General Holiday Enquiries, Hints and Tips

General Holiday Enquiries? Got General Hints & Tips? Post Them Here.
Post subject:
86 Posts
Forget all the stockings unless they are class one compression stockings and fitted properly. I got mine on prescription because I have had a DVT and pulmonary embolism I used them until I discovered Zinopin.
These are tablets 10 in a pack five for going and five for coming back The guy who put them on the market is a vascular surgeon in London who deals with these problems. They are natural ingredients and they work superbly. When I had to wear the stockings they were very uncomfortable. Downside they are 14.99 a pack but as a life saver I just include it the price of my holiday. There are write ups on the net about them. They also prevent travel and motion sickness.
Margaret
It's OK to say forget about them unless they are specially prescribed, but unless you've already had a DVT, or are in an high-risk category, you're not going to be able to get them on prescription anyway just for going on holiday. Personally, I think the best thing is to do the leg exercises whilst sitting on the plane, and get up and walk about as often as possible. I take an aspirin the day before and on the day of the flight.
It's important to see your doctor if you think you may be at risk of DVT, find out if the doctor can give you anything before you go.
I was not suggesting that getting stockings on prescription is the answer. I meant that the cheap stockings you can buy over the counter wil not do the job. Anyone can buy the class one stockings from a pharmacy they are not just available on prescription but the are expensive. Taking asprin is a very bad idea for anyone with any kind of gastric problems.
I've got a 9 and a half hour flight to the Dom republic in October and I've only done short haul flights before so I've never used the socks,

I do have some bad veins on one of my calves, don't no if this makes a difference and I'm also a smoker, so I was wondering if it would be advisable for me to wear some socks :?:

samx
I think it would be a good idea for you to wear them. It's a long flight and it is a lot better to be safe than sorry, you wouldn't want to spoil your holiday.
looks like my legwear is sorted for the flight then........ :lol:

samx
Has anyone else recently seen the tv advert for the above product, according to the advert they claim that 1 in 23 passengers could develop dvt on flights, I may of misheard exactly what was said and I haven't seen it since, but if this is what is being said, then it seems outrageus to me as this would mean if true that every aircraft carrying 23 or more passengers could have a potential dvt case, anyone else got any views on this.

Sliema2
Hi

Government advice HERE

Scholl ad HERE

Philippa :D
Kind of scary isn't it. I fly long haul quite often and after one of my flights suffered a DVT (even though I was wearing the flight socks at the time and had taken a dose of aspirin and don't drink alchohol on the flight). I was on a flight with a reasonable seat pitch (34") and so I put the DVT down to too much inactivity as I fell asleep.

Since then I have obviously taken some interest in the condition, some studies suggest that one in 100 people on the flight develop a DVT or associated condition. That's develop a DVT, not at risk of having one. So if you accept those findings on your average long haul flight 3 people get a DVT. I'm not sure if I accept its that many people, but I do wonder if there is a problem here that has been kept quiet for a long time by the airlines.
Sunbear..sounds as if you did all the right things..and still got a DVT. On long haul I wear the socks and take asprin too.
hbrac...yep did all the right things but still got one. These days when I go long haul I don't bother with the socks, just drink plenty of water and walk about the plane a lot and use my foot gym to keep circulation going.
How do you know if you've got a DVT?
I had a dull ache in my lower left leg. Given the publicity about DVT thought I had better get it checked out. Once doctor heard I had been on a long haul flight a week earlier, he referred me to hospital for an ultrasound scan. Diagnosed within an hour of visiiting GP. Quite impressed with service from NHS.

To be honest the pain from the DVT was only a niggle, felt more like a muscular ache, if it had not been for the publicity I would not have known and would not have visited doctors. On diagnosis the doctors told me not to walk far, which I found ironic since I had run across Schipol airport to catch a connection only the previous week after the long haul flight.
I've purchased 2 pairs of the lovely looking flight socks from Boots today and the instructions explain how to put them on which is easy enough, but I was wondering if I put them on whilst on the plane before take-off or whilst in the airport ??
Also, when is the best time to remove them after landing ??

Never flown longhaul before so a bit unsure about various matters.
Any help would be much appreciated

samx
I usually put on my socks whist in the boarding gate lounge,and take them off whilst waiting for luggage,but if you have a long transfer to resort,I would keep them on until you arrive at your accomadation.

Diane :gluck
Thanks for the advice.....I'm sure I wont be the only one getting on the plane with my lovely socks on, :D
sam
I would put them on before you get on the plane, as there just isn't the room once on board to put the darn things on. Remember to drink plenty of fluid and exercise as well on the flight, as just wearing the socks is only one of the precautions you should take.
Never used flight socks. I did look at the info on the back of a pair of both Scholl and Boots ones which I THINK would be ok if you're in low/medium risk. http://www.easyjet.com has lists of what is low, medium, high risk of developing DVT and the precautions each category should take. If you're going on a long flight and think you may need them then I'd suggest you go to your GP and ask their advice. The ones available like School are reasonably priced. I only know this as I found out that I was at risk while on the pill but only found out after doing a few flights. I didn't bother with them as the flights I was doing were only 1.25 hrs from Belfast to Stansted. Live in Northern Ireland, parents live in Norfolk.
Just wondering if anyone knows---------------is it OK to use flight socks if you have high blood pressure and are on medication for it?????????
Holiday Truths Forum

Post a Reply

Please sign in or register an account to reply to this post.

Sign in / Register

Holiday Truths Forum Ship image

Get the best deals!

from our cruise, ski and holiday partners

You can change your email preferences at any time.

Yes, I want to save money by receiving personalised travel emails with awesome deals from Holiday Truths group companies which are hotholidays.co.uk,getrcuising.co.uk and getskiing.co.uk. By subscribing I agree to the Privacy Policy

No, thank you.