Flight Only / Airline and Airports

Discussions relating to flight only, airlines and airports.
US Airways
61 Posts
We have flown US Air on four trips, most of the aircraft used on the transAtlantic routes are the newer Airbus A330. We have never seen a dirty one, there is plenty of entertainment with the seat back screens to help pass the time. The cabin crew are all american and may seem rude at times but actually are very helpful, the supposed rude bit is just the local attitude in the Philly area. You wiil find a similar attitude when doing immigration at Philly but it is just their way, when you get used to it you are less offended. Remember if you want to travel, words and actions are not the same everywhere. We have not had any problems with late flights bar for some minor delays. Some area's of Philly airport are a bit old and worn but again we have never found it dirty. There is an excellent food court on the joining corridor between the international arrival terminal and the main domestic terminals. I would have no worries about flying with them again. We have used American Airlines, Delta, British Airways in the past and although each one has a slight better or worse bit US Airways are on a par with these others.
Hope this helps reassure you.
Have Fun across the pond
Mike
have also flown to vegas,with us airways.the planes were fine & i never found the staff,to be rude.the flight home was delayed,but that happens to us,more times than not,to be honest!
also flew to new orleans with them,& toured abit of america.we had a total of 6 flights with them,on that holiday, & every one of them was on time.
the only thing we did find,is that the connection in philadelphia,for vegas,was very tight.we only just managed to catch it,they were all seated & ready to go.someone had even moved into our seats,because they thought they were empty.they just made us sit,at the front,because they were literally closing the doors behind us.
i'm just glad we knew where, we had to go etc,because we had used the airport previously,otherwise,we would never have made it.
we flew with them,in oct,nov & dec & they never changed the films,which,upon enquiring,was told ( well you can watch shrek,over & over again,it's that type of film ) not the answer i expected.
i'd certainly fly with them again,i'm happy as long,as i get there!
tracy
Been to Orlando 3 times with US Airways. Planes clean, staff brilliant and entertainment out of this world. The long flight passes in no time.
I was impressed with US Airways when I flew them about 18 months ago. We flew Manchester-Las Vegas, Vegas - LA and then San Francisco back to Manchester.

Their in flight entertainment was excellent, own seatback t.v. on demand video (stop, start when you like). You pay for alcoholic drinks, around $5 per drink but soft drinks are free.

But the best thing for me, and the reason I selected them in the first place was the seat pitch - a whopping 33/34" legroom, which is far superior to BA/Virgin/Delta, even AA have started reducing their extra legroom policy by adding back seats to their aircraft.

Of course it does depend on the aircraft they'll be using for your route, but they can change the aircraft at any time.

:D
I am going to Las Vegas from Glasgow via Philidelphia, flying with US Airways.

On the flight home our flight from Vegas is due to land at Philidelphia at 18.47. Our flight from Philidelphia to Glasgow departs at 20.25. This only gives us 1 hour 38 minutes to get off one plane and board the other. Has anyone done this before? Is it possible?

What would happen if the flight from Vegas was delayed and we didn't land on time? Would the flight company have to arrange (and pay) for us to get on another flight?

Also I take it my luggage will go straight through?

Any info would be appreciated
Firstly, don't worry :) You would not have been booked on these flights if you did not meet the Minimum Connection Time. You should be given your Boarding Pases for both sectors when you check in at LAS, and your luggage will be through checked to GLA. At Philly all you need to do is make your way from the arrival to the departure gate and around 100 minutes should be plenty of time.....I've connected at Boston and Dulles with shorter connection times in the past.

If you miss the connection US will put you on the next GLA flight or re-route you if this is better.

Have a great time :)
I am flying to Las Vegas with US Airways later this month. To pass the time on the flight my husband is taking a playstation portable with him.

Does anyone know if you can charge the psp on your flight?

As far as I am aware the charge lasts for between 5/10 hours. We have connecting flights so we will be in the air a lot longer.
myvot,

Does anyone know if you can charge the psp on your flight?

Some of their aircraft are fitted with laptop power ports, not all of them. If it is fitted, its a 15v power supply but I'm not sure what the socket is like or what adapters you'll need. They just state "an adapter is necessary to take advantage of the in-seat power. These adapters can be found at most major electronics stores and will vary based on the specific requirements of each laptop". It might be easier to take a spare battery.

You can contact US Airways here

Darren
I am going to be flying US Airways in a few weeks from Manchester to Philidpelphia on my way to Kentucky. Has anyone here flown US Airways before and what am I to expect?
Hi,
Have a look at http://www.airlinequality.com which will give you the latest reviews from passengers who have used US Airways recently. Hope they're good ones. :D
paulines_pens,

I've never flown with them personally, but there's plenty of comments on Car Survey.org. They use Airbus A330-323X's on their US197 MAN-PHL service. For more information, have a look at their website.

Have a great flight,

Darren
love the photo of the plane taken at Manchester Airport.

I got an eight hour wait at philadelphia as well.
love the photo of the plane taken at Manchester Airport

I try my best :)
Darren
Has anyone any experience flying with US Airways from Manchester to Orlando stopping in Philadelphia en route? Looking to go next April me wife 12 year old and 9 year old. Any comments welcome. 8)
pudsey,

Given the number of airlines that fly direct from MAN to SFB / MCO, why go via Philladephia with US? I've no experience with them personally, but there flights are normally punctual. There's plenty of opinions on US in previous posts.

Darren
US Airways are my 1st choice for the following reasons,

1. Allocation of bulkhead seating on a medical basis, done this on 5 trips, no other airline I've contacted will guarantee this.

2. Aircraft type, I choose flights with the A330 as it's a lot better than thir 767 which also does the Man-Phl run. Inflight entertainment is excellent, seat width is not too bad and soft drinks are given freely with full size cans, with Virgin we had to almost beg to get the children a second drink and they were the tiny 150ml cans :(
3. Professional attitude, had 2 minor problems with them in 6 years, air traffic ar Phl went out so they put us on a Virgin flight direct to Gatwick, even managed to get bulkhead seating (mind you there were only about 30/40 passengers in economy on the flight!).

4. Price!, shopping around and checking for the frequent flight sales on places like Airline Network can usually get flights for around £250 or even cheaper :)
Amazingly, according to reports everyone has got out alive :)

Tremendous flying from the pilot if this is the case, both engines trashed by bird strikes and the pilot still manages to lessen the impact!!
  • Edited by KeefG 2009-01-17 20:11:50
Can I just ask that until official investigation reports are available, we don't speculate as to the cause of the incident. While it is likely a double bird strike resulted in loss of power, this is not official and only the NTSB can make this judgement. There's always a mela of speculation when events like this occur with lots of unknowns and frankely, total rubbish flying around in the media and aviation community.

This really was a remarkable turn of events though and congratulation to the crew (I include the often forgotten cabin crew in this who co-ordinated the evacuation) on a successful conclusion. This is the first successful ditching of a commercial airliner in water so great job to all concerned.

Darren
Holiday Truths Forum

Post a Reply

Please sign in or register an account to reply to this post.

Sign in / Register

Holiday Truths Forum Ship image

Get the best deals!

from our cruise, ski and holiday partners

You can change your email preferences at any time.

Yes, I want to save money by receiving personalised travel emails with awesome deals from Holiday Truths group companies which are hotholidays.co.uk,getrcuising.co.uk and getskiing.co.uk. By subscribing I agree to the Privacy Policy

No, thank you.