Flight Only / Airline and Airports

Discussions relating to flight only, airlines and airports.
Statement from the Department for Transport

The following is a guide to the security requirements for all passengers departing from UK airports and also provides some advice that will help passengers pass through the security search point as quickly as possible.

Key Points to remember:

Each passenger is restricted to carrying only one item of cabin baggage through the airport search point with a maximum size of 56cm x 45cm x 25cm. Other bags, such as handbags, may be carried within the single item of cabin baggage.

Where possible, put all liquid items in your hold baggage. This includes water and other drinks, creams, sprays, pastes and gels.

The details below will help you and we strongly recommend that you take some time to read it before setting off for the airport .

Passenger requirements

Liquids
Some liquids are allowed through airport security check points. There are however, restrictions on the quantity of liquids that can be taken through:

Passengers may carry small quantities of liquids, but only within separate containers each of which with a capacity not greater than 100ml.

These containers must be brought to the airport contained in a single, transparent, re-sealable plastic bag (about the size of a small freezer bag), which itself must not exceed 1 litre in capacity (approximately 20cm x 20cm). The contents of the plastic bag must fit comfortably and the bag sealed. Each passenger may carry only one such bag of liquids.

The bag must be presented separately for examination at the airport security point.

http://www.direct.gov.uk/prod_consum_dg/groups/dg_digitalassets/@dg/@en/documents/digitalasset/dg_177347.jpg

Please note:
* Any containers larger than 100ml (excluding essential medicines, see section below) will NOT be allowed through the security search point.
* Most liquids of any amount may still be carried in hold baggage.
* ONE lighter per person may be carried through central search. Lighters form part of the allowance of liquid in the litre bag and can either be placed inside the litre bag or screened separately provided they would fit into the bag. It is very important that passengers do not place the lighter into their cabin bag after screening - it must be carried on the person for the duration of the flight. Lighters are NOT permitted in hold baggage.

Remember that 'Liquids' includes:

* All drinks, including water, soup, syrups
* Creams, lotions, oils, perfumes, mascara etc
* Sprays and pressurized containers including shaving foam and spray deodorants
* Pastes, including toothpastes
* Gels, including hair and shower gel
* Any other solutions and items of similar consistency

Please note that liquids can usually be purchased beyond airport security search points, in the departures area, as these liquids are subject to a separate screening process.

Essential Medicines
Essential Medicines for the period of the trip may be permitted in larger quantities above the 100ml limit, but will be subject to authentication. Passengers must have obtained the prior agreement of the airline with which they are travelling and their departure airport. Passengers must also bring with them supporting documentation from a relevant qualified medical professional.

Essential Medical Equipment
Passengers are permitted to carry through airport security medical equipment essential for use during the period of their trip. Where possible the equipment should be contained within the ONE item of cabin baggage and again should be accompanied by supporting documentation from a relevant qualified medical professional.

Baby Food
Liquid baby food or sterilised water, sufficient for the journey, can be taken through airport security. The accompanying adult will be required to verify by tasting.

Essential Liquid Dietary Foodstuffs
Liquid dietary foodstuffs which are deemed essential can be taken through airport security and will be subject to verification by the passenger.

Cabin baggage and size allowed
Each passenger is restricted to carrying only one item through the airport search point with a maximum size of 56cm x 45cm x 25cm, including wheels, handles and external pockets. (note: the 1 litre re-sealable bag must be able to fit within the cabin bag). Other bags, such as handbags, may be carried within the single item of cabin baggage.

Pushchairs, walking aids and wheelchairs are permitted but will be security screened.

Laptops / electrical items
Laptops and other large electrical items (e.g. a large hairdryer) have to be removed from cabin baggage and screened separately. A laptop bag that is not contained within the one piece of cabin baggage is regarded as the one allowable item of cabin baggage.

Outsize items
All items of luggage larger than the permitted cabin baggage size (maximum length 56 cm, width of 45 cm and depth of 25 cm, including wheels, handles and external pockets) must be checked in to be placed in the aircraft hold. The only exception is musical instruments. These are allowed as a second item of cabin baggage if they do not fit into the cabin bag. They will however need to be screened and passengers should check with their airlines as to whether there are special arrangements (e.g. purchasing an extra seat) for these large instruments.

