General Holiday Enquiries, Hints and Tips

General Holiday Enquiries? Got General Hints & Tips? Post Them Here.
in flight socks
86 Posts
Like Lin I would swear by inflight socks. My first few days of a holiday used to be one of swollen feet and being in agony at the end of an evening wearing sandals! They don't look good on but who cares!!!
I kept my 2 pairs after my knee op last year. I know they look ugly but under long trousers nobody would know. Also, I had to wear them for my first couple of trips a few weeks after the op plus had to take aspirin tablets (special low dose ones) for 1 week before + 3 weeks after flight.

So since I now have 2 pairs of socks, I always put them on for flights and also long coach journeys. Better to be safe than sorry.

Good news that they are now readily available in different colours - mine are those ugly white ones (I can feel a trip to Asda is coming up).

Cic
Transferred from a separate topic:

lin b
Four Star Member
110 HTPoints
Posted: Sat Feb 05, 2005 9:53 pm Post subject: In-flight socks

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

I recently purchased a pair of these extremely leg enhancing socks after seeing a programe detailing their merits, and on the recommendation of a friend, This is the first time in years i hav'nt arrived in goa with feet resembling pigs trotters, I would highly recommend them for long haul flights,

SteveM
Two Star Member
24 HTPoints
Posted: Sat Feb 05, 2005 9:56 pm Post subject:

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Are you one of those who put their feet above the seats and do their exercises

spike
Three Star Member
486 HTPoints
Posted: Sat Feb 05, 2005 10:24 pm Post subject:

Lin and Steve, this could be a good thread you have started as i have not seen much info about these socks,do they really work ? as anyone ever had any serious problems ?
I (and i guess most long haul travellers) suffer from swelling ankles,would like to hear from other travellers on this.

lin b
Four Star Member
110 HTPoints
Posted: Sat Feb 05, 2005 10:39 pm Post subject: IN flight socks

I recently saw a programme where they took 3 groups of people on a flight one group had to get up and excercise during flight, one group had to sit down throughtout the flight and the 3rd group wore the socks.

There was very little difference in the excercise group and the ones who sat still, the only group who did not suffer swelling was the sock wearers.

I tried them my last flight, and it really was the 1st time my feet didnt swell. I got mine at gatwick, but i believe they are 1/2 the price at asda,s
I swear by them now, A word of warning DO NO wear them with shorts.

SteveM
Two Star Member
24 HTPoints
Posted: Sat Feb 05, 2005 10:45 pm Post subject:

So it was you lin b on that commercial for in-flight socks
In response to Spike questions about the in-flight socks...I wore them, took aspirin before the flight cut out the inflight alcohol and still managed too get a DVT.

My consultant while I was being treated recommended plenty of exercise and water during the flight so now I'm the one who smuggles six packs of mineral water on the flight and annoys people by walking around a lot and not sleeping
Iv'e just been to Asda to buy some of these socks but they don't have any. They must only sell them in the summer time. Anyone know anywhere else I might get a pair? Thanks Tracy
Try Tesco's Tracey..thats where we got ours. :lol:
Thanks Pam7 will do!
Just thought I would post...I just bought a pair of inflight socks from Ebay....only cost £3.25 + 50p p+p, brand new from a producer of these socks, came along with instructions etc. And they had lots of colours, balck, white "natural" brown, - and sizes up to size 12 or 13 for men too....

Just put in the search flight socks....

Karen x
For those of you that get free prescriptions or pre-pay. You can get them on prescription from your doctor. Just say that you are worried you may get a DVT.

C xxx
Hmmm...wonder if I can get them on the NHS. Must say that with the two DVT scares I have had NHS has been great. Within half an hour of visiting doctor I was at hospital having an Ultrasound scan. And I thought I'd pulled a muscle. :?
Yes, you will definitely get them on NHS. Especially since you've had one!

My auntie got them just because she was worried about it, but people with any kind of condition, ie heart, diabetes, or anything that puts you at slightly higher risk can get them, even smokers!

I suppose it depends on the doc but I would say you are a definite.

C xxx
Don't know if this has been mentioned before.....but it's been recommended to take low doseage asprin (75mg)...1 per day...couple of days before flying....and after. Thins the blood...but check with doctor if on other medication first!!!!
Trouble is I find them weird to wear...on my last two longhauls I've just walked around the plane alot and not worn the socks...and stayed awake.
will they have this time of year march and were are they ,,with goerge clothing or near sun lotions@ which i cant find ,, il look harder when i next go thanks xxx
Is there an alternative to taking asprin only i am allergic to it and just wondered if there was anything else i could take instead.

MEL :D
Has anyone used travel socks before?

Are they comfortable :?:

I have a 11 hour flight to Mexico in just over 4 weeks and as i am a diabetic i have bad circulation in my feet and need to do everything possible to help them, any feed back would be great .
I wore them for the first time on a 15hr flight to Vietnam a couple of years ago. I thought they might be tight but they were comfortable so I wear them on all my long haul flights now. I wish I had bought the light coloured ones though as my black ones look stupid with sandals.
lol i can just imagine !
Holiday Truths Forum

Post a Reply

Please sign in or register an account to reply to this post.

Sign in / Register

Holiday Truths Forum Ship image

Get the best deals!

from our cruise, ski and holiday partners

You can change your email preferences at any time.

Yes, I want to save money by receiving personalised travel emails with awesome deals from Holiday Truths group companies which are hotholidays.co.uk,getrcuising.co.uk and getskiing.co.uk. By subscribing I agree to the Privacy Policy

No, thank you.