Tunisia Discussion Forum

Discussions regarding holidays in Tunisia.
The tourist tax will be paid at the actual hotel though it is unclear what will happen if one is staying in an apartment, especially if it is privately owned. Incidentally the 'exit tax' mentioned in the above article will not apply to tourists, who will continue to be covered up to 3 months by the little form they fill in on arrival. Only those who actually live in Tunisia will get stung when they try to leave.
I'm going to Tunisia a week on Wednesday and have just picked up my tickets from Thomson's, now they haven't mentioned anything about us having to pay a tax to the hotel when we get there, there are 3 of us traveling. Is this Tax a per person thing and if so does that mean we need to have 84 Dinars ready for when we check in. :think

Any help would be grateful.
I've only just seen your query as I've been away from home for a couple of days. This tax has only just come in this month and is payable to the hotel on arrival. It is apparently 2 dinar per person a night with children under 12 being exempt. I am sure that there won't be a problem if you don't have the cash available when you get there and some hotels may let you pay by credit or debit card, though this will obviously be up to the hotel. I find it appalling that Thomsons and other TO's do not pass this very important information on to their clients and it may be worth just checking that they haven't actually included it in the money you have paid them.
This was raised on the TC forum. TC staff confirmed that TC guests will not be charged, so presume TC will be paying for it (on existing bookings anyway).
Julie however has booked with Thomsons so she would be well advised to check. From past experience I haven't got a lot of faith that some of the main TO have a clue about what's going on in the places to which they send their customers. :roll:
Just to update been in resort since 16th and no mention in this, and rep has no knowledge either.
Do please let us know whether you get charged at the end of your holiday. The situation is clearly ridiculous. The charge has apparently come in, some companies are warnng their clients, TC may be paying it on their behalf and your rep knows nothing about it. :roll: The latter does not really surprise me as I remember a year when holiday makers almost missed their flights home as the reps had not realised that Tunisia had put their clocks back. Luckilly I was travelling independently and had local knowledge.
I enquired about this in thomsons whilst paying the balance off my deposit for next years holiday. The TA had never head of this tourist tax and was herself of to Tunisia soon. Doesn't feel you with hope really .
Oh well I will just have to see when I get tere.
I mentioned that this tax was going to be implemented several weeks ago and the info then was that the tourists would have to pay on departure. However since then I know that the German guests who have booked to go to Tunisia have been told by their Travel agents that it is included in their bookings. Whether this is applicable here is another matter entirely. Med Hotels and the like warn their clients that they will have to pay on departure, but that is for the independent travellers. Who actually knows the real situation is another matter altogether. As Glasgowkiss says - just be prepared to have the cash just in case ------- I am certainly not going to be happy having to pay the cash for 2 of us on a 6 month stay!!!!! :-O !
We Left the Hotel Late Wednesday night and nothing had to be paid. Having been to the Hotel a few times in the past the Manager shrugged and just asked for his key. :rofl
Just returned from 3 weeks in Skanes. the tourist tax is not in force.This as confirmed by both the hotel and a Thomas Cook Representative.
Hi Dorra, Thanks for that information. Hope you are keeping well. Perhaps we can meet up again in Sousse next year.
Thats good to hear Dorra,we go out there in 3 weeks time and thomsons have mentioned nothing to us about a tourist tax to be paid. :)
We didn't pay tourist tax, nobody have been asking for.
Holiday Truths Forum

Post a Reply

Please sign in or register an account to reply to this post.

Sign in / Register

Holiday Truths Forum Ship image

Get the best deals!

from our cruise, ski and holiday partners

You can change your email preferences at any time.

Yes, I want to save money by receiving personalised travel emails with awesome deals from Holiday Truths group companies which are hotholidays.co.uk,getrcuising.co.uk and getskiing.co.uk. By subscribing I agree to the Privacy Policy

No, thank you.