egypt in 3 weeks) last week I had to go to the GP on call as I had really bad headaches - turned out I had a virus and temp of 104. Recommended I take ibufrofen and paracetamol. Do I need to tell M & S? Thanks
as doctor has said its only a virus, they should also have indicated how long it will take to clear up.
as long as it clears up before you go it should not be a problem-same scenario is having stitches out for a cut -once its cleared up its treated as minor illness and so no need to report it
only problem is if it continues or doctor wants you to get tests or wants you to go back to them at some point ie a weeks time,otherwise forget about it.
Hi
Have found my Nat West Booklet and it has a policy no. on it looks like there is adequate cover (will double check later). Rang them can't top up unless you are over 70 or travelling for longer than 31 days. I have the new EHIC cards so I am sure I will be ok.
All I need to do now is wash, iron, sort out packing!!!!!
Irene
jimd-f, doctor didn`t say how long it would be, just to take ibufrofen to bring temp down and paracetamol for headache. I think I am better now, but she didn`t say 5 days or whatever.
I just got a quote from HSBC for a week in September to Ibiza for me and my partner and they quoted £37 this does not include lost baggage cover. This seems rather expensive can anyone recomend anywhere else?
Hi mari ... have you tried the insurers recommended on page 1 of this thread ?

David :wave
:lol: nope will give them a try thanks
Holiday Truths Forum

Post a Reply

Please sign in or register an account to reply to this post.

Sign in / Register

Holiday Truths Forum Ship image

Get the best deals!

from our cruise, ski and holiday partners

You can change your email preferences at any time.

Yes, I want to save money by receiving personalised travel emails with awesome deals from Holiday Truths group companies which are hotholidays.co.uk,getrcuising.co.uk and getskiing.co.uk. By subscribing I agree to the Privacy Policy

No, thank you.