General Holiday Enquiries, Hints and Tips

General Holiday Enquiries? Got General Hints & Tips? Post Them Here.
Another option is to use one of the prepaid cards, I regularly use the Caxton FX card which gives free withdrawals and their rate is very competitive :tup

https://www.caxtonfxcard.com/index.asp
Any ideas on the best and safest way for my daughter and her friend (both 18) to take their holiday money when they go to Ibiza for their first ever holiday without us?

Of course they're not at all worried but Mum is :que
pre paid credit card would seem favourable these days, then both parents can keep a record of the account and add fund [from home] if they get into bother
That's great wizard thanks. I will definitely look into it :tup
Tesco's rates yesterday was 1.17 euro and 2.72 for Turkish lira better than what was offered in town so bought some
It pretty poor of Thomas Cook, and Thomsons, and there counter parts, not to give us a good exchange rate

Now my holiday is boked with Thomsons, and the gilr told me, when my tickets are ready to collect, I will be privilldge to getan exclusive rate for my currency

If its like last year, I got ripped of, I wouldnt use thomas cook, or thomsons again, but insted I would go to cash convertor/generator or ICEpic, for a better rate of exchange, and no limit required, you could exchange £100 and still get the same rate, even for £500

Cash Convertor.Generator, and ICE pic there current exchange rate for the Euros is £1 - €1.2035

Thomas cook/Thomsons for amounts less than £500, exchange rate for the Euros is £1 - €1.1735, which is advertised online, but may be less if you go instore

And with a Cash convertor opened up in my local shopping centre, think this is where I going to head to to buy my currency
Ok really silly question coming up.
If a card is branded x and all the literature is branded x but it is bought in location y which theoretically has it's own card. Is it Card x or Card y?

Going to have to email to confirm I think.
Right only two weeks till my holidays and need to sort out currency, we are of to Greece. I am planning on taking so many euros and taking the rest in travellers cheques. Have just gone to order them over the phone and I have been advised not to use travellers cheques in Europe as people are having problems cashing them. I have also been advised not to take the pre paid cards to as they prefer cash. Any one got any advice. I really don't like having to go to the hole in the wall to get my money out.
there is no difference in a pre-paid or bank issue card, up to now i have never had problems, but as you are off to Greece, be aware no matter whose card you have, a charge Will be made at point of purchase [this is what the bank charges the shop to take the card]

I have never taken T/C's to Europe, you pay a fee to buy them and another to cash them,
Using an ATM is as secure as it is in the uk [provided you take the normal precautions, with the added benefit of the interbank exchange rate [less a small fee] so make only one or two cash withdrawals

yasus
wizard
;) yes that's what we do Whizz. I did let card companies know beforehand that we were going to be in Greece between certain dates last year...plus made sure O/H had HIS cards :roll: too and back up of other cards - but there was no problem whatsover. We even did this in Thailand too.
Think I am probably going to go for a pre paid card. Thanks for the advice guys
just thinking that the thread title might be better without TCs being emphasised first and also adding pre paid currency cards to the title? It might end up getting more posts. :)
got my Euro for our net trip this morning, in Bedford town centre,

Halifax € 1.115

Thos Cook € 1.12

co op travel € 1.13

cash a cheque € 1.153
Right,I asked a similar question several years ago and never got an answer...but here goes.....
Going to an AI in Mexico in a month -been advised to take small $$ bills for tipping & want to order $200 -the problem is that ordering online there doesn't seem to be a mechanism to purchase small bills ($1 & $5 s) -past experience we usually end up with $20s and $50s!!!
My own bank can't guarantee -just say that they will try -has anyone found a guaranteed way of getting only small bills for holidays :duh
The post office advise small denomination currency so why not check to see if you can get some from there as you'll be "following their advice" ;)

http://www.postoffice.co.uk/travel-money-tips
Thanks Glynis -the PO website still allows you to specify low notes (altho' still no guarantee!!)- And it seems a pretty good ex rate ! :cheers
Will give it a go - can pick up from village PO as well.

Looking back I actually arranged an airport pick up from Travelex a few years ago ,when their Customer Services asked the airport branch to assemble with small denomination notes -but I seem to remember that I still got some $50s!

update -won't allow me to purchase less than £400 worth online :cry Back to the drawing board
Holiday Truths Forum

Post a Reply

Please sign in or register an account to reply to this post.

Sign in / Register

Holiday Truths Forum Ship image

Get the best deals!

from our cruise, ski and holiday partners

You can change your email preferences at any time.

Yes, I want to save money by receiving personalised travel emails with awesome deals from Holiday Truths group companies which are hotholidays.co.uk,getrcuising.co.uk and getskiing.co.uk. By subscribing I agree to the Privacy Policy

No, thank you.