Holiday Complaints

Do you have a holiday complaint? For help and advice post in here.
I'm slightly confused here as rooms are normally sold on a "per night" basis.

I fail to understand why the night of the 14th into the 15th was not included in your holiday package price :?

Mark :D
probably the old problems of night flights.. if you arrive before noon the previous day is counted as your first night,
eg i book 14 nights starting on the first but do not arrive till 8am on the second I am deemed to have taken possession of the room on the first, departure date will be noon on the 14th although my return flight may not be till 5 am on the 15th... thats one reason i don't take night flights, caught once never again

wizard
There will be a blurb in the back of the brochure saying something about nights in resort and something like it being an international thing to check out of your hotel at 12 noon. It is the same wherever you go.

For example if you arrive at your hotel at say 23.00, your room has been booked for you from midday of that day to allow you instant access when you get there. Likewise, the folks who are coming in after you want the same. They need to get the housekeeping in and get it ready also.

Most hotels will try to let you stay in your room or make another room available to you for a charge. They are entitled to do this as their commitment to you ends at midday of your last day. This charge is nothing to do with your TO, but a set amount decided at the discretion of your hotelier.

Here in Cyprus you would pay CY15.00 and upwards to keep your room on depending on the rating of the hotel, even if it is just for a few hours.

Look closely at your booking itinerary, not your flight details. You could be booked up to the 14th but your flight be in the early hours of the 15th in which case they were right to ask you to vacate.

If not, then write a stern letter to your holiday company.

Louise
Hi Busybadger,

Was this a package holiday? If so, the booking conditions and itinerary should give an indication of how many nights in the hotel you have paid for, and did you consult with your Rep?

so we requested to stay in our room or another within the Lunamar aparts but for some reason we were told that it would cost us £20 and that they weren't sure what room we would be allocated

So, had you paid the £20 there wouldn't have been a problem presumably, you would have had a room. But you refused to pay the £20 and what followed was inevitable.

Surely this can't be right luckily for us we had not paid the £20 and refused to pay it due to the short time we had the room made available to us.

What did you expect?

Peter
Which tour operator did you book with and from what airport as I'd like to look at the flight details.

I too don't understand:-

We were booked in until the 15th may 2007 but we had to vacate our room on the 14th by midday

Booked in is different to 'our last day in the apartment was the 14th but we didn't fly until the 15th'.
When my parents and I have requested to stay in our rooms for longer, if we had a night flight or early morning flight for example, we always ask the Reception Staff well in advance of our holiday, which I respect might be a different circumstane to the original poster, but we have had to pay for that room....I check out of my Single Room, and we are allocated either another Double Room, or we are allowed to stay on in my parents room.

We are charged, but it is only a few Euros if you book via the Hotel direct, but it can be quite a lot if you book via your Tour Operator. But in all cases, the extension time is usually from 12noon to 20:00hrs (8pm). We have neve been allowed to say in the room any longer than 8pm because it has to be cleaned and prepared for the next Guests that might be arriving anytime from 22:00hrs (10pm) that same evening, and the Room Maids have to be arranged to either stay on late past their shift finish times, ot they have to bring staff in.
If you are flying out early on the 15th then the 14th is the last day of your holiday unfortunately.

Most times we have done these late flights it has been the case. You are out of your apartment by noon the previous day. To be honest £20 would be a very cheap price to pay for a complete extra night in the complex.

Sometimes a courtesy room is available for guests to shower and change and is allocated to different families during the day if they want to go to the beach and have an "extra" day so to speak, but this isint always the case.

I really think that Wizard is right and its a case of the time of the flight and the having to check out the day before.

Its unfortunate, and they should have explained it better at the time, but I dont see that they have done anything wrong.

Glad you had a good holiday! :D
simple solution is to pay for an extra day.
:pele
BB. Either I have misunderstood your post or Peter of York has. The way I understand the post you were quite willing to pay £20 to stay in your room an extra night (whether this was not, according to other board members enough for an extra night is immaterial) but only refused to pay after being told to leave the room when you thought you had an agreement with the hotel to stay overnight. But the hotel failed to inform you that the room was only available until 8pm. and even with payment of the £20 they wouldn't have allowed you to stay in the room. I assume you would have paid the £20 on checking out the following morning.
As previously stated usually hotels only extend your stay the room until 6pm or 8pm .I f the hotel had empty rooms they may have allowed you to stay but then you would have to pay for a full day extra which would have cost considerably more.
It was an unfortunate experience, no one likes to have to hang around for hours which apparently happens a lot, but just put it down to experience.
Good job you enjoyed your holiday.
If we have requested to extend our room stay that cost has had to be paid in advance of the extension.

Patka
Rarely had to pay up front, but then I almost always go DIY and pay the bill when I leave.
We will see which interpretation of the circumstances is correct if and when Busybadger gets back to us.

I would expect to pay up front, and it reads to me as "didn't pay - didn't get", but I could be wrong.

It's not an unusual situation. With Balkan Holidays we've had occupancy of the room until leaving. In others it's been a case of having a word with Reception and maybe pay, or even get on well with the chambermaid and possibly not.

One way or another we've never had a problem.

Peter
usuallay we book a late checkout, if needed at time of booking.
We had a similar situation while holidaying in Gran Canaria several years ago. Our flight was the early hours of the morning but we had to check out of the room by midday the day before. We were fortunate that we had met another couple who were more than willing to allow us to use their room for showering and store our cases until we had to leave. A courtesy room was provided free of charge for half an hour and although we did book a slot, we gave it to a family that we had also met who had 6 kids to get ready for a early morning flight and the half hour slot just wasn't enough for them.

Its an unfortunate problem with night/early morning flights and something that we try to avoid at all costs and supplements.
:)
last year we arrived at our complex in ibiza about 10.30 in the morning. this was the friday,our flight home was friday fortnight at 8.00 in the morning but we weren't told to be out of our room on the thursday...we didn't leave until the coach picked us up for the airport.

this has got me panicking now as we have similar flights this year to majorca and with 2 small children i really hope we don't get put out the day before here..
from what you say you spent 14 nts in apartment FSSMTWTFSSMTWT left early fri morning so thats ok on a fortnights holiday. What is a problem is if your flight hadn't been till early sat am say 4am then you've had your 14 nts accom and would have checked out at 12pm friday lunch.
Could be worth checking your flights for this year and making sure you don't go into the next day.
In effect last year you checked out early.
bigbear
thanks bigbear, :D

I reckon we'll be the same this year then,cos arrive sat 9.35am and leave sat fortnight 10.35am.
Holiday Truths Forum

Post a Reply

Please sign in or register an account to reply to this post.

Sign in / Register

Holiday Truths Forum Ship image

Get the best deals!

from our cruise, ski and holiday partners

You can change your email preferences at any time.

Yes, I want to save money by receiving personalised travel emails with awesome deals from Holiday Truths group companies which are hotholidays.co.uk,getrcuising.co.uk and getskiing.co.uk. By subscribing I agree to the Privacy Policy

No, thank you.