Tour Operators and Travel Agents

Discussions regarding Tour Operators and Travel Agents
Hi, we had a voucher which we just sent off against the final balance. All was fine, however, I'd take a photocopy of the voucher and send it to them recorded delivery if I were you, just to be sure they receive it ok.
Thanks for the reply :)

Do you mind me asking - where they Virgin Holiday vouchers? If so, how long did it take to get the amount deducted from your final balance?

I'll probably be going on a late deal so will be paying the full amount up front.

Thanks in advance :D
About 4-5 years back we had a problem with Virgin Atlantic. As recompense they issued vouchers (I wanted a cash refund) and these were valid for 18 months from date of issue and had a value of £50 each. We had several.

It was not practical to use them the following year as, even with their value the total cost of flights with Virgin plus booking hotels privately was greater than a 'package' offered with an alternate Tour Op.

So, about 17 months after issue I contacted Virgin Atlantic and arranged a one-off, final extension of a further 18 months on the vouchers.

The following year was much the same problem but I was able to sell them to a business colleague who in turn used them against a Virgin Atlantic flight.

Taking all aspects into consideration I would NEVER accept vouchers as reimbursement by a Tour Operator. They are too restrictive and tie you into a company who has usually proven to have failed you once.

Mike
Thanks for the info. I agree that vouchers alone aren't the answer - it's taken us nearly 18 months to find a deal we might want to use them on. We did push for a cash settlement and in the end were given this also. So I don't know whether the vouchers are still officially valid or not, whether we should only book over the phone, or whether we can book online.

No two call centre operators seem to give me the same advice when it comes to booking with vouchers. I'm loath to shell out, send the vouchers in, and then find that for some reason they aren't valid, or I haven't jumped through all the required hoops :cry:

I can't seem to find a number to call virgin on and speak to someone other than a booking rep. They also seem to be keen to get you booked over the phone as quickly as possible - wonder if they're on commission?

If anyone has had any dealings with Virgin Customer Relations, I'd really appreciate a contact name of someone who has the authority to make an iformed decision!

Best Wishes

Jeff
Virgin Atlantic - Customer Relations
PO Box 747
Dunstable
LU6 9AH
UK

Fax:
08701 900959

this address was lifted off their website.

I recall ringing a Crawley/Gatwick number to arrange extension of the vouchers for a further 18 months - they were quite reasonable and helpful. I had a letter explaining the procedure and the validity of the vouchers given to me along with the vouchers. You may also have similar info.

Virgin Atlantic Head Office 01293 562345

The above might be a better number to try.

Mike
Thanks for your help Mike - much appreciated :D

I've just tried to call the number you very kindly found for me - apparently now Customer Relations don't accept phone calls directly, they request that all complaints etc are put in writing :wink:

I'm sure I'll get to the bottom of this one eventually...

At the moment, it looks like I'll have to risk paying the full price of a holiday with them and hope that they cough up a refund for the vouchers...

Judging by the trouble I've had getting hold of them over this, it doesn't fill me with much confidence.

Like someone said earlier, they give you these vouchers because you've already experienced a problem with them - they really are the gift that keeps on giving :lol:

Any way, thanks again :)
A few years ago I had a 50pound virgin voucher, (compo for the fact that my son's seat back TV didn't work on a flight home from Florida :roll:)

The following year I traded it against the cost of another virgin holiday. The way I did this was when it came to paying the final balance, say for example it was 2000pounds, I sent them a cheque for 1,950pounds plus the voucher for 50pounds. (sorry pound sign not working!). Didn't see how they could protest as the voucher should be as good as money, after all they issued it. Anyway they accepted it with no problems.

Not sure how this would work with a credit or debit card payment though, or an online booking. But it seemed simpler than paying the full amount and then trying to get reimbursed for the voucher, if you see what I mean.
Good move doepsmc.

I would be wary of paying real money and hoping to get cash back for the voucher later. Bet there's a mall-print clause that says they must be tendered at the time of booking/paying.

Be careful with that one.

Mike
I agree, I have always sent the voucher instead of the money and never had a problem. It takes about an extra 7 days to show against the balance but they are fine with that.
most of their 2007 brochures are out now, though up until april 2007, the rest should come out about end of april this year for the remainder of 2007
Hi claire16,
we are travelling to Barbados on 12March,tickets arrived TODAY,and all correct,not bad for a horrendous company.
Have to leap to their defence - I've been travelling abroad with holidays companies since the early 70s and have travelled three times with Virgin - by far the best outfit from start to finish(if not the cheapest!)
Me too. 3 times and hardly any problems. Once one of the seat back TV's didnt work very well, I wrote and they sent me a £50 voucher. Flights both out and back were to time. Food OK. Resort Reps OK. Hotels (2 x disney & 1 x Sheraton) fine.

Although not the cheapest at the end of the day they are still mass market. They more or less do what they say on the package. At least you don't have to keep trecking out to Sanford with them and the seat pitch seems marginally better than on the charters that are their main competitors.

As with all mass market operators they are always going to have some unsatisfied customers. I would be interested to see stats on Virgin complaints, in comparison to Travel City Direct, thomson, airtours and FC.

Might use them next year for a 4th time so probably am tempting fate with this post. :)
Hi everyone,
I've just been on the Virgin Holiday website and noticed that Summer 2007 preview brochures are available from 2/3 which is next week.
Thought a few people might be interested if you don't already know. 8)

Fly drive prices for up to end Oct 2007 are on the website but I'm not sure if it's possible to book on-line yet.
I like Virgin Atlantic flights so I'm just trying to work out if it's cheaper to book a fly-drive just now with Virgin Holidays or wait and try and book everything independently later. Decisions, decisions...
Julie
Abyone tried Virgin Web site for bookings. Doesn't seem to be working for booking fly drives for next year.
I haven't tried to book a holiday, but this link works for me...

http://www.virginholidays.co.uk/brochures/florida/info/flydrive/

Pippy :D
wilma 9000 - may depend when in 2007 you are trying for. Not sure they have on sale anything past May 2007 at the moment - however I understand there 2007 preview brochure for Florida May-Oct 2007 is out on 2 March.
Can get the fly drive page up Pippy but when I put in my date for Feb next year - comes up page not found.
Prices up to an including Oct 07 are on the Virgin website today for selected accomodation and fly drives and booking is now possible for these dates.
Just to let everyone know-prices appear to be the same as summer 06.
Holiday Truths Forum

Post a Reply

Please sign in or register an account to reply to this post.

Sign in / Register

Holiday Truths Forum Ship image

Get the best deals!

from our cruise, ski and holiday partners

You can change your email preferences at any time.

Yes, I want to save money by receiving personalised travel emails with awesome deals from Holiday Truths group companies which are hotholidays.co.uk,getrcuising.co.uk and getskiing.co.uk. By subscribing I agree to the Privacy Policy

No, thank you.