Spain - Costa Blanca Discussion Forum

Discussions regarding holidays in the Costa Blanca.
We stayed at Playa Flamenca. The residents were mostly very nice, made up of brits and irish.

These are basically, concrete housing estates built in squares with pools in the middle.

The whole week, we didnt feel safe at all. There were robbings going on all around us!!!

Via park 1 & 2 are nice places to eat. But unfortunatley, we also went to a pub in a complex further down the road, and some of the party caught campileobactia(?) and salmonella. They had to report themselves to our local council when we came back as they were highly contagious!!!!

We also visited the emerald isle swimming pool, which was very cloudy. Considering, the toilets were overflowing then people walked back into the pool, this was hardly surprising!!!

La Zenia beach was nice, until 2 people appeared with black bags and emptied them onto the beach, they contained very very cheap clothing (rags) and it turned into a free for all jumble sale!!!!

It is not a pretty area at all. There are much much nicer areas.
I have read a few comments about the area around Torrevieja, most of which are bad and even the ones who like it say it isn't everyone's cup of tea. What I can't see anywhere is any explanaiton of what is bad about it.

Here goes :oops:
The Eastern European mafia gangs moved in, and they loved it so much that they bought it.!
What I mean by that is, that Torrevieja has been built on mafia money. :wink:
Despite the extra deployment of officers from the Guardia Civil and neighbours creating their own neighbourhood watch schemes, vigillante groups..... and even though the crime rate has dropped by 40%, Torrevieja remains one of the highest places in all of Spain for crime.

Besos xxx
Sanji
  • Edited by Sanji 2006-02-01 13:10:05
I can only comment on what I have seen, we were in Los Dolses for two weeks in October 2005 and had a great time, the villa we were in had a comunial (spelling) pool but we never used it. We went to the beach at La Zenia nearly every day, we thought it was a lovely wee beach, you do get the sellers and the masuers asking you every five minutes but a NO and a smile and they go away, maybe because it was October it was quiet but my kids loved it, the water is clear and shelves out gently but you get large breakers and the kids 12, 7 had boogie boards, we couldnt get them to come out of the sea. We also enjoyed the centre at Los Dolces, we made a lot of friends in the Sporting life and Angels, Villamartin Plaza was nice and we went there acouple of times for breakfast and dinner. We never heard of any trouble but Torrevecia is about ten miles away( I think) My wife liked it so much she and the kids are going back in April, unfortunately I have to work.
Hello Grump33

In answer to your question "What's bad about it"? The only thing we have found is everyone telling us that crime is rife! It has now become a source of irritation to me. I'm not saying it doesn't happen and everyone is right to be on their guard - but no more so than any other tourist hot spot.

My own personal experience is that we have now been regular visitors to the area for the last 3 or 4 years since we found it to be an excellent base for a family holiday. It suits us much better than package holidays to hotels and works out much cheaper, to the extent that we've visited the area at least twice a year. Like any area there are bits that are not that pretty but if you are prepared to do a little exploring then you will find that there are many beautiful vistas to survey. We use the same villa every time and have become friends with quite a few residents - neither us or any of the local residents we know have been a victim to crime but every time we visit we are told to take precautions. My own point of view is that there is a high number of retired people and they feel vulnerable. They are very friendly and want to look out for you so they give you the best advice they can to avoid you becoming a victim. However, I don't know anyone who has moved out because of the crime and they live there for weeks & months at time if not permanently. The area we visit is Playa Flamenca and is only about 5km from Torrevieja. It has a real mixture of nationalities but mainly British, Irish, German, Spanish & Scandinavian. I have nothing but praise for the kindness & helpfulness of the people we have encountered, both in Playa Flamenca and Torrevieja and have never felt threatened at all (day or night).

Over the years I've travelled around many places and I've had my purse pickpocketed (in Barcelona), I've been frightened by fighting in the street (in Benidorm), there has been police called to a dispute in the corridor of our hotel (in Cyprus) and my sister has been a victim of crime (in London). Nothing has happened in Playa Flamenca or Torrevieja. There is no doubt that crime can spoil a holiday if you are a victim but use your common sense and put the fear of crime in perspective - don't let the fear of crime spoil your holiday. I have no doubt there are many more good people out there than the rotten few. However, the rotten few get the headlines! It can't be that bad, Torrevieja attracts thousands of holidaymakers every year. We are going back again this July and so looking forward to it.
In answer to your question "What's bad about it"? The only thing we have found is everyone telling us that crime is rife! It has now become a source of irritation to me. I'm not saying it doesn't happen and everyone is right to be on their guard - but no more so than any other tourist hot spot.

