Egypt Discussion Forum

Discussions regarding holidays in Egypt.
We are off to Makardi bay jan can you tell me how much a visa is please and do you get it at the airport. Thanks
madasharley wrote:
we just got back from sharm and i had the correct money in dollars 15. but they refused this and said it had to be egyption or sterling ?

my friend at work is going to taba but has booked a day trip to Cairo so i know he needs to get a visa at the airport, what is the current charge for this and what currency is best, i told him to take £15 sterling and they would give him any change in egyptian money , i know before when we went to Marsa Alam i had some US dollars spare and paid $15 each for our visa.
Thanks.
i told him to take £15 sterling and they would give him any change in egyptian money

That would be the correct amount and the best currency to take, just put £15 Sterling in English notes in to each passport.
Thanks for that Kiltman, i told him getting a visa is fairly straightforward , but he's a bit worried being his first visit to Egypt, its so much easier when you know exactly what to do!!
$15 is about £9 in our money i thought it would be better to get a few $ for tips and visa. If you pay £15 your paying more. Am i right in thinking that ???
$15 is about £9 in our money

Yes that is about right but if you are paying for your visa in US $ you will have to pay more than 15 or they probably won't accept it :que if you place £15 Sterling in each passport you will (should) get some change back which makes it about £12 per Visa you will pay.

Tips wise you are better trying to get Egyptian pounds (LE) as this is much easier for the local to use.

Just a small point, where you buy your Visa on arrival is a small bank and they will also be able to exchange currency for you.
Hi i was told today in thomas cook that i dont need a visa if i am only staying in Makardi Bay is this true?
See a lot of comment such as "You don't need a visa if you are only staying in Sinai - write "Sinai-Only" on the landing card", however we are going for 21 days and if your stay is for more than 15 days a visa IS required, even if you are not going further than your hotel.
Hi All
going to sharm first week in april ,will we need a visa,some tell me yes and as many say no.my grand daughter has mentioned she would like to visit the pyramids.
my grand daughter has mentioned she would like to visit the pyramids.

If you intend to stay with in the Sinai area only (roughly Sharm and surrounding area) you don't need a Visa, however if you intend to go further a field, Cairo and Pyramids for example, you will require a Visa.

Graham
Hi all
Going to Sharm el Sheik in April does anyone know if i need a visa to go on the Red Sea Cruise
Wouldn't think so - not unless it takes you to a port in, say, Hurghada...
Hi,

Off to sharm tomorrow for a holiday and i am travelling to cairo to see the pyramids.

The thing is this is a suprise for my girlfriend and if we need to get visas to travel around the country shes going to become suspicious!

I know its wayyyy too late to get the visas myself now and to keep it a secret from her, but i was just wondering if i could get the visas in the uk airport or can that only be done once landing in sharm?

Thanks.
Hi Mark

You can only get them when you arrive at the airport in Egypt, you don't have to tell her anything other than it is an entry Visa that must be purchased when you arrive.
Go to one of the small banks just as you arrive and hand over your passports and £15 each, you don't have to explain any plans or anything so she shouldn't realise why you are getting them.

Have a great time and do come back and tell us about it :tup

Graham
any updates please on the price of a visa, we were in sharm two years ago, and it was £10 sterling per person, or you could pay in us dollars $15 then, which was about £7-50p.
but have read on this forum from last year, they dont accept US $ anymore, any updates most appreciated

jeppo
Hi,

we got ours a couple of week ago at the start of our holiday they were £10 and im sure it said $15 on the actual visa.
hi marklaruk,
thanks for your reply, most appreciated
visa ? staying in sharks bay, were thinking of going to pyramids [flying] and if we do where do we get them from thanks xxx
If you are going outside Sharm el Sheikh, you will need a visa. You can get it before you go, from the Egyptian Embassy (which we did last time) or you can get it on arrival at the airport, along with the world & his granny (or so it seems!)
Holiday Truths Forum

Post a Reply

Please sign in or register an account to reply to this post.

Sign in / Register

Holiday Truths Forum Ship image

Get the best deals!

from our cruise, ski and holiday partners

You can change your email preferences at any time.

Yes, I want to save money by receiving personalised travel emails with awesome deals from Holiday Truths group companies which are hotholidays.co.uk,getrcuising.co.uk and getskiing.co.uk. By subscribing I agree to the Privacy Policy

No, thank you.