Tunisia Discussion Forum

Discussions regarding holidays in Tunisia.
Hi Amnesia, It's hard to be specific as your question is rather like "how long is a piece of string?" Eating out is cheap and restaurants/cafes have price lists outside so you don't get nasty surprises - a beer is about 2 - 3 dinars and a bottle of wine anything from 10 dinars unwards in the hotel and much cheaper in the supermarkets. Public transport is very cheap and taxis are 'negotiable' (either insist they put the meter on or haggle like we regulars do). Some shops, such as the Soula Centre in Sousse, are fixed price but in most other places, and certainly in the medina, haggling is the name of the game and they enter into it with enthusiasm, so always start off at about a quarter of their price and work from there. You can walk away at any time and they will call you back if they are prepared to accept your offer. Don't book any trips with your rep at the first meeting until you have had a look round, though if you are offered a free trip by the rep it may be worth taking to help you get your bearings. Don't accept 'free' trips from anyone else unless you are prepared to spend a considerable time in a carpet shop being given the hard sell :rofl Incidentally, 'gahli barcha' means 'too expensive' and 'ma andee floos' means 'I have no money' - both useful phrases ;-)
Are traveller cheques or cash best to change in tunisia? obviously cheques are safer i know but does it make a difference
It's simply a matter of choice. The exchange rate is set by the government and is the same everywhere in Tunisia. As you say, travellers cheques are safer but I haven't used them for years and get by with cash and the ATMs which are everywhere.
Aslemma, how would I pronounce 'gahli barcha' and 'ma andee floos'? I'm a Geordie from Newcastle so a lot of English words we say get confused my a lot of the British, so there's probably no chance of my pronouncing those words right. If I was going to, I'd say 'Gar-lee Bar-Kah' and 'Mah-Andy-Floows'
:que
This really made me laugh as I've had problems with the Geordie accent with my son's ex in-laws so I'm trying to get the picture :rofl . Anyway, I've written the words phonetically (at least for us southerners). Don't try to put an 'r' in gahli, just 'ah' and the 'ch' in barcha like in chair, or even like an 'sh', both are OK. Floos (money) is like flu (the illness) with an added 's'. I'm sure you'll get on just fine and the locals will be impressed, though they would be even more happy for you to use the Arabic for "Yes (naam), that's an excellent (momtaz) price and I'll have a dozen" :rofl
Hi, does anyone know if there is an ATM near the Sahara Beach Hotel??
Hi mackem67, i would be most surprised if there wasn't an ATM in the hotel. Usually is.
Although the exchange rate is still, I believe, set by the government, on my recent trip I found quite a discrepancy in that given by the hotel and what the banks were giving. This may, of course, have simply been my hotel, but I certainly got appreciably more in the banks and would advise anyone visiting in the near future to change money at a bank if at all possible. Some banks can be difficult and insist you use their ATM machines but it is certainly worth bearing this in mind as there are plenty of banks around.
As of Tuesday 24th April your pound would buy 2.53 TD. Rates increased slightly over the last week.
Hi everyone, I go to Tunisia on Wednesday 3rd October 2012 for my honeymoon, i've never been abroad before so am still pretty new with foreign currency / travellers cheques etc and things. I went to try and exchange money today and was told I couldn't and after reading the posts on here am I right in thinking that I take only my GBP with me and change the money to TD when I get to Tunisia? I would be grateful for any help also any other advise about best laces to go etc.
Many Thanks :)
Yes, you can change sterling in Tunisia, either at the hotel or at a bank. The exchange rate is supposed to be set by the government so in theory it will be the same anywhere, though I've sometimes found I get a better rate at the bank. Also, in theory at least, the banks are supposed to see your passport though not all of them bother, however it is best to have it with you. ATMs are also plentiful throughout Tunisia and most have instructions in both English and French.

If you give us a little more information as to where you are staying and for how long I'm sure we can give you some ideas of where to go and what to see. Temperatures at present are around 30deg.

I'm sure you'll have a great time.
We are going to PEK: Iberostar Diar El Andalous staying for a week
Right. As you are only there for a week and will want to relax as well as explore I will give you a few suggestions. I did in fact write you a nice long comprehensive reply but the blooming thing disappeared just as I was about to press ‘send’ and as I am probably going into hospital tomorrow for an operation on my arm I am trying again in ‘word’ so hopefully I won’t lose it.

