Goa Discussion Forum

Discussions regarding holidays in Goa.
Many thanks Silentman. Look forward to hearing how you get on. :tup
silentman wrote:
roma wrote:
Silentman - I have bought a Huawei mi-fi with the intention of using it with my Ipad in Goa. I've tested it over here in the UK and am very impressed. Great little gadget.

Which Indian sim is best to buy to use in it?

roma

I am in Goa at the moment got hold of an airtel sim card, it was available to use straight away they had one already registered, I got a data plan but its only 2G works ok with Ipad using my smartphone but is very slow.

Unfortunately it wont work in my Huawei mi-fi which am told needs 3G will be getting an Idea sim in 3-4 days
as needs to be registered am told Idea coverage is good where I am in the south will let you know how it works out,

Have now got 3G Idea sim works great with Ipad and laptop cost 250rs for 1GB plus 150 for the sim

The Huawei mi-fi should work with 2G but not in but mine! It appears where I am Airtel was very good last year but they kindly removed their mast so now rubbish!

Don't know how good the Idea sim is in the rest of Goa best to ask around, but definitely go for 3G not all networks do
Thanks very much for the information, Silentman.

I seem to remember a mast going down last year when the dongle I was using suddenly slowed to a snail's pace.

Will ask around when I get there to see which 3G works best.
I have an indian dongle got it in Feb this year but have to say I did not think much of it ..we used the shack free wi/ fi/ found it to be better .
.However I will take it back with me in the new year and see how we get on I was told it can work better in diff places so who knows our apartment might pick it up better this year as we are going to a diff place ....

silentman If I take my galaxy with me do you mean I can put a sim card into it .....
colleen

Galaxy tablets come in two types Wi-Fi only, and Wi-Fi plus 3G which takes a sim card so depends which type you have
The one I have is a Samsung Galaxy Tab 3 its not one of the newer ones but it does what I need ..
Ok after all the info from you all, I hope I have made the right decision here! I have bought a mini Ipad that takes a sim card so I assume I can just buy a sim card over there now . Cost a fair bit more but the trouble of the dongle etc etc , I thought this sounded like a better option. :)
Am currently in Goa and bought a 3G Vodaphone sim that is working well. My only problem was the Huawei mi-fi device that I thought was unlocked, wasn't!

As usual in Goa, there's a man that can fix it so it's all working fine, albeit with an extra cost.
roma wrote:
Am currently in Goa and bought a 3G Vodaphone sim that is working well. My only problem was the Huawei mi-fi device that I thought was unlocked, wasn't!

As usual in Goa, there's a man that can fix it so it's all working fine, albeit with an extra cost.

With the Huawei mi-fi you may need to alter the connection profile to enable a different sim card, if anyone needs this info let me know which sim card you are using and will let you have the info
when I was in India on my holidays, I bought a local sim card and used it for my Internet related issues. There are a few service providers that offer good connectivity.
Holiday Truths Forum

Post a Reply

Please sign in or register an account to reply to this post.

Sign in / Register

Holiday Truths Forum Ship image

Get the best deals!

from our cruise, ski and holiday partners

You can change your email preferences at any time.

Yes, I want to save money by receiving personalised travel emails with awesome deals from Holiday Truths group companies which are hotholidays.co.uk,getrcuising.co.uk and getskiing.co.uk. By subscribing I agree to the Privacy Policy

No, thank you.