Holiday Complaints

Do you have a holiday complaint? For help and advice post in here.
I hate bedbugs, nasty, like many reading your post, I was scratching throughout reading it.

I'm sorry about your experience, and I know full well how horrible it can be.

There has unfortunately been a massive increase in Bedbug outbreaks since the turn of the century (because of more travel, less power pesticides being used) and it is not always indicative of a dirty hotel.
See: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Bed_bugs for some more background info.

Of course, they should be doing more to control the matter, but the presence of insect traps might show they are? I know of people that have experienced bed bugs in famous chains, and posh hotels. Also i'm not aware of bedbugs causing any lasting or detrimental health problems (correct me if I am wrong).

So, i'm not sure what you can do, and again, not sure how far you would get taking legal action. I would certainly post a review on Trip Advisor, as people will notice it. I would also contact Blackpool Environmental Health.

I am though, quite surprised about the advice given by Consumer Direct, as I doubt you will get a 100% refund of your holiday costs, or for 'injuries'. This strikes me as bad advice, though others may disagree.

Start with letters, outlining your complaints to the hotel, coach company, and environmental health. At the very least, the coach company should get an accommodation refund. Don't expect this to be very high, as I know some hotels charge as little as £10 per room per night for some coach companies (obviously depending on where / quality / group size and if they provide other services like dinner).
It's the Tour Operators duty to ensure you stay in a clean, healthy and safe environment. The presence of the insect trap would I assume, indicate that the hotel was aware of a problem.

The TO was at fault here twice a) they moved your hotel within days of departure therefore breaking their contract with you. B) You were then placed in a dirty hotel.

Which hotel was it and I'll add it to our review site if we don't have it listed as, IMO the public should be warned.

We have a travel law solicitor (Ros Fernihough) who helps our members, give her a call, she will offer you free advice on regarding your legal standing:-

The direct number to Ros's PA Pam is 01922 705134

Or try the switchboard number 01922 633214 and ask for Travel Dept.
Thanks for your replies. All very good advice and comments.
I have spoken with Pam, and due to the value of the holiday, the cost split of the hotel room/food and coach travel, then it isn't worth pursuing legally.
It is either a case of causing maximum embarrassment to the hotel through web review sites, or putting my complaint in writing to the coach company.

I apparently should have got better proof than the photos of my bites, bed bugs and insect trap. A letter from the hotel confirming the complaint would have been ideal - but I can't exactly see that have been forthcoming.

Anyway, will report if I get anywhere.

For information - the hotel is The Bedford Hotel, Blackpool.
I've added the hotel HERE if you'd like to leave your review just click on the link.

The hotel's web address is on the link so would you kindly double check it's the same hotel before writing your review.

Many thanks
Also leave a review on trip advisor and expedia for others to read.
Sorry, here is the link :

http://www.tripadvisor.com/Hotel_Review-g186332-d451023-Reviews-The_Bedford_Hotel-Blackpool_Lancashire_England.html

Seems management are keen to read every review due to the comments they leave on the site.
Latest news is that the owner of the coach company involved is compensating us with a free 5 day holiday at a different hotel. As most of the holidays we can chose from are over double the price of the one we took, I think this is very fair. It sounds like they are going to either pass the bill on, or claim from their public liability insurers, who will seek to recover the costs from The Bedford.
So maybe I have said enough for now.....
sounds like a great result to me :)
Great result :tup Please leave reviews though as you maybe able to stop some other holidaymaker going through what you went through.

Reading the managers response on TA they were aware of the bedbugs since at least Aug 27, 2007
Holiday Truths Forum

Post a Reply

Please sign in or register an account to reply to this post.

Sign in / Register

Holiday Truths Forum Ship image

Get the best deals!

from our cruise, ski and holiday partners

You can change your email preferences at any time.

Yes, I want to save money by receiving personalised travel emails with awesome deals from Holiday Truths group companies which are hotholidays.co.uk,getrcuising.co.uk and getskiing.co.uk. By subscribing I agree to the Privacy Policy

No, thank you.