Flight Only / Airline and Airports

Discussions relating to flight only, airlines and airports.
Turkish Airlines
16 Posts
have you looked at thos cook.. direct flights ex man...
theresa-a,

As Wiz Says Thomas Cook Fly Direct To Dalaman As Do Thomson Airways Manchester, The Fares Are Also Often Cheaper

Gower
theresa-a,

Turkish Airlines are a reasonable airline but with them operating via their hub in Istanbul, it's a bit of a long way round when many airlines offer direct services to Dalaman from Manchester. There's Thomas Cook, Thomsonfly (Thomson Airways) as Gower and Brian have mentioned, but you've also got the following:

KTHY Kibris (Turkish-Cyprus Airline)
Monarch Airlines
Onur Air (Aegean Flights)

I'm sure one of the above will work out cheaper than TK and it'll only be a 4 hours journey rather than over 6 hours with the hassle of transferrring.

Darren
A big benefit of flying with Turkish airlines via Istanbul is that you could spend a few days in Istanbul at one end of your holiday. It's a wonderful place to visit.
Hi,
Many thanks for the advice. Have time of from work booked to go away for 2 weeks, but daughter taking A levels this year and wants to be back for the results (just incase she doesn't get the grades she needs for uni) so this was causing us a problem with getting flights around the dates we have. Have now got sorted and have managed to find some flying from Newcastle which is a lot nearer to us than Manchester, and are direct.
We flew with Turkish Airlines at Christmas to Dalaman via Istanbul. Despite a 2.5 hour gap in the connecting flights we missed the connection due to late incoming aircraft, queues at the visa desk, queues at passport control etc. etc. We were offered flights to Izmir, which was useless to us, or an overnight hotel in Istanbul. We eventually managed to get on a flight to Antalya with a 2.5 hour drive back up to Fethiye where we were staying. The return flight was ok :)

We have decided not to travel indirect to Turkey again as it was a hassle. Unfortunately we could only travel for 4 nights and charter flights usually offer 7 or 14 nights at that time of year so weren't a possibility for our dates. If you have the opportunity to travel direct to Turkey, I would take it. The scheduled services with Turkish seem to work out much more expensive. We paid £400 each for our two seats, yet could have travelled with Thomas Cook for 7 nights for £120 each :(
Can't see a thread for this airline, but have just flown return to Istanbul from Dublin and very impressed:
Good leg room, good meal(choice of main course) free drinks & friendly crew.
Would definitely fly with them again.
  • Edited by David 2009-11-09 23:27:32
    Merged with previous topic
I have booked flights to Istanbul from London Heathrow for December 2011. As it is more than 100 days away, the system would not let me reserve seats. Does anyone know if I will be able to phone the airline up withinthe 100 days (say 99 days) and reserve seats?

Thanks
In the past when we've booked online with Turkish Airlines we've been able to select seats at the time of booking but maybe they were within the 100 days. We have also previously gone into the reservation online and selected seats but I'm not sure this facility is available still. We last flew with them at Christmas and were only able to select seats 24 hours before the flight when the online check in opened, however you aren't able to check in online currently if flying with Turkish from Heathrow. I would give them a call if specific seat numbers are required.
Looking at flying Dublin / Istanbul / Mumbai with Turkish airlines.
Any info about these flights / aircrafts would be most welcome.
Thanks
Gail
GEC,

Depending on the specific flights and dates you're looking at, aircraft types are as follows (for example):

DUB-IST (TK1978): Boeing 737-800
IST-BOM (TK720): Airbus A330-300

Both are very modern aircraft with typical national carrier configurations. Further details are on Turkish Airlines website.

Darren
Thanks for that Darren, much appreciated.
We hope to fly in April.
Gail
Hi - Anybody have any experience of Turkish Airlines?

We are booked on TK1994 (Man to Ist) and then TK0720 (Ist to Bom) - we are flying 20th Feb and would have thought you could pre-select seats as we have down with other carriers in the past - I can't see this option on their website however and wondered is this option is actually available? (Soembody mentioned going through Luthansa's website but not sure how that would work!!)

I also believe the Config for TK1994 is 3-3 and for TK0720 its 2-4-2 but would be grateful if somebody could confirm (more so for 1994 as it may be even more paramount to book seats!!!)

Thanks in advance!!

Merged with existing topic. Dazbo HT Mod
kippaxian,

Turkish Airlines are an established scheduled carrier and are pretty good. TK1994 are operated by Boeing 737-900 in a 3-3 configuration. TK0720 an Airbus A330-300 in a 2-4-2 configuration in economy. You'll be able to select seats when you check-in online.

Darren
Holiday Truths Forum

Post a Reply

Please sign in or register an account to reply to this post.

Sign in / Register

Holiday Truths Forum Ship image

Get the best deals!

from our cruise, ski and holiday partners

You can change your email preferences at any time.

Yes, I want to save money by receiving personalised travel emails with awesome deals from Holiday Truths group companies which are hotholidays.co.uk,getrcuising.co.uk and getskiing.co.uk. By subscribing I agree to the Privacy Policy

No, thank you.