Turkey Discussion Forum

Discussions regarding holidays in Turkey.
Turkey virgin
17 Posts
Reply
Hi Tel,

End of August will be hot but I don't think there will be much difference in temperature between the Aegean and Med coasts, it may be a couple of degrees hotter in the Med though. It will likely be in the low to mid 30s, although it can get hotter than that on some days. Evenings will be very warm.

There are some nice resorts on the Bodrum Peninsual you could look at. Bitez is a lovely resort, not too busy but not so quiet. There is some good accomodation there, plenty of restaurants, a few bars and a nice beach. It is also just 5 minutes away by car from the lively resort of Gumbet so you could go there for a day of an evening out. It is also just 15 minutes away from Bodrum, so a great position.

There is a waterpark about 15 minutes away and you can do some good trips too, like a boat trip, jeep safari etc.

If you want to know any more about the are just let me know as I have been going there for years and I lived out there for a few years :)
Reply
Kedi Yavrusu wrote:
Hi Tel,

End of August will be hot but I don't think there will be much difference in temperature between the Aegean and Med coasts, it may be a couple of degrees hotter in the Med though. It will likely be in the low to mid 30s, although it can get hotter than that on some days. Evenings will be very warm.

There are some nice resorts on the Bodrum Peninsual you could look at. Bitez is a lovely resort, not too busy but not so quiet. There is some good accomodation there, plenty of restaurants, a few bars and a nice beach. It is also just 5 minutes away by car from the lively resort of Gumbet so you could go there for a day of an evening out. It is also just 15 minutes away from Bodrum, so a great position.

There is a waterpark about 15 minutes away and you can do some good trips too, like a boat trip, jeep safari etc.

If you want to know any more about the are just let me know as I have been going there for years and I lived out there for a few years :)


Thanks Kedi,I'm gonna have a look at these places.I've a feeling you'll be hearing from me again. :cheers

Cheers.
Reply
How expensive is Bodrum in general?What would you expect to pay for Lunches,dinner and drinks?Not looking for a 5 star restaurant,more like small family run places and steet cafes and bars.Also what about turkish baths?what to expect,and any recommendations.
Cheers.
Reply
I have always liked the Olu Deniz/Hisaronu/Ovacik combo.

We stay in Ovacik which is up in the mountains so is a little cooler and quiet at night. Hisaronu is 10 - 20 mins walk and has a multitude of restaurants, bars and clubs.

Olu Deniz beach/lagoon is the main resort, easily reached by very regular Dolmus' service.

Haven't been since early last year and have heard reports that prices are going up, but it is still reasonable compared to the Euro zone.

T.
Reply
Hi I would also highly recommend this area we have been 3 times and are going again in 4 weeks time.don't let the fact that it's in the mountain put you off, it's so easy to jump on a dolmus to either olu deniz or fethiye for a beach.ovaick is a quite resort but hissaronu has every thing you need we stay at the grenna complex renting private apartments.there is a water park close by.trips ars cheap in Turkey a boat trip all day with lunch can be as little as £7 if you shop around there is also an old deserted ghost town near by .hope this all helps .
Reply
Tramorak wrote:
I have always liked the Olu Deniz/Hisaronu/Ovacik combo.

We stay in Ovacik which is up in the mountains so is a little cooler and quiet at night. Hisaronu is 10 - 20 mins walk and has a multitude of restaurants, bars and clubs.

Olu Deniz beach/lagoon is the main resort, easily reached by very regular Dolmus' service.

Haven't been since early last year and have heard reports that prices are going up, but it is still reasonable compared to the Euro zone.

T.


Agree with this, I'm going in July for the 17th time in 6 years! Fantastic scenery, Lycian ruins, friendly locals. What's not to like!
Reply
Thanks for all the advice.Now onto something else.which resorts have the shortest transfer times from the airport?And whats Marmaris like?
Cheers
Tel
Reply
I've been to marmaris a few times but it is a huge resort and you could be there 2 weeks and never see some nice parts of it such as amutalan.which we only discovered on our 2nd visit.transfer is very long.ichmelor not far from from marnaris is a much smaller resort but still hasn't got the same atmosphere of the ovaick/hissaronu/ olu Deniz combination.it's about an hour from the airport with a private transfer
Reply
telbert wrote:
How expensive is Bodrum in general?What would you expect to pay for Lunches,dinner and drinks?Not looking for a 5 star restaurant,more like small family run places and steet cafes and bars.Also what about turkish baths?what to expect,and any recommendations.
Cheers.