We had best agree to disagree, because when people refute the official Spanish Guardia Civil figures, it becomes a source of irritation to me. :roll:
When the mayor of Torrevieja has been pleading with central government for more officers, when residents march in their thousands demanding more protection, set up their own neighbourhood watch schemes, have a policeman from Kent trying to sort it all out, and thousands have their property up for sale, because they can`t get out quick enough.
Yes, we had best agree to disagree.!
http://www.yourlocalnewspaper.info/news/newsarticledetail.php?article_id=3297
http://www.yourlocalnewspaper.info/news/newsarticledetail.php?article_id=5175
http://www.yourlocalnewspaper.info/news/newsarticledetail.php?article_id=4072
http://www.yourlocalnewspaper.info/news/newsarticledetail.php?article_id=5167
http://www.yourlocalnewspaper.info/news/newsarticledetail.php?article_id=3740

Sanji
I don't think we are disagreeing at all! :D I don't dispute anybody's figures and as I said, I am aware that it happens. My point of view is purely based on my own personal experience.

All I want people to do is put it in perspective. It isn't only the mayor of Torrevieja that wants more policemen, nor is Torrevieja the only town setting up neighbourhood watch schemes or have lots of properties for sale on the Costa Blanca. Let's face it they are for sale for various reasons - not everyone is selling up for fear of crime and every coastal region in Spain has building work which has been bought and sold a few times by investors. High turn over of properties is very common, more so in Torrevieja as it has seen the highest number of recent new builds. The newspaper articles make interesting reading and everyone should be aware there are rotten apples in the barrel but unfortunately the stories of the good apples never make it to print because it doesn't sell papers. Not that many years ago it was Benidorm that got some real bad press (and before that it was Marbella on the Costa del Sol - remember the nickname Costa del Crime?), maybe it's just Torrevieja's turn!
I think the first paragraph on the first link answers your questions...especially the last line.!

besos xxx
sanji
Hi Sanji, you are right and we are agreeing again! :D

The paragraph in this newspaper report you've pointed out is ideal for illustrating my point of putting things in perspective.

It quotes a figure of 325 crimes reported per 10,000 head of population. If my sums are right this means that you have a 3.25% chance of encountering crime in Torrevieja. Put another way then you have 96.75% chance of not encountering crime! To further put it in perspective this figure represents all types of crime e.g. drug dealers, prostitution, drunk drivers, all your mafia types etc. It also represents the population who live there all year round. So, if you avoid all the prostitutes, drug dealers, mafia types and don't drink and drive plus don't stay for as long as all year (all general rules we abide by!) :shock: - I guess you reduce your chances of encountering crime even further. As for saying that Torrevieja has one of the highest rates of crime in Spain - this may well be true but another way of saying exactly the same thing (in a non sensationalist newspaper way) is that it's not the worst! :wink:

It's all about putting it in context.
Hi
Yes put it into context by all means, and I'm sure that the analysts in Spain have compared the sort of crimes committed, with the same areas in acreage, the population etc, to come up with figures that state Torrejieva has one of the highest crime rates in all of spain.
I think you have to get that into perspective...all of Spain,....not just the Costa Blanca.
3.25% chance of encountering crime in Torrevieja.

Look at that another way, if in a neighbouring town of the same population etc, you have a 1.625% chance of encountering crime, then you have twice the chance of being a victim in Torrevieja. :wink:
Statistics can be manipulated to suit your cause, and whilst it is true that the Eastern European gangs operate all along the Costas, they seem to be concentrated in Torrevieja.
Another take on the figures is....the amount of crime that is being committed in one area of Torrevieja, could be a higher percentage and your chances of being a victim increase significantly, then the figure of 3.25% would rise.... but, the overall figure for all of Torrevieja are the figures quoted above, and will not reflect a true account of the actual crime figures in certain districts.
The context can be manipulated further, by saying that crime has decreased by 20%, that`s the overall figure, but robberies and handbag snatchings have rose by 37% in Alicante province.. :wink:

http://www.yourlocalnewspaper.info/news/newsarticledetail.php?article_id=6769

Besos xxx
sanji
Hi Sanji

Yes put it into context by all means, and I'm sure that the analysts in Spain have compared, the sort of crimes committed with the same areas in acreage, the population, etc, to come up with figures that state Torrejieva has one of the highest crime rates in all of spain.
I think you have to get that into perspective...all of Spain,....not just the Costa Blanca.