Preparing for your journey
Passengers are asked to bear in mind the following advice to help make their passage through the airport as efficient and comfortable as possible:

Before you arrive at the airport
* Limit quantities of liquids to what you may need in the cabin for the duration of the flight.
* When possible, put all liquids in hold baggage. Remember do not to place lighters into hold baggage - the one lighter permitted must be carried on the person for the duration of the flight.
* Prepare the re-sealable bag of liquids before arriving at the airport.
* Check any queries you have with your airport or airline before travelling to the airport.
* Please note that any gifts carried in the cabin bag should be unwrapped.

As you approach the security search point
* Be ready to hand over your re-sealable bag of liquids for screening as you approach the security search point. It will be screened at the same time as your cabin baggage.
* All coats and jackets will have to be removed ready to be screened and metal items may need to be placed in plastic trays and screened separately.
* If you are carrying a laptop or any other large electrical item within your cabin luggage then please have it ready for separate screening.
* Please note that you may be asked to remove your footwear for security screening.

Duty free / departure lounge purchases
* You may take on board liquid items of any size that are purchased after the security search point in the departure lounge (sometimes referred to as 'Airside'), as these items would have undergone a separate screening process.
* Most duty free or similar purchases will be given to you in a special sealed bag. Do not open this bag until you have reached your final destination. You should also retain your proof of purchase throughout your journey. You will be required to show it at all transfer points.
* Please note restrictions apply to duty free purchases made on return journeys where passengers change flights at an EU airport. These are explained in detail in the next section.

Please remember that these are the requirements set down by the Department for Transport. Airlines and Airports may have additional measures in place, and passengers are strongly advised to check the website of their carrier or airport before travelling.

Returning to or via the UK

Travelling from an airport in the EU, Norway, Iceland or Switzerland:

The arrangements outlined above apply. Please note restrictions on cabin baggage sizes may not be in effect in some EU member states, Norway, Iceland or Switzerland. For further details please check with your carrier.

Travelling from an airport in any other country:

Local arrangements apply.

Special information for transit/transfer passengers

If your journey involves changing flights at any EU airport, special restrictions apply. You may only take liquid items (for example duty free) through the security search point at your connecting airport if:

* they conform to the requirements for passengers departing from EU airports as set out above; or
* they have been purchased airside at another EU airport, or on board an aircraft operated by an EU carrier. You will need to show proof of purchase to demonstrate this. Liquid items in excess of 100ml purchased from other airports or on board other airlines may only be carried as hold baggage on the connecting flight.

The member states of the European Union are:

Austria, Belgium, Bulgaria, Cyprus, Czech Republic, Denmark, Estonia, Finland, France, Germany, Greece, Hungary, Ireland, Italy, Latvia, Lithuania, Luxembourg, Malta, Netherlands, Poland, Portugal, Romania, Slovakia, Slovenia, Spain, Sweden, United Kingdom.

Crown copyright material reproduced with the permission of the Controller of HMSO and the Queen's Printer for Scotland

UPDATE: Some airlines and/or airports now allow two pieces of hand luggage, while others still only allow one. It is important that passengers check the website of the airline they are travelling with, as well as the websites of the airports they are travelling to and from, as restrictions may differ on the outward and return flights.
  • Edited by David 2007-06-19 17:01:10
Dublin Airport is warning of possible delays at security checks as from Monday, as the new EU legislation is introduced in Ireland .... click here for more.

David :wave
Hello all,
this will be my first post on Holidaytruth and hope it will help. Apparently there are further restrictions that will aplly if you fly in and out of Munich Airport and this is an extract from a website for the travel trade called Travel Daily News ( copyright acknowledged ) .

(Post edited for copyright reasons, click HERE to read article ... David HT Mod)

------------

Most people may think that it may not apply to them but if for example you will fly Lufthansa or any other carrier to Asia or the USA via Munich then you may need to know. Although I work in the travel trade since a long time I can confirm to all the readers that it is becoming very difficult to get the right information in real time.

