Flight Only / Airline and Airports

Discussions relating to flight only, airlines and airports.
United airlines
81 Posts
Remember some people will complain about anything, some passengers views may not be anothers.

The majority of reviews i have seen are Postive:

http://www.carsurvey.org/air/airlineyear_United_2004.html
I've flown Chicago to San Jose or LAX many times.

United are very convenient i.e. use major airports, good connections, frequent schedules and good priced etc. They have always been ontime/early for me. So have no reason to complain.

The service doesn't have a grat deal of 'frills;' you have to pay for food and drinks and the food is very good, so worth the $5 for a meal. There's normally a new film shown too. I've flown of their 777's which have come in from Honolulu and had PTV's which is a bonus.
bare in mind that United is part of the same group as bmi, Star Alliance, it wouldnt be part of that if it was remotly bad.
Of all the carriers i have flown with, including United, Air Canada, Virgin, Singapore Airlines, Qantas plus a whole load more, United were one of the best, good IFE, meals are above average, i flew internationally and internally within the states on United and i cannot fault them. And as topjet said, some people will complaint about anything.

I say go for it, i found them good, im sure you will.
I've flown to Los Angeles with UA twice as well as several internal US flights and I really like them. For customer service they beat BA, and economy is reasonably comfortable. One thing I liked was that passengers were welcome to pop into the galley as many times as they liked for juice or snacks or whatever and the staff were really helpful. Also their frequent flyer programme is very generous and as they're part of the Star Alliance you can use your mileage on British Midland.

Bridd
i know ive racked up quite a lot of mileage on bmi i will have to treat myself one of these days
thanks for all the replies,we will give united the benefit of the doubt!
mark_26

Let us know what your experiences were when you return?
Given the extended time that United has been spending in Chapter 11 bankruptcy proceedings, one should also be a little wary about booking with them a long time in advance. Booking 2 months in advance should be OK (there'll be plenty of warning in the press if they are about to stop flying) - but booking 11 months in advance is not for those whoa re risk-averse. The same applies, but to a greater degree with US Airways
Hi

We travel to the US several times a year, and always fly united.

We have never had a problem, in fact, on a couple of occasions have been upgraded.

As for paying for meals, this is not quite correct, meals, drinks etc on international flights are free, it's their sister company "Ted" that charge for drinks and meals.

As for booking so far in advance, I wait for the flights to be loaded on the system usually 11 months in advance, and then book, with no hesitation.

As with most airlines these days, it's a very competitive market, and it would be really difficult to find a big difference in economy class between most schedule carriers.

I'm sure you will enjoy your trip.

Driver02
Driver,

I've never flown United internationally but I've flown United many times from Chicago to San Jose or LAX and in recent years they've started charging $5 for meals, which is fine because they were very nice.

They were cold meals, and was like a big lunchbox with a very fresh, tasty sandwich, crisps, cookies and fruit.

You get soft drinks & water in plentiful supply but alcohol you pay for.

Overall United (domestic) are perfectly adequate; great connections, frequencies and punctuality. You can't really go wrong with this; good service is an added bonus.
Hello mj_monrose

I have flown United both internationally, and domestic, and you are correct, on domestic flights with "Ted" you do pay for meals, when we have travelled with "Ted" we have always had to pay $5.00 for a cold inedible sandwich, but on international flights we have never been charged for meals.

If United are charging for meals on international flights, then I accept, this is something new.

Overall, we are always pleased with United.

Driver02
I flew from Indianapolis to Chicago with United last month and they were fantastic. I was flying back to UK from Chicago with a different airline but they handled my luggage for me as I had a long wait in Chicago.I was upgraded and though it was too short a flight for a meal the coffee (free) just kept coming.Will do the whole trip with them next time.
Hi - we will be flying with united airlines from LHR to san francisco - we normally fly with virgin but i was just wondering what the service, leg room etc is like as dont know anybody who has flown with them?
Hi :)
Probably a 772 (777-200) so 31" in economy and 34" in super economy, you can check here,

http://www.seatguru.com/

For user reviews have a look here,

http://www.carsurvey.org/air/airline_United.html

http://www.airlinequality.com/Forum/ual.htm

By the sounds of things try and avoid getting an "E" position seat!, they fly a 2-5-2 seat layout.
UA is my favourite airline for flying to the US. Never done LHR to San Francisco but done LHR to Los Angeles a couple of times in their 777's. Always go economy but have never felt cramped and the service, food etc is much better than BA IMHO.

Bridd
We fly UA all the time, under their mileage points system.

We have done SF, one thing to bear in mind, it's a long journey, take plenty to read.

Most of the points regarding UA have already been answered for you.

You will not have any problems with UA.

Enjoy your trip

Driver02
Hi,we flew from heathrow to jfk in march with united and had no problems,the plane itself was a 777 and was quite old,it had average seat pitch about 31" ,but the flight crew were superb really friendly and always available for drinks etc,inflight ent was good also 6 films and a few other channels and a good selection of audio,overall a good flight cheers Mark.
Holiday Truths Forum

Post a Reply

Please sign in or register an account to reply to this post.

Sign in / Register

Holiday Truths Forum Ship image

Get the best deals!

from our cruise, ski and holiday partners

You can change your email preferences at any time.

Yes, I want to save money by receiving personalised travel emails with awesome deals from Holiday Truths group companies which are hotholidays.co.uk,getrcuising.co.uk and getskiing.co.uk. By subscribing I agree to the Privacy Policy

No, thank you.