General Holiday Enquiries, Hints and Tips

General Holiday Enquiries? Got General Hints & Tips? Post Them Here.
http://www.samuiairportonline.com/photo-gallery
Samui is my favourite ever though- although its not a major airport. Absolutely beautiful
Good topic Fiona :)

Samui airport does look pretty and it appears to have a cosy and comfortable feel to it.

The closest I've come to a pretty airport is Punta cana in the Dominican Republic. A small airport with a thatched roof. The Caribbean music just adds to the ambience.
The closest I've come to a pretty airport is Punta cana in the Dominican Republic

... but you can't have enjoyed the arrivals shed !!! :que :D
I don't remember it being a shed Geoff :think - I know we were met by natives in national costume, insisting we all had a photo taken with them and then they tried selling the pic to us when we arrived at the airport for our return journey :rofl

I remember looking around at check-in and thinking how pretty it looked with its thatched roof and colourful displays of flowers.
Oh, it was definitely a shed when we were there, complete with tressle tables where Dominican customs tipped out the entire contents of baggage arriving from a Puerto Rico flight which had touched down immediately before us.
I'm a bit of a saddo and quite like Gatwick, I wouldn't say it was beautiful but from a seat in one of the executive lounges with the sort of complmentary food, drink & comfy sofas, as part of your entry it always seems fine to me if I have a Pimms in my hand. :rofl Maybe it's what you get used to, I know it is a major hub and ultra modern but I really didnt like Miami airport and I think I must have been through Charles de Gaulle when the whole of the place was being ripped apart, hopefully its better now. As for Mombassa well, pretty Country but the less said about the airport the better.

Doe :sun2
I love Gatwick too - but never been in the fancy lounges though - perhaps I should do it next year, when I am flying long haul to get me in the mood - good idea that - I go from North though so not sure any there.

I not been to many pretty airports - must travel more :cheers
The new Alicante Airport is pretty 'cool' and BIG (160 check-in desks).....Mickey Dick Turpin called it a cathedral. :lol:

http://www.aena-aeropuertos.es/csee/Satellite/NATAlicante/en/Page/1228220370377/

Hong Kong Airport was wild and wonderful (what we saw of it)
Virgin's Club House at Heathrow..... now that really IS another world. :tup
I can't get excited about airports, because I just like to pass through them as quickly as possible.

Sanji
I went to/from Alicante airport last year for the first time Sanji and I am so naive I have no idea what I was expecting but was totally impressed. :rofl I think we must be taking serious money there.

Still I have been to Reus in recent years so as you can imagine the contrast was rather spectacular, the split upholstery on the seats was particularly impressive, one poor guy sat in the seat opposite me and the chair leg fell off and he fell on the floor. It was a few years back hopefully its had a refurb.

Doe :sun2
Must agree with Fiona,Changi is amazing.
Its 23 years since we were there so it must be totally mind blowing now. :tup
You would probably not recognise Changi now Jay, I first visited the airport in the early 90's and as you say it was impressive then but a major renovation in 2000 I think and the addition of another terminal totally changed it's appearance. I'm one of those people who don't really like airports, hate the crowds and I just can't wait to get on the plane and get in the air but Changi is one of the few airports that I don't mind having a wander around for a couple of hours when waiting for a plane.
Wonder if they do rooms - it sounds lovely, we could spend our 2 weeks there :cheers
Until 6:00pm today, Ladbrokes were quoting 250/1 that the word 'Gatwick' wouldn't feature at all, let alone twice, in a thread entitled 'World's ten most beautiful airports'!... I could've cleaned up and paid for a month in St. Lucia ! ... As they say up North, 'There's nowt as queer as folk !!' :D :D
:rofl @ Sagres. You just made me spill my wine, it's amazing what the thought of going on holiday can do for you, you start seeing airports through rose tinted lenses. :rofl
Glynis HT Admin wrote:
Wonder if they do rooms - it sounds lovely, we could spend our 2 weeks there :cheers

Yes they do, it's called the Ambassador Transit Hotel :cheers
My daughter and her family arrived in Changi from Bali and found themselves stranded courtesy of the ash cloud over Europe.
They were given 5 sleeping bags and directed to the area where the camp beds were!
Their clothes were in transit so they decided not to stay and try and find a hotel and buy some clothes.
As lovely as the airport is I wouldnt have fancied 8 days on a camp bed. :rofl
Jay Trip wrote:
As lovely as the airport is I wouldnt have fancied 8 days on a camp bed. :rofl

Jay, years ago a camp bed, to me, would have seemed like luxury. As mentioned in another thread we did the Greek Islands with a backpack and pup tent..........But it wouldn't have been the same no matter how lovely the airport was..........just not the same is it? Compared to sleeping literally under the stars :tup
The airport on the island of Barra in the Outer Hebrides is pretty nice & totally unique

http://www.hial.co.uk/barra-airport/about-us/barra-airport-today/

If you are wondering where the runway is it is that lovely stretch sandy beach :D
Holiday Truths Forum

Post a Reply

Please sign in or register an account to reply to this post.

Sign in / Register

Holiday Truths Forum Ship image

Get the best deals!

from our cruise, ski and holiday partners

You can change your email preferences at any time.

Yes, I want to save money by receiving personalised travel emails with awesome deals from Holiday Truths group companies which are hotholidays.co.uk,getrcuising.co.uk and getskiing.co.uk. By subscribing I agree to the Privacy Policy

No, thank you.