Thank you for your attention
Welcome to the forums MOS. I'm afraid that I had to edit your post as despite acknowledging the source, we are unable to allow reproduction from other sites without their express written consent.

With regard to individual airports, we have seen in recent months that while the Department of Transport (and now the EU) may lay down minimum security measures in response to specific risks or threats, individual airlines or airports may impose their own more stringent meaures. For that reason, we always advise that travellers should also consult the website of the airport or airline concerned.

hi,
I know you cannot take lighters through but I am sure I read that you can take safety matches. We both smoke(Iknow :x ) and we are travelling on Sunday from Manchester. I can't find where I saw it and it does not say on the airport site. Does anyone know?
Thanks
Margaret
Netkit yes you can take a single book or box of safety matches through see the pdf file below.

Baa web site but as been said before check with the airline you are flying with as they may not allow them. There is also a link to the new rules regarding liquids.
New rules on liquids
Margaret ... it may have been on the BAA website you read that safety matches were allowed, but of course Manchester is not a BAA airport. I don't see any reference on the Manchester Airport website as to whether safety matches are allowed, but bear in mind that these restrictions apply to what you are allowed to take through security checks in hand luggage. They do not restrict what you can buy in airside shops after those security checks to take on board with you. So irrespective of what Manchester Airport may or may not say about items allowed through security checks, you would also have to verify individual airline policy on matches, lighters, etc.

I have just returned from Las Vegas and bought a bottle of vodka at duty free there which was sealed in a plastic bag. On arrival at Manchester we had to transfer to an Aberdeen flight and go through security at the transfer point. They wouldn't allow us to take the bottle of vodka or bottles of water through and they were confiscated despite being bought in a secure area.

luci :wave
Can I empahsise again that if you are travelling to anywhere outside the EU that you need to check (if you are able!!) the restrictions on your handbaggage for your return flight. It is the airport/country that sets the regulations and NOT the airline, and what is acceptable on your outbound leg may not be allowed on the return!!

For example, last week in Antigua you were not allowed to take individual items of liquids/gels with a capacity greater than 90ml (they weren't allowing people to empty 10ml from the 100ml bottle thay had taken to the Caribbean with them either!!) I BELIEVE (but may stand corrected) that this is following the US regulations.

Also consider your duty frees purchased on the way home. If you have a connecting domestic flight, duty frees purchased on board or at your departure airport will have to be packed into your holdbaggage before your onward flight . There were plenty of folk frantically repacking at the baggage carousels at LGW last week!!!
The point TAH-M made shows how different restrictions are placed by countries outside the EU, i have just returned from Tobago and ALL liquids, gels etc were not allowed on as hand luggage , obviously no drinks as well, also no lighters, BAA airports allow 1 lighter per person on outbound flights.

Its interesting what you state about the Antigua restrictions as BA had a flight from Tobago with NO liquids etc which was going to Antigua (90ml restrictions) then onto Gatwick, so although each country/airport sets its own restrictions you have a mix of passengers on the same flight subject to different restrictions.

Also about Duty Free, they just packed passengers purchases in brown carrier bags, so if you were flying from Gatwick to another airport by flight connections then your duty free could be confiscated as it wasn't in a tamper proof bag. I couldn't understand luci 's problem at Manchester, i would think that a tamper proof bag with receipt of purchase and the fact that you have stayed "airside" is proof enough to allow you through on a connecting flight. I know that BAA airports operate this policy as long as you have receipt and no tampering of the bag, but Manchester isn't one of their airports. Its all about products allowed on board being purchased in a "sterile" area.
Sorry, another point about the duty free that was taken off luci, was that probably having flown back from Las Vegas you would have to "land" yourself, ie go through immigration as you are staying or back home in the UK before catching your flight onto Aberdeen if you were flying onto another country you would be in transit and the duty free would off have stayed in a sterile area. You probably went through immigration and customs and then onto domestic departures? It also depends on which airline you flew back on to Manchester. If it was a UK carrier and bought on the plane then they should have allowed you to keep it if you had the receipt and was intact in the tamperproof bag as the product has remained in a sterile area and under UK lock and key on the plane. Confusing???? you bet it is!!! the purchase also has to have been purchased on the same day there is a time limit on how "sterile" the product remains.
There is some advice from the Department for Transport on these issues.

