Caribbean - Cuba Discussion Forum

Discussions regarding holidays in Cuba
Havana is definitely worth spending a couple of days in - personally I would give the Tropicana a miss and would instead head off to the many bars on Obispo where you'll find live music just as good. And you'll find the most popular bands playing live at either the Casa de la Musica in Havana ( a very nightclubby venue but air conditioned) or the one in Miramar (which is a big converted colonial villa). The latter is taxi ride away from Central Havana in a very suburban setting so it it worth arranging with the taxi driver who takes you there to pick you up at the end of the evening and take you back. Taxis do wait outside but you can't guarantee it and many of them won't be official licenced yellow cabs. Both will have a cover charge depending on who is playing.

If you prefer the more traditional sound of the Buena Vists Social Club era head for the Casa de la Trova (also a cover charge) but I have to admit to being biased - I don't think that it is as good as the one in Santiago. But the Palacio de la Artisana as well as having a good selection of craft shops used to have a small cafe that also had live music every afternoon for the price of coffee.

Just be warned that Cuban nightlife doesn't start to get going until around 10pm - if you want to catch an earlier performance ask around about who is playing the Matinees and where. These start around 3pm and go on until around 5.30-6.00pm and it's what Cubans do instead of having a siesta a lot of the time! Think tea dance but with mojitos! The big venues will also have an early evening performance but they are not tourist friendly in that they usually coincide with the Dinner service in most tourist hotels but if you are not booked in for dinner they are worth thinking about and then heading off for a late meal. Or do what the Cubans tend to do - have your main meal of the day at lunch time.

SM
Thanks for the info SMa. We hope to catch up with some night life.
Holiday Truths Forum

Post a Reply

Please sign in or register an account to reply to this post.

Sign in / Register

Holiday Truths Forum Ship image

Get the best deals!

from our cruise, ski and holiday partners

You can change your email preferences at any time.

Yes, I want to save money by receiving personalised travel emails with awesome deals from Holiday Truths group companies which are hotholidays.co.uk,getrcuising.co.uk and getskiing.co.uk. By subscribing I agree to the Privacy Policy

No, thank you.