The phrase "one of the highest crime rates in all of Spain" doesn't tell us anything unless it quotes an actual figure. Is it one of 3, 5, 10, 50, 100, 1000?? It also comes from a local (i.e. Spanish) english newspaper. My local rag in the UK mentions every minor/major local crime and makes the story appear sensational but these crimes hardly ever appear in the national press as taken in context of the whole country, it isn't all that newsworthy at all.

As you ask, lets look at the wider picture by looking at the British Government Foreign & Commonwealth Office website and see what they say about the wider picture. They survey the whole of Spain for our benefit and advise "You should be alert to street crime. But most visits to Spain are trouble free." They go on to point out that you should be wary of street crime in Madrid, Barcelona & Benidorm. They also advise to be on your guard against Terrorism everywhere in Spain but in particular Madrid, Santiago, Zaragoza, Avila & Denia where attacks have already been carried out. Funny that, no mention of Torrevieja, what with it being such a crime hotspot? Then again the FCO aren't selling newspapers. I guess we can assume that all of these places also share the label of having "one of the highest crime rates in all of Spain":D

http://www.fco.gov.uk/servlet/Front?pagename=OpenMarket%2FXcelerate%2FShowPage&c=Page&cid=1007029390590&a=KCountryAdvice&aid=1013618386442

Statistics can be manipulated to suit your cause, and whilst it is true that the Eastern European gangs operate all along the Costas, they seem to be concentrated in Torrevieja.

I don't have a cause, I just wanted to put my point of view forward based on my personal experience and opinion. I've no experience of Eastern European gangs but like you I've read about them operating all along the coasts of Spain. I've read a couple of reports that suggest to me that they have used the areas around Denia, Alicante, Santa Pola, Torrevieja and other areas towards the Costa Del Sol (and yes you've guessed it, articles found in local (i.e. Spanish) English newspapers). I've never read or assumed that they are "concentrated in Torrevieja". All the statistics I've based my replies on have been quoted by Sanji or your links. Speaking of which
and even though the crime rate has dropped by 40%, Torrevieja remains one of the highest places in all of Spain for crime.

The context can be manipulated further, by saying that crime has decreased by 20%

So which is it 20% or 40% :?:
Another take on the figures is....the amount of crime that is being committed in one area of Torrevieja, could be a higher percentage and your chances of being a victim increase significantly, then the figure of 3 in every 100, would rise.... but, the overall figure for all of Torrevieja are the figures quoted above, and will not reflect a true account of the actual crime figures in certain parts.

What :?: This figure is one you supplied - you have only a 3.25% chance of encountering crime in Torrevieja - based on the average of the whole area!.
Look at that another way, if in a neighbouring town of the same population etc, you have a 1.625% chance of encountering crime, then you have twice the chance of being a victim in Torrevieja.

That's a big "if", what town is this based on?
but robberies and handbag snatchings have rose by 37% in Alicante province..

Now my geography isn't that good but I believe Alicante province covers a wide area bordering Valencia in the North, Albacete in the West, the Med to the East and Murcia to the South. This isn't just confined to the Torrevieja area - lets make that clear.

This debate could and I am sure will still rage on. In the interests of letting other people post on the subject, I won't post again on this thread. I've had my say! In fact this is exactly the subject that I wish wouldn't get the airtime it does! Happy and safe holidays to everyone!! 8)
and even though the crime rate has dropped by 40%, Torrevieja remains one of the highest places in all of Spain for crime.

That figure was referring to Torrevieja.
The context can be manipulated further, by saying that crime has decreased by 20%

That figure was referring to the province of Alicante as per link supplied, and used as an example of how figures can be manipulated.
In fact this is exactly the subject that I wish wouldn't get the airtime it does!

Why is that, isn`t it good to talk?
My local rag in the UK mentions every minor/major local crime and makes the story appear sensational but these crimes hardly ever appear in the national press as taken in context of the whole country, it isn't all that newsworthy at all.

Actually, I base some of my views from the Spanish newspapers that I read online, but particularly the Spanish TV that I watch everyday. :wink: I unfortunately can`t post a link to the TV.
The phrase "one of the highest crime rates in all of Spain" doesn't tell us anything unless it quotes an actual figure. Is it one of 3, 5, 10, 50, 100, 1000?? It also comes from a local (i.e. Spanish) english newspaper.