Please click on the link in my signature to go directly to the post which details current restrictions and then scroll down to the section headed "Returning to or via the UK".

Sub-sections there refer to passengers returning from airports outwith the EU, and also to transit passengers changing flights within the UK or elsewhere in the EU.

JUst been on a mini break to Disneyland Paris frlying with easyjet from Newcastle CDG Terminal 3.

At Newcastle i had to take my shoes off, hand over cough medicine ( was told they sold it in boots in the departure lounge but they didn't as they don't have a pharmacy :evil: ) and they even took my lip balm off me :x .

Medicine was in a 150ml bottle and was half full but was told the bottle itself had to be 100ml or less. Even though they took it off me they still made me taste it for them which i couldn't understand. I had completely forgot that my daughter had 3 250ml cartons of orange juice in her bag and they didn't even open her bag after it went through the machine so she took those on the flight. Searches are therefore still just random.

At CDG they had clear plastic bags for people and a bin for big bottles prior to the xray machine. None of our bags were searched this time and i had 2 babies milk bottles and one of the 250ml cartons of juice in my bag. They went throught he machine but were not selected for search afterwards.

Total inconsistency at both airports and the main bug bear with me being the medicine and the lip balm which was only 20grams.
Hi ujpest doza ... there is without doubt still some inconsistency in the implementation of these new security measures. The rules are clear enough in that liquid containers should have a maximum capacity of 100mls. They do also say that larger volumes of "essential" medicine "may" be permitted. But it is important that passengers check with the relevant airports to see how that is being interpreted and implemented by them.

Your 250mls containers of juice obviously escaped detection, but the fact is that you should not have been carrying them in hand luggage. Passengers are still experiencing delays or missed departures each day, either because they are carrying liquids in excess of the permitted amounts, or because other passengers in front of them in the security queues have not complied with the rules and bring the process to a halt. So although you lost the cough bottle, it perhaps might have been worse, as you could potentially have missed the flight because of those cartons of juice.

Hi David,
I know exactly what you mean, the cartons of juice were a complete over sight (put there by my wife, not me i might add :D ) but were not picked up at either airport.

I hadn't actually read the rules properly either i have to say, as i thought i could take liquids up to 100ML as opposed to liquids in containers of no more than 100ML. To be honest, there aren't many 100ML bottles of anything available so its best to not bother and just pack anything you may need on your arrival in your suitcase.

Cheers.
Might sound silly but do the regulations mean we can't take bottles of water onto the plane? We're going to the Carribean in a couple of weeks and it's always so hot waiting to go through immigration etc at the other end.
Hi poogie ... the restrictions on liquids refer to what you can or cannot take through security checks. Once through security, drinks purchased in airside shops may be taken on board the aircraft.

Hi David

:lol: sorry, back to the question of taking catheters contained in small plastic tubes filled with preservative liquide, any idea what I need to do about these? I need a box of approx 40 for the weeks holiday, they come packaged in a small box, do I take them out of the box and put them in a bag? also do I have to add up how much liquide is in each one? :lol:

Thanks
Chazy x
Hi Chazy ... this section of the current restrictions applies to you:

Medicines

Essential medicines and baby food may be permitted in larger quantities above the 100ml limit, but will be subject to authentication

It is best that you speak to your local airport to verify their defintion of 'essential' and whether they consider that as being essential for the flight or essential for the holiday. To save yourself any inconvenience or delay on the day of travel, it would be best if you also verify their authentication procedures with them in advance. If you are bringing home any unused medication or liquids with you in your hand luggage, you may have to verify procedures at the overseas airport in advance too.

Holiday Truths Forum

Post a Reply

Please sign in or register an account to reply to this post.

Sign in / Register

Holiday Truths Forum Ship image

Get the best deals!

from our cruise, ski and holiday partners

You can change your email preferences at any time.

Yes, I want to save money by receiving personalised travel emails with awesome deals from Holiday Truths group companies which are hotholidays.co.uk,getrcuising.co.uk and getskiing.co.uk. By subscribing I agree to the Privacy Policy

No, thank you.