General Holiday Enquiries, Hints and Tips

General Holiday Enquiries? Got General Hints & Tips? Post Them Here.
I wore travel socks the once on long haul. I'm a guy so not used to wearing tights so found them strange. Also I managed to get a DVT from the flight so I have a jaundiced view as to their effectiveness. Best thing I can advise is move around a lot during the flight and drink plenty of water.
I have merged several similar topics about travel socks into this single topic. Recent posters may now find information on earlier pages which they hadn't previously seen.

David :wave
how do you know which is the right size ?as a smoker and a 1st time flyer going too fuerteventura is it recommended that i wear them ?thanks for replies :D
David b yes it is recomended that smokers should wear the socks , as for the size's there the same as shoe sizes .
cool, thanks for that dee.i have an excuse to do more holiday shopping now ( its not just you ladies who like shopping lol) :D
Hi Dee 111, I am also diabetic and have angina so I thought I would make enquiries about flight socks as we go to Florida every year. Our local chemist had some on sale and I was going to buy some but he told me that diabetics are not supposed to wear them. I looked at the packet and it did say that they should not be worn by diabetics. I did not buy them, of course, but it is worth making enquiries.

:? :? :?
hi babs 2003
just read your post with interest,also a diabetic with a few other health problems.
i am going to spain on saturday, on the coach(dont like flying) .so i thought i would look into flight socks.asked my pyshio at hospital and he said they are great, but still keep moving your ankles.
then when i saw my diabetic doctor,she said the warnings on the packets are just general,and go ahead and wear them.
i got mine off of e bay 4.98 a pair.i have tried them .bit tight to get on but then quite comfy.
but i will let you know how i get on.
i am writing this very early as i cant sleep,too excited, cant wait etc
regards angelica :D 8) :D
Hi Babs

Nice to meet another diabetic on holiday-truth.com ! :lol:

I went and saw my diabetic nurse last night for our pre-holiday jabs and asked about flight socks for the flight, she advised that the warnings on the packaging are just there as a precaution and are prefectly safe for diabetic's to use ( unless you have really really bad circulation to the feet , as the socks are a little tight and can actually prevent blood flow to the feet instead of incouraging it ) . So i will probably purchase some now, have looked on a web site called tightsplease.co.uk they sell them in nude and black and are priced at 6.99 plus free delivery , much cheaper than Boots they are selling them at £12.99 !

Happy holidays / feet ! :P
hi dee 111,
i got my flight socks on e bay wbsocks at 4.98 and free postage,arrived in 2 days.
also make sure there big enough,ie,if you take a size 7 shoe,get the socks 6_ 9,as if the socks are to tight they can be just as harmful.
angelica
Thanks for the tip angelica ! :lol:
Just picked some up from my local ASDA store. They are priced at £4.88 and come in sizes s-m-l. I got the medium and that's for shoe size 6-9. They only had black ones though, not sure if they do any other colour.
hi shaz which department in asda did you get your socks from.we do our "friday big shop" in our local asda.will get a pair here :D
Hi David.

I got them from the Golborne store which I think is alot smaller than the one in Bolton, so you may get more choice in colours there. They were by the tills in the George lingerie section for some reason, but I'm not sure if that's the usual place for them, so I would just ask one of the store assistants on Friday when you do your 'big shop' :lol:
Hiya

I live in Birmingham and I noticed in my local Aldi store that in amongst the travel items on sale (hairdryer, travel adaptor etc) they had flight socks for £3.99.
Yes, I did spot these but they'd sold out because all the tight wads got there before me. Had to pay the extra 89p at Asda :lol:
cheers shaz will keep my eyes open in the lingerie depatment.just hope wife believes me when i tell her i am looking for the socks lol :wink: :D
hi every one does every one need to wear these flight socks i thought you would be ok just doing the foot exercises :?:
You don't have to wear them it's just a precaution. I never wear them on short haul flights, but usually there is not enough room on longhaul planes
to move your legs never mind do exercise. Walking around the plane can help but on a 12-15hrs flight there is a limit to how much walking around you can do, if you can even get out of your seat.
People wear them as a precaution but its still possible to get a DVT when wearing them...combine them with the other stratagies for minimising risk of DVT such as the exercises, moving about the plane when safe to do so, good hydration etc.
Holiday Truths Forum

Post a Reply

Please sign in or register an account to reply to this post.

Sign in / Register

Holiday Truths Forum Ship image

Get the best deals!

from our cruise, ski and holiday partners

You can change your email preferences at any time.

Yes, I want to save money by receiving personalised travel emails with awesome deals from Holiday Truths group companies which are hotholidays.co.uk,getrcuising.co.uk and getskiing.co.uk. By subscribing I agree to the Privacy Policy

No, thank you.