Exactly, you wouldn`t think that they would even want to print such stories, and put potential holidaymakers off. :wink:
Like you say...happy holidays :wink:
Besos xxx
Sanji
My husbands family have had apartments and houses in Mil Palmaras Torroevija and Casas Blancas Murcia for twenty years and the only problems they had was one night one of the apartments was broken into and the safe robbed in Mil Palmaras and the house was broken into and robbed all they could carry went in Casas Blancas.
I don't like the area myself. I don't feel very safe there. I find it scruffy and not very attractive.
I feel the same way about the whole area of the costa Blanca.
We visited friends who have an apartment in Playa Flamenca. I didn't like it at all. It was like a cheap council estate with sun.
Only my opinion.
I have been a resident of Torrevieja, or to be more precise La Mata (a few Km north), for a good few years now and would like to add my observations.

To understand the crime statistics it is important to know the area.

The figures quoted are for the resident population divided by the number of crimes reported, but it is impossible to guess what the resident population of the area is at any one time. For instance, anyone resident in Spain for a period exceeding 6 months should have applied for Residencia, but the current waiting list for this particular document is currently about 14 months, and many people do not even bother applying. Also, in the summer months the number of people is estimated to increase four fold with the arrival of holiday makers. Torrevieja is recognized as being the most rapidly expanding city in Spain. I suggest that the figures quoted for crimes are total garbage.

The area mentioned by the original poster was Villamartin, which is a few Km inland and I would only recommend it as a base to stay if you are hiring or bringing a car. The restaurants in the square are horrendously expensive by Spanish standards, and drinks can be brought for a third of the price if you know where to go.
Another person gave their views on Playa Flamenca and La Zenia, which were entirely accurate.

As far as Eastern Europeans are concerned, my only dealings with them over the years is to hire them to do building and decoration work, which they complete adequately and very cheaply!

The urbanizations mentioned generally have a very high percentage of holiday homes. As these are left empty for many months of the year, they of course become targets for opportunist thieves. It is quite reassuring that the full time residents of these urbanizations have set up Neighborhood Watch schemes to protect the areas.

Summing up, I have never felt threatened or intimidated whilst living here. My wife feels entirely safe no matter what time of day or night, and my 13 year old son is allowed to go out whenever he wants without any problems whatsoever.

I could, however, recommend some much nicer places to stay for a holiday in the immediate area, than the ones mentioned.
Several posts of bickering and off-topic discussion have now been removed from this thread. Please keep it friendly folks !!

David :wave
face the facts-torre is the crime capital of spain and ive been many times from my hol home in almoradi and the place is scruffy and all built up,no character at all,its beyond me why anyone wants to live there....surely there are better places to live
Hello,

We have booked a villa in the above area in June. 4 adults all 50ish.

Can anyone give me any general info about the area, pubs, eating out, things to see and do, public transport, do's and dont's etc.

The pictures I have seen are nice and the description sounds lovely although I am slightly concerned with other posts re crime in the general area.

Thank you
Take a look at the post further down this forum.
(EDIT ... now merged with that topic ...David HT Mod)

If you give me an idea exactly where you are staying, and whether you are going to using a car or not, I will be pleased to help.

Let me know what you like doing......sightseeing.....type of food you want to try....shopping......sport....etc.
OK As I have already said, Villamartin is a couple of Km inland so having a car is essential. The best deals on hire cars are the ones that give you a full tank of fuel and expect the same on the cars return. Cars can be booked online and picked up at the airports. Remember to bring both sections of your licence!

If you smoke. Since 1st. Jan cigarettes can only be brought from official tabacos outlets, there are none close to Villamartin, so either stock up at the airport on your arrival, (the shop at Alicante is close to the departure gate), or a better deal can be had in Torrevieja, where you usually get a free bottle of booze or two if buying in bulk. The tabacos here is at the end and opposite the street market.

The easiest way to get to Villamartin is using the N332 from the airport, south towards Cartagena. You will be using this road a lot, so get used to it! From the roundabout at La Zenia turn right and head inland. Villamartin has two main squares with bars and restaurants, Los Dolses and Villamartin itself. Avoid them both. They are overpriced tourist traps, and not worthy of a mention. The one exception is 'The Real India' restaurant in Los Dolses (the first square you come to), the food here is superb but pricey. Expect to pay around 50 Euro a head with booze.

