Tunisia Discussion Forum

Discussions regarding holidays in Tunisia.
Tunisia
27 Posts
Hi,

Depends a bit on the sort of holiday you're looking for. Tunisia has so much to offer there's almost certainly going to be something that's right for you. If you have any definite ideas of what sort of holiday you want, what time of year you plan to go etc then let us know and I'm sure someone here will be able to come up with some suggestions :)

A.
Was looking to go July/August 2007. Travelling as a family 2 adults and 2 kids one will be 12 and the other will be 8.Was wondering wot part of Tunisia to stay in and is there much to do outside of the hotels/resorts.
I,ve been to Tunisia 6 times now and loved it there but only stayed in P.E.K, although have visited other parts on days out etc, but prefer it there. You will find most of the entertainment and activities are very much set in the hotels. There are lots of water sports on all the beaches and things of interest to visit on organised days out by your tour reps, but to be honest with you going in July/August it will be extremely hot :sun :sun and your children would probably be just as happy to stay in the hotel pools or on the beach in the sea to keep cool 8) The beaches are quite safe and clean and most of the hotels are like little palaces and spotlessly clean and cater for most. It is very cheap in Tunisia and the yellow taxis are quite cheap also and will take you anywhere you want to visit. If you have a specific hotel or resort in mind then let us know and i,m sure someone will be able to give you some advice. :wink:
Hi deb 2.Thanks for info on Tunisia.Haven't a clue where to stay.Where told if you go to Tunisia go to Hammamet/Yasmine. All i want is some where nice and things for the kids to do. :? Please somebody help!
hi :D
I am also looking to go to tunisia in August 2007 and like you dont have a clue i have 3 children aged 16,13,10 as of next year ! if you find somewhere that you will think suits me let me know please i need all the help i can get, also like you i would like entertainment for the kids and actvities so they dont get bored as if they are happy my husband and i will be happy :D :D
regards
carolyn
Why dont you try The Occidental Allegro Abou Sofiane and Riviera hotels or the Golden Soviva hotel both of which are situated in P.E.K. I know these hotels have alot going on for kids. Both have kids clubs and daily and evening entertainment and are right next door to the beach. The Occidental is AI but when I stayed at the Golden Soviva I only stayed on a HB basis, but found it very good. This hotel also has water slides and a lovely swimming pool. They are only about a 30 minute transfer away which is better for the children. Have only visited Hammamet and found there was alot of building work going on but there are lots of people on this forum who have been there and enjoyed it. :)
I presonally think PEK sounds fantastic and would look at going there for my next hols we stayed outside Tunis and had a great time there too.

I wasnt overkeen on Hamamet but thats because it was like home from home to me a seaside resort place.

There are loads of things to do in Tunisia and where ever you stay there are kids clubs which are fantastic.

I went in May and it was scorching then so I wouldnt fancy going in July with children
Although I usually stay in Sousse, I would agree PEK is possibly better with the kids. I stayed HB at the Soviva some years ago and found it very good, despite the horror reports I heard before I went. The pool was absolutely fantastic. My only reservation is that it was rather a long way from the Marina.
Hi,

For me personally I much prefer Hammamet to PEK. I feel it has more character, even if it is a busy resort town. But I don't have children so obviously don't have the same needs from a resort. Yasmine Hammamet is very new (when I first went to Tunisia in 2001 it barely existed - just a couple of hotels and a huge building site!) and is purpose built for tourists. There is lots to do in the Hammamet area and is well located for excursions. Though to be fair the same can be said for PEK.

If you fly to Tunis the transfer would be about an hour, but since the flights there go from Heathrow, so it would depend how convenient this would be for you at this end of the trip.

The hotels in Yasmine are generally grander as they are all comparatively new and one that would probably go down well with children is the Vincci Lella Beya, as it's built like a fairytale fortress/castle.

If you're looking for AI in Hammamet I would suggest giving Les Orangers a miss. My boyfriend used to work there (before it went AI) and said the guests said the rooms were small and the food wasn't great. A lot went to Cascades restaurant round the corner for their dinner. Basically - it's ok but for the money you can do better.

