Algarve/Portugal/Madeira/Azores Discussion Forum

Discussions regarding holidays in the Algarve
If you're looking for private accommodation then try not to go to the Marina end as it's a canny walk from the Old Town. There are some complexes in the old town.

There's one here as an example:- http://www.ownersdirect.co.uk/portugal/p9449.htm

I don't know the Old Town that well as I've only stayed there once, but I would imagine that most of the properties with pools could be in the elevated position of the town.
There's the 4 star Cerro Mar Atlantico Apartments, they are again in an elevated position but you can use the facilities of the hotel next door also
Hi Ali,

You're right that Albufeira is vast, but basically the Old Town is near the sea at the western end of Albufeira, and the Strip (Avenida Sa Carneiro) runs north/south at the eastern end. There is a headland between the Old Town and the Marina (further west) which is called Cerro Grande or Cerro da Piedade. There are lots of villas and apartments there and also all around the Old Town. There are also hotels in these areas but mainly half way between the Old Town and the Strip. Oh dear, I hope I'm not confusing you more! :que

It might help if you look at this map. It seems to be playing up a bit at the moment for me, but if it does for you just click on anything in the box at the bottom left and that seems to clear it. You can then use the N, S, E and W arrows to move around. It will give you an idea of the various areas and how they relate to each other. If you know the street name of a hotel or apartment complex, you can search for that and it will take you there.

The whole website is a mine of information and I hope it will help you.

Two tips - when you're considering booking somewhere, ask how far it is to the Old Town, and is it walkable? Secondly, book soon as places fill up rapidly for August.

Of course, there are members on here who will be pleased to help you with any queries. Just ask! :wave
Thanks Glynis and Roseweb,

The problem I am having with going tour operator/package holiday is the difficulty in getting a two bedroom apartment and because daughter has just come back from Rhodes, having slept on a very uncomfortable sofa bed in lounge, I thought I would have a better choice if we book privately.

Roseweb - love the look of windmill hill and now realise I need to book quickly !! Can I ask what the pool area is like at this complex i.e. are they strict over use of lilo's/beach balls etc or are they allowed to be used? Is August busy around the pool and is there difficulty in getting sun beds? Any other info about this complex would be of great help.

Thanks again :) :)

A x
Holiday Truths Forum

Post a Reply

Please sign in or register an account to reply to this post.

Sign in / Register

Holiday Truths Forum Ship image

Get the best deals!

from our cruise, ski and holiday partners

You can change your email preferences at any time.

Yes, I want to save money by receiving personalised travel emails with awesome deals from Holiday Truths group companies which are hotholidays.co.uk,getrcuising.co.uk and getskiing.co.uk. By subscribing I agree to the Privacy Policy

No, thank you.