In contrast to the UK, Chinese food is cheaper than Indian. To be honest, although I like a curry I refuse to pay the prices here. If your taste for Chinese is hot, then the best restaurant has to be 'Big House' in La Mata (about 10 Km from you), a meal for 4 including drinks would not cost much more than 50 Euro in total. See the difference?!!!!
Slightly blander food can be had at the 'Dynastia' at Punta Prima (nice decor and gardens).
For the biggest T-bones outside of America you will have to try Federicos. Take the N332 north towards Alicante, at the roundabout just past the San Jaime hospital turn right and follow the road for about 1Km, the Chinese restaurant at the traffic lights does a Menu del Dia for 5:50 Euro (Including wine), further on the left is Federicos restaurant, and a few doors down Federicos cafe bar. The restaurant is a little posher, but the food in both places is excellent. Enormous T-bones for less than 15 Euro. At the very end of this parade is Magani's bar, beer 2 Euros a pint .and sensible (Spanish) measures of spirit.
Past Magani's you will come to the Torre del Moro, turn left here and just past the Cabo Cervera hotel is Don Marianos restaurant, and a little further Barlovento, these two restaurants, along with Maison de la Costa (Torrevieja centre) and La Finca de Eduardos' (Nr. Campoamor) should be visited on 'special' occasions (ie. nights that your friends are paying!). To shorten this post I will give directions if asked by email. La Torre is good for lunchtimes, take the road directly opposite the entrance of the hotel Masa (nr. Torre del Moro). Menu is 7 Euros, with wine.

Nights out. On the N332 head south ignoring the areas of Cabo Roig and La Zenia (punterville). Try the bars and salsa clubs at Lo Pagan. Remember, things do not warm up in Spanish areas 'til late.
A dinner and show at the Santa Pola Palace could be worth doing as well. There is a casino near the Carrefour shopping centre.

Trips and sightseeing.
Torrevieja town"¦"¦Street market selling some reasonable stuff. Cafes around the square. Good seafood restaurant on Ramon Gallud. Nice marina. Submarine to explore.

Santa Pola"¦"¦Boat ride to Tabarca island. Nice beaches.

Elche .Priests Garden ( Huerto del Cura), take a picnic. Also some well preserved Arab fortifications. Nice old part to the town.

Also try .Rio Safari (zoo)"¦"¦The caves at Busot (amazing) Waterfalls at El Algar (stunning)"¦"¦A trip to Guadalest (historic) .Cartagena marina ..Alicante town.

Best beaches can be found at La Marina .nice sand, sea shallow for a long way out. No hassle. Large nudist area (if you are into that!).

Much has been said about crime. I will not dwell on this too much except to tell you how thieves operate and how to avoid being a victim.
The shunt .A car will deliberately rear end you, when you get out to investigate your car will get nicked.
Distraction .Somebody (usually a pretty girl) will engage you in conversation whilst her friend rifles your car, sometimes with you in it!
Opportunist Hire cars generally are not alarmed, neither are rental properties. Use bum bags rather than handbags and stay alert, even on beaches and especially in markets. Carry only what you need and hide the rest somewhere that is not obvious.

Enjoy your holiday, and feel free to email me for any further information and directions.
What a load of old rubbish! I go to La Zenia Golf 2 twice a year, a friend of ours own a villa there and also friends of ours go there too.

Yes there is a little crime, but you'll get that anywhere in you go in Spain or indeed any other holiday destination. I feel a damn lot safer walking around La Zenia Golf at 11pm at night than I do round this estate in Ipswich! At the end of the day you just have to have common sense and a brain, these people who get robbed of their entire holiday spending money are stupid, you don't take it all with you when you go out, lock it away in a safe if there is one, if not, USE YOUR FLAMING BRAINS for gods sake. Wake up and smell the coffee.

Crap about Torrevieja being built on Mafia money! You people must live in some fantasy land! I would GLADLY swap living there for here anyday if I had the money.

I can't wait to get back out there in May this year.
Holiday Truths Forum

Post a Reply

Please sign in or register an account to reply to this post.

Sign in / Register

Holiday Truths Forum Ship image

Get the best deals!

from our cruise, ski and holiday partners

You can change your email preferences at any time.

Yes, I want to save money by receiving personalised travel emails with awesome deals from Holiday Truths group companies which are hotholidays.co.uk,getrcuising.co.uk and getskiing.co.uk. By subscribing I agree to the Privacy Policy

No, thank you.