Greece - Rhodes Discussion Forum

Discussions regarding holidays in Rhodes.
I find that by the time the banks charge the currency exchange rate fee for transactions abroad it's preferable to use cash. Smaller tavernas will usually take cards butdon't really like them.Many shops charge a % for using cards on some goods, i.e. cigarettes.Have a great holiday.
We did get an excellent rate from the banks in May when using a Nationwide card. I've never used a debit card at a taverna because it's never occurred to me.
No, I've never thought about a card in a taverna either rpbristol but I have a friend who does. I believe the Nationwide card is the exception to the rule. Needless to say (re. my previous post) I don't have a Nationwide card!
doesn't mater what brand of credit card you use, in both Greece and Cyprus credit card purchases of all types are usually loaded by around 2-21/2 % before you pay for the goods, this is to cover the retailers banking cost, therefore its normal cheaper to pay cash on nominal items

yasus
wizard
Thanks for all the replies, it has confirmed my memory that the smaller tavernas prefer cash, shouldn't be a problem seeing as the exchange rate is picking up a little here(depends if you're buying or selling euros I s'pose).
As for the type of card, I was intending on using a Santander(Abbey as I a remember it) "Zero" card. Has done me well in the past as there is no loading and you get market exchange rate, you can also load it before you go so you can withdraw cash(as I will) and not get charged cash advance rates!
Anyhoo, thanks again!
Santander(Abbey as I a remember it) "Zero" card. Has done me well in the past as there is no loading and you get market exchange rate,

they never use to charge you at this end.. but the traders in Greece/Cyprus usually load from the front [before you put your pin in]

yasus
wizard
It appears there is a compatability problem re Mastercard & Maestro cards in ATMs on Rhodes. Machines are not dispensing cash
Trevor, is this a temporary thing? I only ask as my work colleague is in Lindos as we type and he has been using the same card as I have (Santander Mastercard) with no problems since last Wednesday?
Hi . In our village of Kalithies, there is a notice posted at the only bank, about there being a problem with these 2 types of card.
On the friends of pefkos web site, people are reporting not being able to get cash from the 2 ATMs in Pefkos.This has been the situation for a couple of weeks
Thanks for that Trevor, I don't know where my colleague has been taking money out then, whether it's in Lindos itself or elsewhere.
Do you know if Rhodes Town would have this problem as well? I will be staying in Kolymbia but gather the ATM there is a bit flaky so planned on withdrawing money when I visit Rhodes Town itself?!?

Thanks again.
Hello. Sorry, we have not been to Rhodes Town for some weeks. So dont know the situation there.
I have just looked on the friendsofpefkos web site , on this subject. A post from this morning says the problem is with Mastercard & Maestro cards with a chip.The problem is only with ATMs. Greek tecknowledgy has yet to catch up. The cards can be used in shops etc .
Mmmm, Just off the phone to my colleague who is in Lindos, he's adamant he's been withdrawing cash from ATM's at various locations over the last 7 days. Admittedly some machines don't work first time, or not at all, but he's still managed to get money via the Maestro/Mastercard network.
I leave in 2 hours and don't know whether to take a chance or get a crappy exchange rate back here?

Ach well, either way, in 12 hours I'll be in sunny Rhodes, hope the weather is fantastic!
just a quickie, all 5 machines used over here took the mastercard no problems!
Holiday Truths Forum

Post a Reply

Please sign in or register an account to reply to this post.

Sign in / Register

Holiday Truths Forum Ship image

Get the best deals!

from our cruise, ski and holiday partners

You can change your email preferences at any time.

Yes, I want to save money by receiving personalised travel emails with awesome deals from Holiday Truths group companies which are hotholidays.co.uk,getrcuising.co.uk and getskiing.co.uk. By subscribing I agree to the Privacy Policy

No, thank you.