Tunisia Discussion Forum

Discussions regarding holidays in Tunisia.
Hi we got hepatitis ,and typhoid.if you go to your doctor's like we did he will advice you.

hellooooo from the northeast.
:( oh my goodness!!!
didnt know you had to have all those injections better phone doc up, thanks for the advice :)
as Briarskeg said there not compulsory.just pop along to your docs ,and get some advice ,and then decide what you want to do.

hello from the northeast
Hi, I have been to Tunisia many times and have never had any vaccinations of any kind. I have never had any problem out there with either illness or upse stomachs but it is a matter of personal preference as to whether you get the jabs or not really.
:D thanks everyone will phone doc up next week and organize jabs :cry:
glad polio is on a sugar lump wish they all where!
I'm going to PEK next week and had been told by everyone that i wouldnt need them. However, recently been told that you do. Does anyone know the situation at all? Thanks in advance!
Hep A and typhoid are recomended by the dept of health for travel to Tunisia although not compulsory
The standard advice for Tunisia is to make sure that you are up to date with boosters etc for Hep A, Polio, Diptheria and Tetanus. I'm not sure who 'everyone' is and I think you are best advised to always consult with your GP practice about these things especially as they can usually arrange for you to have all the above free of charge.

Even if you never set foot out of the UK it is advisable to make sure that you have up to date cover for all the above as the only reason why we have virtualy eradicated polio, for example, in this country is the system of mass vaccination of children but contrary to popular assumptions this should be 'topped up' around every 10 years throughout adulthood as the childhood vaccination programme doesn't provide lifetime protection.

SM
OMG! I go on Wednesday and didn't even think about this. I guess it's too late now....I'll have to take may chances.
Thanks for the advice. I'd been told by the travel agent and quite a few people who i know that had been to Tunisia over the years i'd be ok, typical though that a week before i go, people start to tell me i should have had vaccinations :roll:
Well I rang my doctors to ask if my jabs were up to date and they told me I had to make an appointment with the nurse - they wouldn't give me the info even if Icall in in person and did it face to face and could prove I was who I said I was - so yes I will have to take my chances as the first appointment was next week!!
We all had our jabs a couple of weeks ago. The nurse recommended we had typhoid and Hep A. The typhoid jab was free but we had to pay £10.00 each for the Hep A.
Thanks for the advice. I'd been told by the travel agent and quite a few people who i know that had been to Tunisia over the years i'd be ok, typical though that a week before i go, people start to tell me i should have had vaccinations

Not meaning to be rude but I can never understand how people can book holidays to foriegn countries BEFORE finding out the basics like vaccinations :shock:
Not rudeSuki...common sense...First thing I checked whether I needed jabs...... along with the british embassy site for Tunisia as I was afraid i needed extra papers to allow a child to enter the country without their parents...seems I was right to check...some countries need a letter of approval from a parent not travelling... i.e if Iwas going with my son/daughter,, I need a letter from their father approving this...amazing but the law!!!!
Chris
Not rude at all Suki - you're right.

That's why I'm always careful with destinations on any last minute hols just incase there's no time to get jabs. To be perfectly honest, I did think about checking that I was up to date it in Jan when I booked the holiday but with working away, time has gotten the best of me. I knew I should have written it down somewhere!! :) Fortunately I had several jabs to go to Egypt a few years ago so I probably will be OK.

Dawn
Actually i did check as per my 1st post. I'd checked on here, most people saying it wasnt compulsary but recommended, with the travel agents etc etc. What i did say was i'd heard recently from a few people that they were essential and it had worried me a bit.

Sorry but to suggest i didnt check before i booked is a bit unfair
So you checked before you booked and were left unsure but only came on here a week before travelling to clarify?

To be brutally honest - none of us here are health experts. Once the question of shots came up you should have gone to your GP to ask. They know what jabs are recommended for where and hopefully have your history and know which ones you need. The jabs are free (although the New Hep A is usually charged for) and will cover you for 10 years.

Anyone travelling abroad - even to mainland europe - should ensure their jabs are up to date. With borders opening and the free movement of people, illnesses that were suposedly eradicated from this country are on the increase
Sorry Suki, let me clarify my meaning.

I had originally been made aware of the fact that some vaccinations were recommended well before i booked my holiday. I did research this well before booking to give my partner and me enough time should anything be needed.

However, at the weekend, a couple of people i was speaking to said they had read that it was a requirement and not a recommendation, hence the reason for my panic a week or so before we are due to go.

I realise that most on here are probably not health experts, however the people posting on here have been or are going to Tunisia so tend to know the facts. I was under the impression this was a friendly forum so thought the people on here would be able to give me some good advice since they had 1st hand experience.

Like i say, i was sure of the facts after originally speaking to my GP, visiting the Dept of Health site etc previous to booking, however a few people made me unsure at the weekend hence my post. I wondered if things had changed.

Thanks for the warm welcome by the way!
Ali Im sorry you feel I wasnt welcoming - for that I do apologise.

It is a friendly forum and Im sorry if you thought I wasnt being friendly or even having a pop at you - really wasnt my intention. I was just finding it incredulous (sp?) that two posters were asking about jabs a week before travelling.

Im glad to see that you did check with your gp and the foriegn office travel site at the time of booking but Im now really confused :? Are you saying that yours was just a general query and that you have had your jabs/already covered? if thats the case no wonder you thought i was a bit mean in my replies :(
Holiday Truths Forum

Post a Reply

Please sign in or register an account to reply to this post.

Sign in / Register

Holiday Truths Forum Ship image

Get the best deals!

from our cruise, ski and holiday partners

You can change your email preferences at any time.

Yes, I want to save money by receiving personalised travel emails with awesome deals from Holiday Truths group companies which are hotholidays.co.uk,getrcuising.co.uk and getskiing.co.uk. By subscribing I agree to the Privacy Policy

No, thank you.