Tunisia Discussion Forum

Discussions regarding holidays in Tunisia.
Tunisian People
9 Posts
Not very friendly to tourists?

3 years ago to the very day my husband was taken seriously ill and I do not know how I would have coped without the help and support of the Tunisian people from all walks of life. They were wonderful.

The staff in the clinic literally saved his life and the hotel staff saved my sanity, we will be forever in their debt.

Patka
Tunisia was one of the nicest and friendlist places I have ever visited. We found the locals lovely people :)
Here follows an extract from my trip report soon to be published on my website, http://www.4x4-travel.co.uk:

I was in Tunisia, driving on my own, my family were some 120km away at an oasis in the Sahara desert.
I stopped in Douz at the little vegetable shop. A girl was serving, I asked if she spoke English, she didn't but she knew someone who did. My little friend from days before appeared and asked what I wanted. I replied "Nothing, I just came to say Hello". Her face beamed with a big smile. All her remaining family huddled behind her smiling and nudging each other. She was really pleased to think that someone had called just to speak some English with her. She asked if this would be my last visit to the shop for this trip to which I replied it would, we chatted a little more and I said goodbye.
That was a fantastic few minutes, it is what travelling is all about for me, meeting people.
I drove on to the filling station from days before and filled up the car the two guys recognised me and wished me "Bon Voyage". As I left Douz on the Matmata road I felt fulfilled, I felt wonderful.

That is the Tunisian people,
Kevin
although they are lovely people - you will be hassled every time you go past a shop/bar/restaurant to go in. And if you are an attractive blond, it can be worse..............having said that, you get used to it very quickly.
ok, thanks for all that, cleared things all up. I suppose you get hassled when you walk past shop/bars/resturants where ever you go on holidays.

Thanks All.
If you are hassled to go into anywhere it is only because they are desperate for your custom. and they'll do you no harm. It is quite easy to smile and say 'no thanks, not today' or 'perhaps later'.
Yes Tunisians tend to hassle tourists but they are only earning a living and a simply NO does the trick in most cases! Plus its fun to haggle!

Overall we are a friendly bunch! With some bad ones as well! :evil:
Would tend to agree with that last statement, overall friendly, but some bad ones also.

My genuine friends tend not to be those that work in tourism, not to say that they are all bad in tourism.
Holiday Truths Forum

Post a Reply

Please sign in or register an account to reply to this post.

Sign in / Register

Holiday Truths Forum Ship image

Get the best deals!

from our cruise, ski and holiday partners

You can change your email preferences at any time.

Yes, I want to save money by receiving personalised travel emails with awesome deals from Holiday Truths group companies which are hotholidays.co.uk,getrcuising.co.uk and getskiing.co.uk. By subscribing I agree to the Privacy Policy

No, thank you.