Bodrum can be as cheap or expensive as you want. There are wonderful little local restaruants where you can eat tradtional food very cheaply and there are beautiful beach front restaurants for a more expensive meal.
Reply
telbert wrote:
Thanks for all the advice.Now onto something else.which resorts have the shortest transfer times from the airport?And whats Marmaris like?
Cheers
Tel


Marmaris is the biggest and busiest resort in Turkey, so loads of bars, restaurants, hotels etc.

The resorts on the Bodrum Peninsula are all less than an hour, with places like Gumbet and Bitez just 45 minutes away.
Reply
we've been going to marmaris for the last 9 years (since our daughter was 6) and we just love the place. it has so many bars and restaurants that you are really spoilt for choice. there are 2 waterparks there, plenty of boats for trips out, jeep safaris, close to icmeler for the market. i can't comment on anywhere else .... yet! am off to hisaronu in 4 weeks so have an insight to somewhere different then!
Reply
Right it looks like we're gonna be heading towards Marmaris,self catering for 10/11 days end of August.Id be grateful of some more info on the areas there and stuff like eating and drinking in the area,buying food,markets beaches etc. and anything else you think i might need to know.Also ive been looking on Ice Lolly and Travel Supermarket for some deals.Where else should i be looking?
Thanks in advance.
Reply
we normally stay quite close to the beach - have stayed at club kocer, club maric, maxwell and t&g. The armutulan area is just as nice - my mum & dad have stayed at sundream twice and loved it. most of marmaris is accessible because of good dolmus service and taxis so you're never too far away from anything

try having a look at sunmaster, travel republic, co-operative travel, holiday hypermarket, on the beach or even teletext holidays. i find sunmaster to be one of the cheapest (i'm always browsing holidays lol!)

or alternatively, use skyscanner.net to check out the cheapest flight options and book accommodation separately. we've used hotels4u.com and travel republic for booking accommodation or for a comparison look at trivago.com

i don't really think there's any such thing as a cheapie these days but if you really shop around you can get the price down

good luck x
Reply
Hi Telbert.So you have decided on Marmaris.Check out the Armutalan area there are lots of self catering apartments around here and some of the best restaurants and bars.The largest supermarket here would be the Kipa,market day is Thursday although Icmeler market is the best on a Wednesday.Day trips are the cheapest in this resort probably because of the competition.Lazy day boat trips are excellent value,from £10 each for all inclusive,swim breaks and a stop in the village of Turunc for you to go ashore and shop etc,jeep safaris about £15 each including lunch,Dalyan and the mud baths for about £15 inc lunch.Book you trips at the travel kiosks all over the place,a whole lot cheaper than booking with tour operators and you are insured with them,dont believe what TC,thomsons etc tell you !.Dolmuses are cheap to travel around on,under a £1 each and every couple of minutes.Also consider Icmeler,a smaller resort just about 10 minutes on a dolmus from Marmaris,lots of nice bars and restaurants and in my opinion better self catering apartments,the old village is lovely and about 10 to 15 minutes walk from the beach,night life is excellent here also,especially on the canal near the beach.Do come back and let us know what places you are looking to stay at and maybe some of us can help on location etc. :)
Reply
Olu Deniz is great for entertainment (not til the early hours!), great for kids, great for food and there's a water park. Would definitely recommend :)
Reply
Right i'm back again with more questions.I need some info on a place called "infinity bar" in Marmaris.A friend said they had a great stay in marmaris a few years ago but not sure exactly where it was.The only thing they know is that its near this bar. Secondly any other info on these hotels/apartments would be greatly appreciated :London Blue,Hermes,Han Palace,Senaydin,Green Palm,Angel Inn,Golden Moon,Villamar,Sisters Apart and Banana Apartments.
Thanks :)
Reply

Post a Reply

Please sign in or register an account to reply to this post.

Sign in / Register

Share your travels

and help others make informed choices when booking their holidays!

Write a Review Write a Review