Cyprus Discussion Forums

Discussions regarding holidays in Cyprus
try..here

hope it helps.. :D
Hi all :D ,
I have just been told that I may need to apply for a new Passport for my stay in Paphos next March because my current one has been stamped in Turkey :?:

Is this true :? .

Toffeemen
No!

Cyprus (South) is part of the EEC and changes to the Euro on 1st January next.

fwh
That seems to be a popular myth, when we were there, there were many people who had Turkish stamps on their passport on the plane and had been told this and there was no hassle for anybody when they arrived at Paphos :D
As a point of interest hen we were in Cyprus last month we crossed the border in Nicosia.

We were required to produce our passports but the Visa was on small sheet of paper. We were required to produce this on exit when it was stamped exit.

There may have been problems in the years gone by but we had a Turkish stamp in our old passports until we renewed at the end of last year.

We had visited both Crete and Cyprus with them.

Holidaymakers now fly into Larnaca and go by bus to the North.

fwh
Phew :lol: thats a relief :shock: .

Many thanks - only 5 Months to go :D .

Toffeemen
What makes you think they look through your passport? :lol:
For the past umpteen years all they've done is glance at the photo page of mine.

Mark
I travel to Turkey on buisness on a regular basis and visit Cyprus every year and have never been asked about the Turkish visas in my passport,my passport was issued in Libya and I have never been asked about that either ( yes I am British)
Now we're all in the wonderful (?) EU they hardly ever bother looking in your passport.
It's not a problem if you have a Turkish stamp anyway. I had quite a few in my old passport and it was never an issue in Cyprus.

Enjoy your holiday.
Hubby & I have half a dozen Turkish stamps in our passports and we live in Cyprus.

Don't give it another thought.

Louby
Many thanks for all your replies :D - roll on March 8) .

Toffeemen
due to go on holiday soon but have less than 6 months on my passport do i need to renew this - in other words do you have to have 6 months at least on your passport before you can fly any where - my mum has told me this the case but im not so sure???
My passport had ''Entered Turkey'' fifteen years ago, and I have never been stopped entering Cy, bit of a myth I think..

A Chinese whisper probably...
Not true. I've been to Turkey and Cyprus with the same passport.
Seems to be one of these urban myths, however if you turn up at any immigration and create your own fuss then the oficials will also make your life difficult.
It was never Turkey that caused the problem with visiting Cyprus but for anyone who had previously taken a holiday into the Northern (occupied) Cyprus and had their passport stamped on entry were refused entry into Cyprus (Southern) airports.

Friends of ours had been to the north on a previous holiday and had to be issued with new passports before they could go to the south of Cyprus for a later holiday.

CwB
Sorry what!! refused entry into Larnaca or Paphos, not true my friend, I for one have had no trouble ever doing this, if your passport says you have visited Turkey you will certainly be allowed to enter southern Cyprus...just call the High Commissioner or your passport office for confirmation..

Just to clear this up once and for all, you can now drive over from the south to the TRNC with no problems at all, just be careful what you bring back, in fact don't be tempted to bring tobacco from there, they will fine you and take the stuff off you coming back through to the Republic of Cyprus..
It was never Turkey that caused the problem with visiting Cyprus but for anyone who had previously taken a holiday into the Northern (occupied) Cyprus and had their passport stamped on entry were refused entry into Cyprus (Southern) airports.

I'm sure that couldn't have been recently...I've been to both areas without any problems regarding my passport.

I'm sure that couldn't have been recently...I've been to both areas without any problems regarding my passport.

Sorry what!! refused entry into Larnaca or Paphos, not true my friend, I for one have had no trouble ever doing this, if your passport says you have visited Turkey you will certainly be allowed to enter southern Cyprus...just call the High Commissioner or your passport office for confirmation..

Just to clear this up once and for all, you can now drive over from the south to the TRNC with no problems at all, just be careful what you bring back, in fact don't be tempted to bring tobacco from there, they will fine you and take the stuff off you coming back through to the Republic of Cyprus..

I never said it was recently, or indeed - said when it was. Just that it had happened.

Yes - a number of years ago (certainly before 2004) - but the point was is that it wasn't another "urban myth" - just a very delicate subject of the Illegal Occupation of Cyprus.

Anyone who had travelled via Turkey, as was the only way then, into Ercan - were not allowed into the Republic of Cyprus if they had northern entry stamps in their passport. They had to get new passports. Of course, eventually they got around it by stamping a separate piece of paper to stop this happening - in a very similar fashion as they used to do if you visited the occupied part of Nicosia by Ledra Palace crossing point from the South before 2004.

Now, it's easy peasy!

CwB
Holiday Truths Forum

Post a Reply

Please sign in or register an account to reply to this post.

Sign in / Register

Holiday Truths Forum Ship image

Get the best deals!

from our cruise, ski and holiday partners

You can change your email preferences at any time.

Yes, I want to save money by receiving personalised travel emails with awesome deals from Holiday Truths group companies which are hotholidays.co.uk,getrcuising.co.uk and getskiing.co.uk. By subscribing I agree to the Privacy Policy

No, thank you.