Hope this is of some help. Any other ideas of what you might want to do on your hols let us know...

A.
Just to add, flights also go from Gatwick to Tunis (BA), whilst Heathrow is Tunisair I think.
:whoops

Thanks Aslemma! Good point. Really not sure how I forgot that since I once dragged myself out of bed at 3am to get to Gatwick for the BA flight!

A.
Tell me about it. :twisted: It really is a nightmare with an 8.15 flight. I got picked up at 2.30 a.m. last time so it wasn't worth going to bed first - I'll try to fly from Stansted to Monastir next time. :roll:
Thanks a million to everyone for info regarding Tunisia was much appreciated cheers.Haddy.
You're very welcome. Everyone here wants you to have a fabulous time. :)
Hi everyone, I am planning on taking the boys to PEK- poss staying at Golden soviva or club soviva, for 3wks HB. I have read the horrid reports but the good ones far out weigh the bad, and it seems ideal for our second visit to Tunisia-lots more to do there for the boys (9 & 14). Can anyone tell me the tour operators that deal with this hotel complex, I have found it (very cheap?mm is there something someone is not telling!) with medhotels and will link up a flight-16th Aug-6th Sept, however, would prefare to book as a package with a company cos I heard on a new holiday show that if you pick and mix your own holiday you are not fully covered. We are flighing form Manchester. Also, just for assurance is the standard of the hotels soviva good or am I in for a surprise? Any more advice on a cheap 3wk HB PEK would be good.
Single mum, full of fun!! :D
I can't remember who I went to the Soviva with but I would seriously consider looking at booking independently. I know we have all been warned about the risks, but neither the hotel or airline are likely to go under and if you pay with a credit card you will be covered. I have used Med Hotels and also Alpharooms in the past and they have been fine. It can also be worth looking into booking direct with the hotel by e-mail. I did this on my last holiday to Tunisia and it was over £100 cheaper than going through Alpharooms and that was as a single traveller. Check package prices though, as they do sometimes work out cheaper as the cost of flights can be quite high.
Thanks Asleema, will keep looking.
Lisa.
great reading up on Tunisia, I am due to go next month to PEK with my husband, have taken note of the heat, expecting it to be up to 100 F! My sister in law went to PEK a couple of weeks ago, said she had not experienced heat like it!! She said she was pestered a bit in the town, near the marina, but on the whole a fab holiday.

Has anyone been to the Royal Kenz Hotel, its a 4 star (was advised by my travel agent to only go to a 4 star or above in Tunisia as the gradings can be a bit lower than in England) outside the town, havent really heard much about it but it looks lovely. It used to be a Thomson Gold property but is now owned by Iberostar.

Ta Sharrie :lol:
Excellent choice of hotel. I've stayed here 3 times now and could not fault it. If you look further down the Tunisia forum page you will come across a topic all about the Royal Kenz P.E.K. Instead of me repeating it just take a look and read the comments. But i,m sure you will love it there, they cannot do enough for you. :D We went when it was a Thompson Gold hotel all allocated on arrival aswell and ended up there each time, which was great. You are indeed going in one of the hottest months of the year, but just take plenty of high factor suncreams and drink plenty of bottled water. You do get pestered abit at first but a firm no thankyou and keep walking usually does the trick, unless you really are interested in buying something. Just go with an open mind and i,m sure you will enjoy every minute of it :wink:
Holiday Truths Forum

Post a Reply

Please sign in or register an account to reply to this post.

Sign in / Register

Holiday Truths Forum Ship image

Get the best deals!

from our cruise, ski and holiday partners

You can change your email preferences at any time.

Yes, I want to save money by receiving personalised travel emails with awesome deals from Holiday Truths group companies which are hotholidays.co.uk,getrcuising.co.uk and getskiing.co.uk. By subscribing I agree to the Privacy Policy

No, thank you.