Camping and Caravanning UK and Europe

Discussions regarding camping and caravanning in the UK and the rest of Europe.
We've only done Eurocamp but having seen come of the caravans that sites rent out, I would take a recommendation from someone before booking direct with a site. One site we stayed on rented out caravans that were in an appalling state.
Eurocamp etc have caravans on some of the Yelloh sites and I've seen it recommended as a direct book (they have 37 sites).
When do you go away ??

It's not just the campsite it's the Channel crossing too

There are other ways
but
it depends on whether you use Your equipment or theirs can tell you a bit more but if you're tied to kids holidays then compare camping companies because of the discounts they get for the channel if not ties to kids a different story all together
Forgot to add, tied to kids holidays,
Looking at spring bank 26th may to 2nd june, either full week or 5 days depending on how far I need to travel. Summers not an option this year.
Looking at Yelloh and Les Castels sites
Found decent ferry crossing with speedferries which none of the all inclusives seem to include as an option.
cheers
Rob
OUCH kids

Yelloh - personally not keen

explanation
Stood in Yelloh Reception chating to another English and a Dutch caravanner about where we were going next (all using Camping Cheques- useles for you with kids) We were al treated to a display of extreme bad manners by reception staff because we were talking about going to NON Yelloh sites -mainly because not all take CC but to them that didn't matter there are no other sites than Yelloh sites -their words

Eurocamp /Eurosites / Matthews / Keycamp

All these offer ferry or Tunnel not as fast as speed ferries but I can't comment because I can't take my van on Speederries and I book the Tunnel cheaper independantly
Also look at Canvas Holidays if your going down that road. I was on their site last night and saw something about 25% off. We're booked for this year so didn't pay much attention to when the 25% off applies.
Hi Rob we have booked this type of holiday for the last 3 yrs and found that if you have a campsite selected, "google " it and you may find that there are several other companies using that site besides booking direct with the campsite.
We have found that the accommodation available direct with the campsite is of a poorer quality or is very dated and smaller in comparison to that available with the bigger companies.
As long as you don't mind using french dutch or swedish companies etc, you may also get another option
Hi

I've travelled with Keycamp a few times and we have always had great holiday - the kids especially enjoy it!

I've looked at booking direct with the campsite, but the accommodation is generally not as comfortable and I found that by booking the whole thing through Keycamp, the ferries are much cheaper than prices I was quoted to book direct.
Going out of holidays we book with holidays companies (Haven, Eurocamp) since it is cheaper and you get a free week when booking two weeks.

If we went in holidays we would book direct since it is then cheaper. Use Speed Ferries and get recommnendations/read reviews etc. for the site. I think the Canvas site has had feedback for a few years, and Eurocamp started feedback last year.

We are not keen on Yelloah,etc companies. The bars/restaurants close at 11, the facilities are smaller (pools, play areas etc.) and they tend to be bigger, more impersonal sites. We stay at privatley owned medium pitch (about 200 pitches) sites which are a lot more fun and have better facilities and values.
I have to say, I favour Eurocamp. Haven't tried the other but EC is all so professional and seems to suit whatever your needs. An added bonus for us is that we get great savings with them through our AA membership
I have to say, I favour Eurocamp. Haven't tried the other but EC is all so professional

As a firm they are very professional

in-fact when watched from afar they are just like Thom son and others whose resort reps HAVE to make you book excursions

Been to sites late season when the reps were just plain bored as they had got no campers and nothing to do until demontage
except drink and play and get kicked off the campsite for rowdy behaviour

Quick put sugar in my tea I'm getting bitter in my old age :twisted:
My parents saved €1500 last July by booking direct with the ferry company & campsite. The mobile home they stayed in was first class. (Site - La Grande Metairie, Carnac).
We travel Hull-Zeebrugge with Keycamps, up-graded accommodation on the ferry and inc meals. The price of the ferry alone would be £400

Our entire 2 weeks holiday including upgrade and meals on ferry, in 3 bedroom/2 bathroom mobile home + insurance for us and car with Keycamps is £550 that is from 17th April to !st May.

It doesn't always pay to go independant.

Patka
Patka Posted:
Our entire 2 weeks holiday including upgrade and meals on ferry, in 3 bedroom/2 bathroom mobile home + insurance for us and car with Keycamps is £550 that is from 17th April to !st May.

It doesn't always pay to go independant.

Our 3 weeks this year are costing
Eurotunnel £98 each way (total £196)
Camping Cheques £103 that 10 nights worth
then
we have 7 more nights where we will not spend more than €8 a night (total £38)

Grand total £340 ish for 17 nights

If you've got your own kit independant IS the way to see France and Spain
Gray, I take your point BUT my ferry costs would be £400 because we choose to have Dinner, bed & breakfast on ferry both ways which reduces driving time & fuel costs, remove that cost and we are paying £i50 for 12 nights in a large mobile home which sleeps 8 so for us the package does work out the better option.

I would advise anyone to work out both options before deciding and not just go by either of us.

It all comes down to personal choice and thank heaven we are not all alike.

Patka
Canvas holidays offer all that Keycamp & Eurocamp do but do it better and more economically.

Having said that, if you find a site that you really love and the owners have their own mobile homes, then it is far cheaper to book direct.
This is what I said before going to France

Our 3 weeks this year are costing
Eurotunnel £98 each way (total £196)
Camping Cheques £103 that 10 nights worth
then
we have 7 more nights where we will not spend more than €8 a night (total £3

Grand total £340 ish for 17 nights

If you've got your own kit independant IS the way to see France and Spain

We used just 4 of the Camping Cheques as we found a perfect site for us
Friendly family run site
Two fantastic fishng lakes
good company of other campers not one snob amongst us
a mile from a decent town (cycling distance)
central to lots of other fascinating places

Gosh this sounds like an advert guess what going back next month too -- Oh yes they have 8 statics as well so no need for caravan but a car is a must

forgot to say where Twin Lakes Soumeras (nr Montandre) Charente Maritime
Holiday Truths Forum

Post a Reply

Please sign in or register an account to reply to this post.

Sign in / Register

Holiday Truths Forum Ship image

Get the best deals!

from our cruise, ski and holiday partners

You can change your email preferences at any time.

Yes, I want to save money by receiving personalised travel emails with awesome deals from Holiday Truths group companies which are hotholidays.co.uk,getrcuising.co.uk and getskiing.co.uk. By subscribing I agree to the Privacy Policy

No, thank you.