Practicalities first. Electricity takes the continental 2-pin plugs with a small hole so remember to take an adaptor. Do not, under any circumstances, use your mobile except for a short text to say you’ve arrived. Remember even phoning your husband’s mobile when he is a few yards away the call will go via the UK and be charged accordingly. Neither should you use the hotel phones as the mark-up is horrendous. Public phones called Taxi-phones, are plentiful throughout Tunisia and are very cheap and there is usually someone on site to help with any problems.

PEK is a lovely place to sit in a café and people-watch, especially in the Marina with boats from various parts of Europe, some of which over-winter there. The other side away from the Marina is a musical fountain which is particularly pretty when lit up at night. Most cafes have their price lists outside so you shouldn’t get too many nasty surprises.

You will notice a big arch at the entry to the Marina and in that area you will find banks with ATMs and a chemist where they speak excellent English.

You need to go into Sousse to visit the Medina and get a real Tunisian experience. Visit the Soula Centre in Sousse first to get an idea of prices. In the medina the name of the game is haggling. “La, ghali barcha” means ”No, too expensive”. This also applies to taxi fares. Either agree a price first (rarely what he originally tells you) or insist he puts the meter on.

Whilst in the medina try and have a look round Dar Essid, an old merchant’s house now a museum and well worth the approx £2 entry. Follow the inside of the outer wall going up hill and you will find it on the left.

Trains, metro and buses also go from Sousse and are cheap as chips so you can explore at your own pace without the help of the rep. It is worth visiting Monastir to see the mausoleum of a Habib Bourgiba, a previous president, which is covered in gold leaf and very spectacular. Monastir also has a medina and an attractive port.

If the weather is nice and you fancy a trip on one of the pirate ships which go from both PEK or Sousse book direct from the lads at the port rather than through your hotel. The trip is exactly the same but considerably cheaper.

Hope this has given you a few ideas but there are quite a few of us Tunisian regulars on here so I’m sure someone else will be around with other suggestions and to answer any queries if I’m not around for a few days.
Thanks for your help and suggestions, hope you are on the mend soon :)
Have a great holiday Gemma. I'm due back in Sousse on 5th November but my operation has now been put off until next Friday so I'm keeping my fingers crossed. My arm was in plaster when I was there in March and it still hasn't mended, :roll:
Sorry to hear about your arm, Aslemma - hope it gets better soon. :cheers
Thanks both of you. It has been 7 months since I broke it so I'm thoroughly fed up with it by now. I was in plaster when I was in Sousse earlier in the year so came back with one brown arm and one white one. I was hoping for better luck this time but it's obviously going to be a case of 'same again', though this time I'll no doubt set off all the alarms at the airport. :roll:
Hi I'm going to Skanes All. Incl in Oct for 7 nights with my 13 year old son. The hotel has waterslides, activities etc. How much spending money is advisable? I will be buying cigs & souvenirs. Thank you
Regarding cigarettes, I smoke Superkings in the UK but Royales in Tunisia and the price has shot up over the past few years, they were sometimes around 4 dinar last April (£1,48 at today's exchange rate :roll: ). As for souvenirs, this depends on how many and what you want to spend as they come in all prices. As you'll be in Skanes I think you'll really be better to go into Sousse to have a look round the Medina. and have a good haggle, first looking round the Soula Centre in Sousse (a fixed price shop) to get an idea of prices. Ladies are much easier to cater for and I usually get pashminas (never paid more than 10 dinar) or glass perfume bottles (anything from about 2 dinar upwards). Spices are also a good souvenir.

I'll be back in Sousse at the beginning of May so can give you an update on prices when I get back but the exchange rate is very good now - 1 dinar = 37p so £5 = 13.31 dinar (Oanda Cheat Sheet). Any further questions dion't hesitate to ask.
Holiday Truths Forum

Post a Reply

Please sign in or register an account to reply to this post.

Sign in / Register

Holiday Truths Forum Ship image

Get the best deals!

from our cruise, ski and holiday partners

You can change your email preferences at any time.

Yes, I want to save money by receiving personalised travel emails with awesome deals from Holiday Truths group companies which are hotholidays.co.uk,getrcuising.co.uk and getskiing.co.uk. By subscribing I agree to the Privacy Policy

No, thank you.